Why become a member? ×

What 410????

doctorbass

To go with an SWR Grand Prix pre, QSC 1450 power amp? I use a P Bass and Im thinking about an Aguilar GS410 or MarkBass STD 104HF.

I like a nice clean, deep thump to my tone - no slap or pop. I know which is heaviest, but tone is the consideration here!

Any comments welcome...

Edited by doctorbass

For deep thump i'd go with the aguilar

Im not too clued up here, so if i have things completly the wrong way round or something feel free to correct me someone! but i believe the Aguilar naturally lacks low end, But to my ears at volume the low mids MORE than cover that audible region and you get more punch and less mud.

And when i heard someone playing a P through one, phwoar.

I've experience of both MB and Aguilar (although only the MB was in 4x10 format). If you want clarity in your sound then I'd go Aguilar all the way. I bought the MB (104 traveller) on the basis that loads of people were saying it was a clean & 'hear-how-your-bass-really-sounds' sound, but for me, it was probably the worst cab I've ever owned. It lacked definition and clarity bigtime. The Aguilar (GS112) OTOH is a different bag altogether. Sure it's a bit mid-shy, but it's better in every other respect. My drummer, the first night I took the Aguilar to the practice after selling the MB said "blimey, that's better. I can actually hear you now!"

It's personal preference and I really think you're better off not buying without trying (although, let's face it, we all do at some point and probably will again!).

• 3 weeks later...

For a really deep thump, go for eden's D210xst instead of a 410.
if you're dead set on a 410, then I auditioned the markbass against EBS and chose EBS. better response, power handling weight etc (and it just sounded better to my ears.)