Why become a member? ×

flatwound strings

dub

I'm thinking a botu taking the plunge and putting some flats on my Jazz.

Would you recommend La Bellas or the TI Jazzs. Since these two seem to be the most popular.

For the record the band I play in is british rock n roll (Beatles, The Who, The Clash, The Jam) that sort of stuff but it's all original material, and my bass lines have abit more of a reggae/ska feel to them rather than the usual root note thumping.

[quote name='WonderHorse' post='639881' date='Oct 29 2009, 11:28 AM']I'm thinking a botu taking the plunge and putting some flats on my Jazz.

Would you recommend La Bellas or the TI Jazzs. Since these two seem to be the most popular.

For the record the band I play in is british rock n roll (Beatles, The Who, The Clash, The Jam) that sort of stuff but it's all original material, and my bass lines have abit more of a reggae/ska feel to them rather than the usual root note thumping.[/quote]
You may need to try them both to see what you like better, although I'd say either would work. I much prefer the TIs which are nickel and looser tension wise. The La Bellas are steel (I think) and much tenser. It's a while since I played any La Bellas but IIRC the TI's have a more middy sound. You might also want to consider Pyramid Golds.

No doubt a second opinion will be along soon.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='639900' date='Oct 29 2009, 11:42 AM']You may need to try them both to see what you like better, although I'd say either would work. I much prefer the TIs which are nickel and looser tension wise. The La Bellas are steel (I think) and much tenser. It's a while since I played any La Bellas but IIRC the TI's have a more middy sound. You might also want to consider Pyramid Golds.

No doubt a second opinion will be along soon.[/quote]

Yeah if they weren't so expensive I'd by a set of each but unfortunately I'm not flushed with cash.

From what I've seen on Youtube the La Bellas sound better to me

Is TI Tomastik?

Edited by WonderHorse

I had a Squier Bronco delivered yesterday and having spent a few minutes setting it up, decided to put and old set of TI flats on it to see what difference they'd make - now it's got a cracking bass tone (with the tone knob wound off a bit) and should make for a useful addition.

Having said that, I've got an East P Bass preamp somewhere that I bought for another project . . . :)

IMO, the key to flats is...

a ) Tempting though it is, take no notice of how they sound in the house. They're going to sound dead compared to the other bass with rounds on it - all the fun happens at the gig!

b ) At the gig, roll the horns off on your cabs, and crank the treble on your amp. Flats and horns are uneasy bedfellows.

Again, IMO...

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='640989' date='Oct 30 2009, 12:21 PM']b ) At the gig, roll the horns off on your caps, and crank the treble on your amp. Flats and horns are uneasy bedfellow.[/quote]

Interesting. I'm going to try this tonight and tomorrow and see how it goes. I'll get a recording of one versus the other if it's possible to leave my H4 unattended.

[quote name='Sean' post='641004' date='Oct 30 2009, 12:33 PM']Interesting. I'm going to try this tonight and tomorrow and see how it goes. I'll get a recording of one versus the other if it's possible to leave my H4 unattended.[/quote]

I'll look forward to that.

I'm amazed you even understood what I wrote, given the amount of spelling mistakes I managed to make...!

I've just changed a couple of basses over to flats. Put some TI flats on my Fender Jaguar and it sounds beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Like a different instrument, almost.

Put some Rotosound Tru Bass black nylon flats on a Franken p bass and it sounded nice and warm but not really what I wanted - I lost all the attack of the p bass, it seemed, plus a good deal of the sustain. Plus, until I got used to the feel, it did seem a bit like I'd strung it with earthworms.

I've just this morning taken posession of Lateralus462's Squier VMJ fretless. Plugged it in with the fitted steel flats and it sounded great. After lunch I changed them for the Tru Bass flats I had on franken p and WOW!!

I'll say that again.

WOW!!

It talks, sings and makes all the noises I ever hoped a fretless would make. I just need to learn how control the beast now.

Plus the flats that were on the fretless are now on the franken p and it sounds back how it should.

Happy chap here!!

[quote name='Paul S' post='641981' date='Oct 31 2009, 04:24 PM']I've just changed a couple of basses over to flats. Put some TI flats on my Fender Jaguar and it sounds beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Like a different instrument, almost.

Put some Rotosound Tru Bass black nylon flats on a Franken p bass and it sounded nice and warm but not really what I wanted - I lost all the attack of the p bass, it seemed, plus a good deal of the sustain. Plus, until I got used to the feel, it did seem a bit like I'd strung it with earthworms.

I've just this morning taken posession of Lateralus462's Squier VMJ fretless. Plugged it in with the fitted steel flats and it sounded great. After lunch I changed them for the Tru Bass flats I had on franken p and WOW!!

I'll say that again.

WOW!!

It talks, sings and makes all the noises I ever hoped a fretless would make. I just need to learn how control the beast now.

Plus the flats that were on the fretless are now on the franken p and it sounds back how it should.

Happy chap here!![/quote]

The Trubass strings are awesome, very warm and thumpy sounding

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='639900' date='Oct 29 2009, 11:42 AM']You may need to try them both to see what you like better, although I'd say either would work. I much prefer the TIs which are nickel and looser tension wise. The La Bellas are steel (I think) and much tenser. It's a while since I played any La Bellas but IIRC the TI's have a more middy sound. You might also want to consider Pyramid Golds.[/quote]
Can anyone compare Pyramid Golds and Labellas for me ?

Andy

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='648728' date='Nov 8 2009, 01:03 PM']Can anyone compare Pyramid Golds and Labellas for me ?

Andy[/quote]
It's a long time since I used La Bellas - I've been stuck on TIs and Chromes for a while although I did try some Lakland Joe Osborn Flats which are actually GHS Precision Flats. I guess that the Lakland/GHS which are steel and higher tension are more like the La Bellas and I'm not keen on the high tension or the feel or bite of steel; nonetheless they did have a nice thump to them.

But I did just put some Pyramid Gold Flats on my Lakland Decade - more tension than the TIs and so feel a bit meatier but still with the softer feel of nickel rather than steel. I've not gigged them yet only played at home but tone wise think McCartney. I played some McCartney lines and I've never sounded so much like him - tone wise that is, not the quality of the playing. Hard to describe but a sort of melodic blooming airiness - whatever that is, I may be talking rubbish.

I would say though that despite having the advantage (for me) of being nickel the Pyramids are somewhere between the TIs and the La Bellas (based on distant experience of La Bellas and recent of the Lakland/GHS steels).

I hope that's of some use, but you know you'll only know by trying them. :)

EDIT: And I like the purple silks on the Pyramids.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='651512' date='Nov 11 2009, 12:29 PM']Anyone tried flats on a 5 string Precision??

Whats the B like?

:)[/quote]

Chris - my P5 came strung with TI flats (which I love) and I foolishly sold 'em thinking that the sound wouldn't be right for my new band. Big mistake. I'm now saving up for another set £48 last time I looked).

The low B was much tighter / useable with the TIs than with the roundwounds I've tried since.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='652301' date='Nov 12 2009, 09:19 AM']Chris - my P5 came strung with TI flats (which I love) and I foolishly sold 'em thinking that the sound wouldn't be right for my new band. Big mistake. I'm now saving up for another set £48 last time I looked).

The low B was much tighter / useable with the TIs than with the roundwounds I've tried since.[/quote]

Cool :)

I have some Sadowksy Flats to try

i'll let you know how i get on

:rolleyes:

Well I'll be damned.

Ive just forked out for some Rotosound 77s for my Jazz bass. Never even tried flatwounds before, except on my upright . WHERE THE HELL HAVE I BEEN?? The sound Ive been aiming for all these years just fell into my hands.

Roundwounds in the bin.

Im still in shock!!!!!!

I've got Labella 760FXs on my Jazz and Epiphone Jack Casady and love the sound of them.

D'addario Chromes on my OLP Musicman are altogether smoother.

I really like the sound of TI Jazz Flats but I don't like the feel of them - their tension is so low they seem to roll out from under your fingers.

I just put some 1954 pattern Labella 760Ms on my Yamaha BB300. They sound incredible - deep and big and grunty. Completely different to the lighter gauge Labellas
It is like playing hawsers - very thick, very high tension. I had to give the truss rod a quarter turn to straighten the neck when I put them on.
There are anecdotal reports of them wrecking the necks of modern basses.

[quote name='Smash' post='660155' date='Nov 20 2009, 02:04 PM']Hmm this has got me thinking, does anyone here use Flatwounds on a Status graphite neck? if so does it take away the clankiness that the roundwounds bring? or would halfwounds be better to give a little bit more clarity?[/quote]
Tried both Labella's (DTF) and Status halfrounds on my Eclipse Ltd (fretted), was never happy with either. Flats didn't seem right, and as far as I remember they didn't tame the clankiness. OTOH my S-1 fretless came with status halfrounds that I liked so much they stayed on for years ... only recently swapped them out for rounds, which I also like.

I think you have to experiment for yourself.

Andy