Why become a member? ×

Acme cabs!!??

tempo

[quote name='The Funk' post='26052' date='Jul 2 2007, 02:52 PM']Is it wrong for a funk player to dream of a double bass stack? :|[/quote]

Not at all - both Bootsy and Larry Graham would approve!

[quote name='The Funk' post='26052' date='Jul 2 2007, 02:52 PM']I think I'm sold. Now my only dilemma is which Acme cab or cabs? Hmm... I'm thinking maybe a B2 with a B2W - at the moment I like using the built-in crossover in the DB680 to send lows directly to my 15 and I run the 2x10 full-range.

If I got 2x B2s, then I suppose I'd keep the option of doing it that way or running both of them full-range.[/quote]

Your current approach is definitely a good one with your Hartke stack. I'd recommend a pair of B2s over a B2 and B2W - the cost saving is pretty minimal with the B2W and the extra mid/high output of a pair of mids and tweeters can be useful, particularly when you're on a stage but using the bass rig for the house sound, so the lower cab is more inline with audience ears. Also with a matched pair you can keep one at home and one where you rehearse and just take both for louder gigs, they make an excellent small PA for parties or acoustic gigs and they stack up as pretty fierce studio monitors when you're recording.

[quote name='The Funk' post='26052' date='Jul 2 2007, 02:52 PM']You may have solved my low end problem![/quote]

If Acmes can't then nothing can!

Alex

[quote name='The Funk' post='26078' date='Jul 2 2007, 03:49 PM']And if I got 4 of them I could have one stack on my side of the stage and another on the other side. :)[/quote]

Actually you shouldn't (hardly) ever separate bass sources due to cancellation problems. From the BFM site:

"Sub Placement:
While it’s customary with PA to have speakers to either side of the stage, that’s usually not the best way to place subs. Subs work best when they’re placed either close together for mutual coupling, or spread very wide to cover large areas. The basic rule is to have them either less than a quarter-wavelength apart or more than two wavelengths apart for their pass band, which for 40 to 100 Hz means less than 2.8 feet or more than 56 feet. Boundary loading should be used whenever it’s practical to do so. Having subs next to a wall gets you 6dB of additional sensitivity, and putting them in a corner an extra 12dB.

If there is a 'prime directive' when it comes to sub placement it is this: Never place subs with their radiating planes between 2.5 feet and 8 feet of a boundary.If you do at some frequency the within the 35 to 100 Hz passband, depending on the distance, the reflected wave will be 180 degrees out of phase when it meets the original wave again, cancelling it out.
For detailed information on boundaries look here: [url="http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/CancellationMode.htm"]http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/CancellationMode.htm[/url] "

A four B2 or dual B4 stack would be a pretty terrifying thing and at full volume would be way too loud for any drummer to keep up.

Alex