Why become a member? ×

Fender Jag v Ernie Ball Stingray

Jigster

Having got some intresting feedback on the Anniversary/Ric thread, thgt I'd post this also...

Such a pleasure to be part of a sensible NICE forum where info is readily available from first hand experience - the joys of the t'internet.

Owning two or three passives, I think I'm heading down the active route for the first time, these two models take my fancy so far, any opinions gratefully recieved.

[quote name='urban Bassman' post='626278' date='Oct 14 2009, 06:46 PM']+1 from me on the Stingrays, like them so much I got two![/quote]

+1

Same here....

Classic tone. The neck is very comfortable, and ive not got large hands.

The best things about the 'Ray are: The style, the brilliant position for resting your thumb on the pickup, and the awesome powerful cutting tone.

The Jaguar is supposed to be excellent but the active circuitry is it's weakness. I spent some time yesterday searching old threads on the Jaguar. I do like the look of them and from what I've heard they sound excellent too - however if it's an active bass you are looking for it would seem this is unlikely to be first choice.

Watched magazine on later last night, barry adamson plays a jag. Great sound, but doesnt sound overly active.
[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ndql3/Later_Live..._with_Jools_Holland_Series_35_Episode_5/"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00nd...s_35_Episode_5/[/url] Watch from 5 minutes in.

If you are intending to slap....dont go for the HH....you have to adjust your technique as you have a lot less room.

I tested the new HH's and they have a lot of tonal options, but for me the classic H is just exactly what Im looking for. I couldnt get the exact Stingray tone from a HH, but that could have been a number of things causing that.

I'd like a Sterling with H + S though!

[quote name='martthebass' post='626313' date='Oct 14 2009, 07:41 PM']Another +1 for Stingrays. For me it balances better than the Jag and has a more convincing 'active' sound. If you need more sound versatility try and snag an HS or HH Ray but they are fewer in number 2nd hand and more £.[/quote]

Quite true on all counts, Mart. And as for the HS/HH models, more £ definitely equals more sounds! :)

Had a Jag, the active circut ain`t very good. The bass control was either on or off. and why have a switches that can turn both pickups off? Done that accidently at a gig!

The Stingray is a much better bet, the 3 band eq really cuts through the mix. Looks damm cool as well. You should be able to get a secondhand Ray for the price of a new Jag. I have nothing against Fenders but the Stingray just seems like a better bass all round.

The only gripe I have is as I have been playing fingerstyle on Fenders for a while, I couldn`t get used to resting my thumb on the pickup when it is mounted so close to the bridge, so, I got a Ebony thumbrest and stuck it on nearer the neck and that solved the problem.

G&L`s are great basses as well and the one for sale on here, blue in colour, is a cracker.

Jez

G.A.K does these [url="http://www.staggmusic.com/products/products_detail.php?langue=uk&oneid=538"]http://www.staggmusic.com/products/product...k&oneid=538[/url] for £139, if the standard jag electrics are'nt great one of these would be great to rip apart and put some good electrics in.

I had a Jaguar (White and tortie) it was beautiful, great neck, very versatile. Then my stingray came back from a repair job....

The ray just blows it right out of the water for sound/tone IMHO.

Jaguars are also not brilliantly balanced either, they do have a mild case of neck dive.

In summary, I now own 2 stingrays and 0 Jaguars. Hope this helps.