Why become a member? ×

How close does is a Sandberg PM to emulating a P & a MM?

Delberthot

I've just finished playing tonight and something that I have been toying with for some time might be the best way forward for me.

I've been playing for the past couple of months with my 80s E Series Fender MIJ Precision

and have just received this as a trade for my gold Warmoth

I absolutely love the tone of the bridge pickup on the G&L and the Fender P bass sound.

I've searched here and can't find the answer so - will a Sandberg California PM give me an authentic P bass tone and a G&L / MM humbucker tone?

I've also looked into the Fender P bass delixe but the concensus seems to be that the Sandberg is a better bass

I've a PM 5. The P bass sound is quite close - maybe a bit tighter but not quite as fat. MM sound slightly less so - its less agressive and more burpy for figerstyle - but hints at a MM tone. Proably a combination of the bridge pup being being further back than on a MM and the Glock pre amp instead of the MM one. Nonetheless good sounds and versatile.

Should have added there's some live sound clips at dwband.co.uk. Mind you its DI'd off the desk and I've more top and mid boosted than I'd normally like - to try and cut through all the the keys, brass and guitar. Nonetheless might give you an idea. Most is fingerstyle favouring the bridge pup. Slap is 50/50 and the couple where I'm using a pick (Malice and Riot) are 2/3 neck pup.

[quote name='JD1' post='629251' date='Oct 18 2009, 08:49 AM']I've a PM 5. The P bass sound is quite close - maybe a bit tighter but not quite as fat. MM sound slightly less so - its less agressive and more burpy for figerstyle - but hints at a MM tone. Proably a combination of the bridge pup being being further back than on a MM and the Glock pre amp instead of the MM one. Nonetheless good sounds and versatile.[/quote]

I think it might be the burpy sound I'm after come to think of it. I had a Corvette 5 string $$ and like the sound of that bridge pickup as well.

Is there a bass with a stacked J pickup that would give me the same effect?

I'm kind of contemplating getting myself a Wamoth body made and get myself a MIJ/CIJ/MIa Fender neck to go with it- - that way i can specify it exactly how I want. If I don;t like it I can always sell the parts off

Maybe try out a Fender MIA Precision Deluxe? Last one I played was really good, naff Fender EQ notwithstanding.

True, it doesn't capture the MM aspect, but nor does the P/MM Sandberg really.
The last Sandberg P/MM I played I expected the world of, and it really didn't deliver. It was really cold, though, and I don't think many instruments had a fair crack of the whip that day...

I tried my JM4 against my Stingray when I first picked it up. It does a pretty reasonable approximation of an MM humbucker sound, but lacked a little 'something' that my Stingray had - although that may be down to my bad habit of 'everything on eleven' with the 3EQ on the 'ray.

What I can vouch for is the build quality and the playablility of the Sandberg, it's absolutely flawless, beautiful to look at, and screams at me to play it constantly.