Why become a member? ×

'60s/'70s Kustom Charger - replacing the 15

paul, the

Hello all,

This is my Kustom Charger. The Kustom Charger was made from 1968 through 1971. It was 130 watts RMS and sold for $495. It was available with two different 15" speakers; a CTS brand or an Altec upgrade. Less than 500 were produced. Medium level collector value.

The tuck 'n' roll is made of Naugahyde and has metal flake within, making it glitter like it does.

It weighs 7 stone - 45kg. Only two and a half less than me :)

I have been playing it through my Peavey 18" recently as I prefer the tone but I'm hoping to change the speaker in the combo so I thought I'd ask for recommendations.

The amp has a warm, sweet, vintage tone and to be honest, makes my Trace combo sound like bollocks in comparison. It has a sweet midrange funky tone on the jazz bridge pup but quite hollow through the P pup. The stock speaker remedies this to some extent though.

I really don't know about SPL and recommended wattages and the like. I was thinking of going neodymium to save on weight(?) I do know that the stock speaker used to distort at high volume whereas the 4 ohm Peavey cab hasn't at all. I did play the stock full volume today, though, and it was fine.

Thanks guys and girls, piccys below.

paul.

[quote name='paul, the' post='67776' date='Sep 30 2007, 05:50 PM']Hello all,

This is my Kustom Charger. The Kustom Charger was made from 1968 through 1971. It was 130 watts RMS and sold for $495. It was available with two different 15" speakers; a CTS brand or an Altec upgrade. Less than 500 were produced. Medium level collector value.

The tuck 'n' roll is made of Naugahyde and has metal flake within, making it glitter like it does.

It weighs 7 stone - 45kg. Only two and a half less than me :huh:
I have been playing it through my Peavey 18" recently as I prefer the tone but I'm hoping to change the speaker in the combo so I thought I'd ask for recommendations.

The amp has a warm, sweet, vintage tone and to be honest, makes my Trace combo sound like bollocks in comparison. It has a sweet midrange funky tone on the jazz bridge pup but quite hollow through the P pup. The stock speaker remedies this to some extent though.

I really don't know about SPL and recommended wattages and the like. I was thinking of going neodymium to save on weight(?) I do know that the stock speaker used to distort at high volume whereas the 4 ohm Peavey cab hasn't at all. I did play the stock full volume today, though, and it was fine.

Thanks guys and girls, piccys below.
paul.[/quote]

That's GORGEOUS & Funktastic!
:)

Cheers guys. Despite my high fibre diet, I've yet to have any 18" speaker induced spontaneous bowel movements. There's still time.

Any more input? Speaker/wattage recommendations?

[quote name='Buzz' post='67938' date='Sep 30 2007, 11:51 PM']You know, as it's a collectible and vintage, changing from the stock speaker will disrupt the value if you ever intend to sell it on (in say 20 years) yes?

Just thought I'd mention it.

Looks LOVELY by the way.[/quote]

Thanks for the input Buzz. Tone comes first for me, well second after sparkly blue tuck 'n' roll - and the stock just doesn't quite cut it for me. I can always keep it anyway. I'd rather have a spare 15 in a box then have the combo [i]and[/i] a monster of an 18 cab.

the eminence deltalite II (300 watt) is more mid focused than the kappa pro 15 (500watt); some might say a mid focus give you a sweeter sound. eminence told me the delta pro 15 is a little more vintage sounding than the kappa.
I prefer the over the neo, but I use them for everything from 5 string to guitar, so the overall range is important to me. weight issues considered, you would likely be quite pleased with the deltalite.

do you have the Altec or the CTS? if you want it to sound like the CTS you could likely go for a stamped frame beta or something, which are less expensive.

[quote name='gypsymoth' post='68679' date='Oct 2 2007, 03:01 PM']the eminence deltalite II (300 watt) is more mid focused than the kappa pro 15 (500watt); some might say a mid focus give you a sweeter sound. eminence told me the delta pro 15 is a little more vintage sounding than the kappa.
I prefer the over the neo, but I use them for everything from 5 string to guitar, so the overall range is important to me. weight issues considered, you would likely be quite pleased with the deltalite.

do you have the Altec or the CTS? if you want it to sound like the CTS you could likely go for a stamped frame beta or something, which are less expensive.[/quote]

That's brilliant gypsymoth, thank you for the advise. Is 300 watts not a too high capability? Or do I not have much of a choice with a 15?

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='68694' date='Oct 2 2007, 03:38 PM']and don't forget, changing from the stock speaker may void your lifetime guarantee!!!

That's bloody lovely that[/quote]

I wonder if they'd pay delivery to Kansas. :)

Edited by paul, the

[quote name='paul, the' post='68417' date='Oct 1 2007, 10:33 PM']Any more input? Speaker/wattage recommendations?... ... Tone comes first for me, well second after sparkly blue tuck 'n' roll - and the stock just doesn't quite cut it for me...[/quote]

What about the tone of the current speaker doesn't cut it for you? Not questioning your opinion, there's just ton of 15" speakers to choose from and it would be nice to have an idea where to start! What are the internal dimensions of the enclosure? What are the port lengths and diameters (so we can calculate tuning frequency)?

Alex

what will likely matter to you is the ohms rating of the original speaker - I really doubt the amp is adjustable for load, and is likely solid state, most all Kustoms were.
so if that is a 4 ohm speaker and you replace it with an 8 ohm speaker, you will basically cut your power output in half.

yea, the power rating won't matter as long as you don't go for a lesser speaker - but if you are after vintage break up, a much cheaper alpha or beta would likely do the trick.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='68736' date='Oct 2 2007, 05:25 PM']What about the tone of the current speaker doesn't cut it for you? Not questioning your opinion, there's just ton of 15" speakers to choose from and it would be nice to have an idea where to start! What are the internal dimensions of the enclosure? What are the port lengths and diameters (so we can calculate tuning frequency)?

Alex[/quote]

Hello again Alex,

sorry to be obscure but I'm not as good at describing tone as some of you guys. I'm always learning though.
I think I may try and record and upload a (crude) recording of the two speakers. Can anyone recommend a site for uploading audio tracks? - MP3 I think.

In the meantime, here are the approximate dimensions:

(cab, in cm)
W = 66
H = 46.5
D = 33

(Ports, in cm)
L = 8
D= 6

[quote name='gypsymoth' post='68780' date='Oct 2 2007, 07:23 PM']what will likely matter to you is the ohms rating of the original speaker - I really doubt the amp is adjustable for load, and is likely solid state, most all Kustoms were.
so if that is a 4 ohm speaker and you replace it with an 8 ohm speaker, you will basically cut your power output in half.

yea, the power rating won't matter as long as you don't go for a lesser speaker - but if you are after vintage break up, a much cheaper alpha or beta would likely do the trick.[/quote]

I have emailed Kustom about this but haven't gotten a response. The amp has an output on the back which I've used for an external cab before so I would assume it has an 8 ohm internal. However, it doesn't sound noticeably quieter compared to the 4 ohm Peavey. This is a poor comparison though, obviously.

Edited by paul, the

[quote name='paul, the' post='69292' date='Oct 3 2007, 11:07 PM']I have emailed Kustom about this but haven't gotten a response....[/quote]

Paul - have you tried posting on the forum at [url="http://www.vintagekustom.com/"]http://www.vintagekustom.com/[/url] ???

All the best

Jim

[quote name='paul, the' post='69292' date='Oct 3 2007, 11:07 PM'](cab, in cm)
W = 66
H = 46.5
D = 33[/quote]

If that's the internal dimensions of the cab itself then that bodes very well - about 100 litres volume which is enough for decent response from many fifteens.

[quote name='paul, the' post='69292' date='Oct 3 2007, 11:07 PM'](Ports, in cm)
L = 8
D= 6[/quote]

If that's accurate (and the volume is accurate too) then the enclosure is tuned to 37Hz. With most speakers you'll get better output from a higher tuning, somewhere around 50Hz, to help out with the lows where they're really needed. You could trim down the tubes to get a higher tuning. If the enclosure's internal volume is smaller than your estimate then the ru

I'm just kicking some different Eminence models around in WinISD Pro. I wouldn't set your heart on a neo speaker - the difference in the weight of a speaker isn't very much compared to a heavy combo - and they still cost more than most ceramic magnet speakers.

What bass do you play? Whose tone do you like? Need some hints, you don't need to tell me what frequencies excite you :) just some vague adjectives or names or styles that are your bag.

Alex

Right, I've recorded some tracks. I'll spend the next however long it takes to get these hosted and linked.

Tone?

= Vintage funk, Jamerson, GPjr, early Bootsy.

I play a vintage loaded Precision Special. (p/j)

I've been enjoying [url="http://ftpcryo.free.fr/carloz/Funky%20Soul%20&%20Rare%20Grooves/2-21%20Engine%20Number%209.mp3"]this[/url] recently. Undefined and woofy.

Done :) - Right, this is done as cheaply as possible, but I'm pleased with the results. It may distort at higher volumes.

All files were recorded with my passive Precision Special strung with (roundwound) DR Lo-Riders. The Motown with foam by the bridge. No effects were used, I've just mic'd up the relevant speaker with the EQ on full bass, full middle, half treble.

Here we go:

These are recorded with foam by the bridge, Precision pup at 100% and Jazz bridge pup at %80

[url="http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=801357416.wav"]Kustom Stock - Motown[/url]

[url="http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=60142820.wav"]Peavey 18 - Motown[/url]

I prefer the stock speaker for a Jamerson-esque tone. It's warm, soft tone complements the style. Whereas, the Peavey 18 is too punchy and growly.

----

These are a couple of tracks with me just noodling around Dmix' - Precision pup at %80 and the jazz bridge pup at %100:

[url="http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=963678921.wav"]15[/url]

[url="http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=166583922.wav"]18[/url]

- Of these two tracks I prefer the tone of the 18. It's mid-range punch and growl complement the jazz bridge pup.

Edited by paul, the

Oh and apologies for my playing, complete lack of rhythm and my foot tapping in the second last track.

[quote name='99ster' post='69614' date='Oct 4 2007, 06:13 PM']Paul - have you tried posting on the forum at [url="http://www.vintagekustom.com/"]http://www.vintagekustom.com/[/url] ???

All the best

Jim[/quote]

I had completely forgotten about the forum on there, thanks Jim!

The speaker doesn't have an aluminum dust cap so I don't think it's stock. As I presume the CTS and Altec both had the alu' cap - but I could be wrong.

The amp was designed to take an 8 ohm driver.

Edited by paul, the

[quote name='paul, the' post='70437' date='Oct 6 2007, 09:04 PM'][/quote]

As soon as I saw this photo I thought I could here my mother screaming, "Tidy your room now or your not going out tomorrow night!" :) :huh:

Nice vintagey sounds and very JJ feel to those lines - I reckon you could put a concept band together around that amp alone, as well as being the funkiest combos I've ever seen all that padding make it very health and safety pleasing. I have had no problem if my headstock had landed on top of that! :huh:

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Sean' post='71031' date='Oct 8 2007, 01:26 PM']As soon as I saw this photo I thought I could here my mother screaming, "Tidy your room now or your not going out tomorrow night!" :) :huh:

Nice vintagey sounds and very JJ feel to those lines - I reckon you could put a concept band together around that amp alone, as well as being the funkiest combos I've ever seen all that padding make it very health and safety pleasing. I have had no problem if my headstock had landed on top of that! :huh:[/quote]

regardless off your mum prohibiting you from the hoose
it sound fat through my monitors then
and it looks real good too paul mate

love the bowling pins man

Edited by grosa

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old topic but I collect Tuck n' Roll Kustom's... My 1st was a Black Charger I got in 1975 upgraded with an EV SRO 15" driver. The Charger is a 75 watt RMS amp @ an 8 ohm load. I woul;d not try a 4 ohm driver as it could possibly cause the driver/ output transistors to fail because of the increased current draw. These amps were made from 1971 to late 1973 as part of the Kustom SuperSound series of combo amps. I have owned 3 of them. My current Charger which I use on smaller gigs has been upgraded to an ALTEC 421A-8H speaker and is the bess bass driver I've ever heard... I thought the non-stock Eminence (Crate 15" PA replacement driver) sounded ok and better than a JBL D140F which sounded dull to my ears. The Charger also uses an IC preamp that hasn't been made since 1975 and finding them is near impossible though I have heard of some owners that had the IC circuit reverse engineered and placed in a socket where the old IC once resided on the preamp board. They are that rare and robbing another Kustom Metalface preamp board has been the usual solution for that rare chip!!!

I use a Fender P-Lyte Deluxe(active) for most gigs though I first used a Gibson SB350 Short Scale SG style bass with my original Charger...I have about 15 Kustoms and still want a Gold and Silver(white) example to show all the gloriuos colors they came in... The Charger also makes a great seat to set on while at practice!!! :)

Craig Marshall
The "Kustomoholic"

• 8 years later...

I just picked up one of these Chargers, just need to clean it up and fix the vinyl on the bottom of the amp where it rolls off the bottom front to the underneath. It sounds awesome and loud. The speaker was replaced when the original went bad. It has a Carvin Bass Loudspeaker 8 ohm @ 200 watts. Thinking about looking for the Altec 421A-8H bass speaker when one shows itself . Had a K250-2 w/a 2-15 Kustom Cab. It was ok. Like this better. Got it for $275. The power light isn't there, maybe it got pushed inside at some point. Gonna open it and look for it, hopefully it's there...well, it was removed or put in another amp...anyone know where I can find this Licon Switch w/harness...thx

Edited by Edward Fortin
addition