Why become a member? ×

MarkBass very good indeed

henry norton

Been to the Bass Gallery today and tried a MarkBass for the first time (a Jeff Berlin combo). I'm very impressed and am now thinking about selling my 4x10 valve combo in order to acquire one of these. I particularly liked the mid scoop and the speaker simulator - for the most part I left the eq flat. I'm not sure about a combo version but I definitely like the amp.

I haven't been this impressed in a long while.

Edited by henry norton

That's been my impression too. I've genuinely never been more impressed with an amp than with Markbass. So much so that I have two Markbass heads and want for nothing else. Somehow my 500 watt Markbass heads are FAR louder and clearer than my 600 watt Acoustic Image Focus 2 head and my Euphonic Audio iAmp 800.

Starter for ten is the LMIII.

That's the bomb right there.

If you want a quicker punchier feel and have the bucks go for an uber ickle F500 (especially brilliant into a Berg ae410 by all accounts).

If you want more tone shaping then go for an sa450 (I like!)

If you need more grunt then and SD800 (massively wide sound with buckets of headroom)

If you want tubes then try those options, but bear in mind outside of the classic 300 you are paying a lot for a very clean tube pre, rather tha something that will break up.

Personally I see no real reason in the tube 800 or LMIII tube. YMMV....

I've wanted a Markbass since the first time I tried one which was ages ago when they first came out! Problem is when money's tight you have to shift you existing rig in order to pay for one! I will get one though eventually, I just can't seem to find anything I don't like about them. I was even more impressed when I borrowed a CMD 121P to do a gig. I just couldn't believe that something that small was producing that much sound! They would definitely get my recommendation for any working bass player. I know of a bass player who works like Tombboy and gets the train to gigs. He just has his bass over his shoulder, a bag of music books and stands etc in one hand and a Markbass combo in the other and he's set for pretty much any gig!

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='637664' date='Oct 27 2009, 10:12 AM']Me too :)[/quote]

i have just got a markbass 2x10 cab and a travelor 1x15- not had chance to try out yet due to the neighbours but looking forward to trying them out. Not sure if one cab will be enough for a small gig. Only trouble is that they are different dimensions so dont really sit well together- dont know weatherbeen better off going for two of the same? got a ebs td650 to power them but half tempted to try a markbass just for the small factor and portability

[quote name='henry norton' post='637177' date='Oct 26 2009, 06:47 PM']Been to the Bass Gallery today and tried a MarkBass for the first time (a Jeff Berlin combo). I'm very impressed and am now thinking about selling my 4x10 valve combo in order to acquire one of these. I particularly liked the mid scoop and the speaker simulator - for the most part I left the eq flat. I'm not sure about a combo version but I definitely like the amp.

I haven't been this impressed in a long while.[/quote]
The amps are very nice and do agree with the quotes givin,just bought a 1x12 mb combo,sounds great till you get to about half volume and then the speaker starts to 'fart' on the lows and thats on a four string,theres no substitute for surface area,so you would need an extension cab unless your playin small rooms or with a quite band,anything above that a combo doesnt cut it for me,but I have a 4x10,2x10 and 1x15 to use as an extension so I have got something to compare with.

[quote name='mikhay77' post='638641' date='Oct 27 2009, 11:39 PM']The amps are very nice and do agree with the quotes givin,just bought a 1x12 mb combo,sounds great till you get to about half volume and then the speaker starts to 'fart' on the lows and thats on a four string,theres no substitute for surface area,so you would need an extension cab unless your playin small rooms or with a quite band,anything above that a combo doesnt cut it for me,but I have a 4x10,2x10 and 1x15 to use as an extension so I have got something to compare with.[/quote]

well i am lucky in having a good bass- does make such a difference- can make the best out of a poor amp- especially with the range of sounds i have with the gb. Think my best bet is to take a mixture of gear to rehearsals- still thinking maybe should of gone for two cabs the same size- shame the travellor cabs are different

[quote name='Musicman20' post='637364' date='Oct 26 2009, 10:17 PM']Whats your budget?[/quote]
My budget is somewhat dependent on whether I sell my Marshall (and how much I get for it), but I probably wouldn't go much above 500 for a head or maybe 800 for a combo, something like that. I guess now the LM3 is out there are a few more LM2's on the used market?

Good number of replies BTW, maybe the forum name should be changed to 'the MarkBass Appreciation Society'

I too have the 2x10 combo & love it for the amount of sound & portability it provides.
I've never had the chance to turn it up as far as 1/2 way.
10 o'clock on gain & vol is usually the max I get to!
Would like a 1x15 or a 4x10 mb to pop under it tho.

[quote name='wayneyboy' post='638538' date='Oct 27 2009, 09:54 PM']i have just got a markbass 2x10 cab and a travelor 1x15- not had chance to try out yet due to the neighbours but looking forward to trying them out. Not sure if one cab will be enough for a small gig.[/quote]

Either one of those cabs would be loud enough for small pub gigs. I've owned them both but eventually I bought a second 2 x 10 and used them as a stack, both cabs on their sides. Powered by a LMII.

Great sound and very loud as a pair.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

I have an SA450 and love it, great tone, and the most amazing sounding solid state amp I have ever used in my life. Having tried most of the MarkBass options, its by far the best IMO and I would choose it over its more expensive alternatives as well.

Cab wise I have a Markbass 6 x 10 (106HF), which sounds absolutely stunningly crystal clear and the SA450 drives it beautifully. Its stunningly loud, the amp volume rarely gets over 25% even in a loud band situation. The cab is costly however, and slightly large for my needs, so am interested in looking at the smaller cab options out there, maybe a 4 x 10 or a 2 x 10 and a 1 x 15. Id take the 106HF over any 8 x 10 alternatives on the market though, for the fact its about half the weight of them alone!

[quote name='Mr.T' post='638813' date='Oct 28 2009, 09:41 AM']Used LM2s seem to be changing hands for around £400.
I would think they are a fairly safe bet, as I haven't heard of many failures considering how many of us are using them.[/quote]

My first use of my LMII head had it burning hot, fan did'nt work

I called the shop, who at first appeared not to believe me, so I even doubted myself

To be fair to them, when I pushed the issue they had a replacement waiting behind the counter when I arrived, straight swap for new one

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='642491' date='Nov 1 2009, 01:37 PM']Agreed... For that kind of money you really can't go wrong. I saw an SA450 go for £370 last month on eBay... I almost bought it as a spare! If you have the money, now is the time to buy![/quote]

i have just got a travellor 1x15- tried it with my ebs td650- awesome! didnt think it would be enough on its own but certainly was- got a new 2x10 to go with it but think may get another 1x15 so will sit on top nicely for bigger gigs- must say very impressed!