Why become a member? ×

Tecamp

JimGavin

Funnily enough I stumbled across this ad yesterday and thought it must be a mistake! Already have a PUMA 1000 and an M212 and I can tell you guys you will not be disappointed the quality of this gear. The remaining combos are great value for anyone looking for superlight quality gear.

[quote name='RussFM' post='638387' date='Oct 27 2009, 07:52 PM']Yeah my confirmation email says S212 - I would prefer the M, but either way, a lightweight 2x12 that handles up to 600w is exactly what I need!

That would be amazing! £2700 off RRP for an all-valve amp, they won't last long![/quote]

It isn't an all valve amp, iirc it just has a couple of valves in (inc' one in the power amp section)... the dead give away is the power to weight ratio! :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='638484' date='Oct 27 2009, 09:07 PM']Am I right in thinking the combo is a 2x10 with a Puma 500 inside for £500 new?!?!?!?

I hope its 4 ohm...Itll be much better for my small gigs.[/quote]

Thats my understanding

see here:
[url="http://www.tec-amp.com/index.php?id=144"]http://www.tec-amp.com/index.php?id=144[/url]

Nothing to lose at that price

Edited by Platypus

[quote name='bassbloke' post='638385' date='Oct 27 2009, 07:50 PM']Have to ask, anyone tempted by the Bad Bull and a pair of 8x10s?[/quote]

Anyone considering the Bad Bull (and that is a stonking bargain) should be aware that you can't run a 4 ohm load off it. :)

It operates at silly wattages BUT they are 8 ohms per output or 16 ohms bridged... BEWARE if you have a 4 ohm load! :rolleyes:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='638522' date='Oct 27 2009, 09:43 PM']The 2x10 combo is running an 8 ohm internal load, so you'd need an 8 ohm extension cab to get the 500w. :)[/quote]

I dont understand...the info says its 4 ohms...yet it doesnt confirm it. I need to double check.

Model:
Puma Combo 210
Configuration:
2 x 10” TecAmp LE10-65 4 ohms THIS BIT
Preamp:
solid state preamp with gain, taste, lo, lomid, himid, hi, master controls, switchable mute, DI pre/post, XLR balanced DI out, 1 x effects loop, tuner out, line out, line in
Power Amp:
Class D amplifier, 320 w; 500 w / 4 ohms
Power supply:
switching power supply
Cooling:
high quality temperature controlled fan
Tweeter:
1 x NTM-1 hi-mid speaker with double Neodym magnet system 4” cone
Freq. Response:
35-18.000 Hz
Dimensions (W x H x D):
44 x 65 x 41 cm;
17” x 25,5” x 16”
Weight:
20,5 kg / 46 lbs

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='638532' date='Oct 27 2009, 09:48 PM']I dont understand...the info says its 4 ohms...yet it doesnt confirm it. I need to double check.

Model:
Puma Combo 210
Configuration:
2 x 10” TecAmp LE10-65 4 ohms THIS BIT
Preamp:
solid state preamp with gain, taste, lo, lomid, himid, hi, master controls, switchable mute, DI pre/post, XLR balanced DI out, 1 x effects loop, tuner out, line out, line in
Power Amp:
Class D amplifier, 320 w; 500 w / 4 ohms
Power supply:
switching power supply
Cooling:
high quality temperature controlled fan
Tweeter:
1 x NTM-1 hi-mid speaker with double Neodym magnet system 4” cone
Freq. Response:
35-18.000 Hz
Dimensions (W x H x D):
44 x 65 x 41 cm;
17” x 25,5” x 16”
Weight:
20,5 kg / 46 lbs[/quote]

"Every Puma combo boasts an external Speakon® output for the connection of an additional speaker cabinet. "

To add an additional cabinet the internal drivers would have to be an 8 ohm load otherwise were it a 4 ohm load you'd potentially be going down to 2 ohms! :)

There's a long running thread over on TB and I've seen something in there about 320w into the combo internal load, which differs from the standalone puma amp doing 260w into an 8 ohm load... don't ask me how they do that. :rolleyes:

Here we go; feel free to try and read the whole 30 pages. :lol:

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482991&highlight=tecamp&page=27"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.p...amp&page=27[/url]

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='638546' date='Oct 27 2009, 10:01 PM']There's a long running thread over on TB and I've seen something in there about 320w into the combo internal load, which differs from the standalone puma amp doing 260w into an 8 ohm load... don't ask me how they do that.[/quote]

It's because the larger, twin speaker combos have the 500w power section and the single speaker combos have the 350w power section.

In order to get full power from either, you need to plug in another 8ohm cab. The 2x12 and 2x10 are pretty loud as they come, so anyone thinking about splashing on one, don't hold back.

D.

Hmm

Thanks guys

I just had a look to see if they had a 2x10 8ohm cab to match it...seems its just 4 ohm cabs.

Hmmm....I really don't know whether to just get a mega cheap 2x12 thats uber light or the 2x10 combo now! The 2x10 is a better value deal....but the 2x12 cab is 4 ohms and my LM3 would be great with it. Its also the Small version, which is what Id want ideally.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='638578' date='Oct 27 2009, 10:33 PM']Hmmm....I really don't know whether to just get a mega cheap 2x12 thats uber light or the 2x10 combo now! The 2x10 is a better value deal....but the 2x12 cab is 4 ohms and my LM3 would be great with it. Its also the Small version, which is what Id want ideally.[/quote]
An S212 with the LM3 would make a cracking lightweight rig I think.
Having said that, if the Puma 500 head is easily removable on the combo, that is a bargain at £499 alone.

I would have jumped at a 2x12 combo at that price if there were any left.

[quote name='Lew-Bass' post='638599' date='Oct 27 2009, 11:01 PM']Will the 2x12 combos be at the same price when they get more stock in?[/quote]
From the sounds of it, that's all the stock there is...

I would have loved a combo, but I've got the Walkabout Scout. Don't need one.... still want one, though. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='638603' date='Oct 27 2009, 11:05 PM']From the sounds of it, that's all the stock there is...

I would have loved a combo, but I've got the Walkabout Scout. Don't need one.... still want one, though. :)[/quote]

I dont need one...but at £499...for a 2x10 with that amp built in....mmmm! Its that or the S212....but ive read some unpositive reviews on the new S212....mind you that doesnt mean a thing nowadays..could have been a duff unit.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='638603' date='Oct 27 2009, 11:05 PM']From the sounds of it, that's all the stock there is...

I would have loved a combo, but I've got the Walkabout Scout. Don't need one.... still want one, though. :)[/quote]

Ah let's hope not.. if not, I'll have to settle for the 210. Still a great deal but I have a feeling that 12's would better suit my sound, and at only 1kg more weight, it'd be ideal

EDIT: Just thinking, would there be THAT much difference between a 212 and a 210 cab?

Edited by Lew-Bass

[quote name='Musicman20' post='638604' date='Oct 27 2009, 11:06 PM']but ive read some unpositive reviews on the new S212....mind you that doesnt mean a thing nowadays..could have been a duff unit.[/quote]
From what I've read I understand the newer rear port S212 have had a couple of issues. I think these will be the front ported models like mine, as the Performer amp on the same page is no longer produced, but best check with the store. I've gigged my S212 with a TC RH450 for 5 months now with no problem.

Maybe someone would be up for a trade on the 210 and 212 combos in the future :) . Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the 210 combo, epic pricing. Would it really go for £1400 new? I know it says RRP but how often do you see companies bump that up to make it look a better discount

[quote name='RussFM' post='638640' date='Oct 27 2009, 11:38 PM']It's £1400 on Bass Direct and GAK yep![/quote]

Jeez! Gonna be ringing up at 10am on the dot for this one I think. I just hope that the site automatically updates itself once an order is made and there really is '+4' left in stock!

Edited by Lew-Bass

[quote name='RussFM' post='638626' date='Oct 27 2009, 11:26 PM']Sold out of 2x12s, 4x10s and the 2x12 combo. Tempted to buy the Puma before anyone else reads this thread tomorrow![/quote]

One of the 2x12 cabs I have on order, and I'll be phoning up to cancel that tomorrow morning cos I've ordered the 4x10 as well. If anyone wants the 2x12 then I suggest that you get on the phone tomorrow morning before they list it back on the website...