Why become a member? ×

Flats!

Telebass

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='79569' date='Oct 25 2007, 09:06 PM']Try Status Hotwire half rounds.[/quote]

That's exactly what I have on my Ibanez ATK fretless.

They sound just right, but they don't seem any less flat than 'flat's.

But they do feel better under your fingers than 'trad' flats.

And they have a bit more 'presence' if you know what I mean ;-)

[quote name='fleamail' post='92582' date='Nov 22 2007, 10:28 AM']Here is a clip with my [url="http://www.noiz.gr/modules/My_Uploads/user_folders/fleamail/flatmust3.mp3"]Mustang With Flats[/url] Recorded direct to soundcard.

They are webstrings flats and I haven't changed them for almost 2 years now! They still sound great and I play this bass almost everyday![/quote]

I like that sound!

I've got stainless Fender flat 55-105's on my fretless, mainly because they were the only flat 105's that I could find at the time. Actually I wanted 110's but they were like hens teeth. The same set have been on this guitar in both fretted and fretless incarnations for over 4 or 5 years now (granted 3 of those years were spent tucked away in a case in the back room, unplayed - but they were still in tune after 3 years) and are still every bit as playable now.

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread, because I want to order a set of flats today and I'm getting mental indigestion about the choice and variety: D'addarios? Trubass Black Nylons? GHS Precisions? Rotosound Jazz Flats?

There's so much choice and variation in price.

One thing I need to consider is that I'm a beginner and the guitar will have only just come out of the repair shop after having a new scratchplate and jack socket put on. So ideally I want to either not have to adjust the set up or be able to do it easily myself.

The guitar is a cheap Squier Affinity P-bass, but I'm looking for a deep warm acoustic sound to go with a latin / salsa band, not a bright slap ringing sound.

So I don't want to spend a fortune on them and would like them to arrive within the week and be able to get them installed with the minimum of fuss.

So - what's recommended?

*how about a poll on these kind of threads, so get a quick idea of what people suggest without reading through three pages of text?*

I used Rotosound Swing Bass for years; I used to love the tone (does anyone else remember the line on the back of the pack-"Thank you for your esteemed patronage"?) but when I got my Squier VMJ fretless I decided to 'go flat' and put some D'addario flatwound chromes on it.
I love the tone, it's pure bass, almost an upright type sound with a nice nice bit of growl there too. They did feel strange at first, (a bit like driving on black ice :) ) but I got used to that pretty quickly. They do have a higher tension than the Swing bass, there's a lot less give under my right hand. If I'm totally honest that's the only thing I dislike about them, but it's a small price to pay for the tone.

All the best,

Rob

OKay - i'm torn between Rotosound's Tru-bass black nylons and D'addario Chromes

The Tru-bass sound like they have a great sound, but I'm concerned whether the heavy gauge will require me to tinker about with the truss rod and stuff and file out the grooves etc. Is that likely to be necessary for an Affinity p-bass? Also how long does the nylon coating last compared with the metal taping on regular flats?

THe Chromes sound like great strings, but are about £10 a set more expensive than the tru-bass - so my natural meanness is entering in as a factor.

I'm leaving regular Rotosound jazz flats out because they're regarded as having a much brighter sound than normal flats (which is exactly what I don't want and why I'm investigating flats in the first place)

Any advice?

I'd like to get an order placed tonight before bed.

Thanks guys

*EDIT* - I've done for a set of Chromes. Although not the cheapest, these seemed to be the middle ground - with very very few people acitvely disliking them. and I wanted my first set of flats to be reliable. I can always experiment when I know what I'm playing abotu with and I've got spare cash hanging about.

Edited by lanark

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on D'addario Chromes- I've just put a set on my defretted Yamaha BB414 and they sound great, but will sound even better once I've put some mileage on them! These do sound quite bright to start with, but stick with them- they settle in very nicely after a few hours of practice/a couple of gigs, and the tone really mellows out and develops as the 'zingy' top-end fades. I'm intending to leave these on this bass for as long as I own it!

To me, Chromes feel a lot more like heavy-gauge roundwounds in terms of perceived tension under the fingers- they feel tighter than the standard-gauge rounds on my Jazz Bass, but they're definitely not stiff-feeling like Rotosound flats, that's for sure! I think in terms of value for money there's not much to touch them either- I'd love to try some La Bellas and TI's, but my wallet keeps baulking at the price! :)

I really rate these for acoustic basses too- I fitted a set of Chromes to my now-sold Tacoma Thunderchief and it really transformed the tone for the better!

[quote name='barnettiuk' post='575879' date='Aug 20 2009, 06:04 PM']Anyone tried LaBella Deep Talkin' flats? What are they like?[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=59767&st=0&gopid=592599&#entry592599"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry592599[/url]

:)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='575881' date='Aug 20 2009, 06:06 PM']They rock.. they're punchy and focussed, nice tension, feel great![/quote]

I've just replaced my Rotosound short-scale flatwound strings with a set of La Bella Deep Talkin' Bass strings (043 - 104) and . . . Wow! What a difference! Better tension. Better made. Better balance. Better everything really.

I'm sad because I like to support UK companies but will be sticking with the La Bellas in the future - sorry Rotosound!

First off, best place/price for LaBella (snigger - sorry that sounds plain rude to me :blush: ) and Thomastik flats online?
I checked out Stringbusters but they are out of TI's

Secondly, this bass is usually tuned a semitone lower and D tuned (E down to C#) would this be too much for Ti's tension-wise.

Lastly, anyone using string through body have problems with string length with any of the above brands?

Cheers.

Rich.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='594884' date='Sep 10 2009, 04:52 PM']First off, best place/price for LaBella (snigger - sorry that sounds plain rude to me :blush: ) and Thomastik flats online?
I checked out Stringbusters but they are out of TI's

Secondly, this bass is usually tuned a semitone lower and D tuned (E down to C#) would this be too much for Ti's tension-wise.

Lastly, anyone using string through body have problems with string length with any of the above brands?

Cheers.

Rich.[/quote]
I can partly answer 1 and 3

I use Stringsdirect for my TI Flats - always deliver fast

I have used TI Flats on 2009 Fender Am Std Precisions (which have string through bodies) with no problems

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='594923' date='Sep 10 2009, 05:18 PM']I can partly answer 1 and 3

I use Stringsdirect for my TI Flats - always deliver fast

I have used TI Flats on 2009 Fender Am Std Precisions (which have string through bodies) with no problems[/quote]Cheers bro.

You could quickly tune your bass as above and go for the grand slam. :) :brow:

Do you use standard length?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='594960' date='Sep 10 2009, 06:02 PM']Do you use standard length?[/quote]
Yep, standard length fits a string-through body American Fender P or J. Here's the link. [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/624-thomastik_jf344_jazz_flatwound_bass_43_100_"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/62...nd_bass_43_100_[/url]

Edited by Clarky

just fitted a set of status flats to my p, fisrt experience i have ever had with flats. I love them :) Very surprised at how different they feel, and how much easier they seem to play. They will certainly be stayin on for the time being, i could be tempted to go for some TI's though...

Just took some lightish gauge Rotosound roundwounds off my Vintage bass and installed a set of La Bella Deep Talkin' Jamerson flats.

I'll obviously have to redo the intonation but the neck really hasn't moved much (check it again tomorrow tho')

I don't notice they're a whole lot harder to play and they clearly push out some volume- had to turn down my bass to get a clean sound from the amp.

Watch this space...........

cheers
Ian