Why become a member? ×

Looking for a new 4x10

turtlemoon

Hi All.
I currently own a hartke 4x10tp and a 1x15tp powered by a hartke 3500 head
Have had this set up for a while and Iam thinking of upgrading , will probably keep the head but cab wise I would like something with a bit more bottom end.
Been looking at the EBS 410 Proline Bass Cabinet , but its really difficult to decide as there is no dealer near me where I can check out some cabs.
Any advise would be most welcome.

EBS are great cabs and after owning a few different types of them I settled for the two Pro Line 4x10s. For cabs with lots of bottom I'd try Markbass cabs (from experience) as they seem pretty big on the bass thing!

Edited by bigthumb

You live in Huddersfield... you have one of the greatest bass cab manufacturers on your doorstep LOL

Nip to Matamp in Meltham and try one of their 4x10s or the new 2x12 I promise they will blow you away... they did me, actually I'm off to pick up my new 2x12 today :)

If you mention basschat you also get 10% off

[quote name='stevefletch59' post='625712' date='Oct 14 2009, 08:14 AM']I don't live too far from you (about 40mins) and I've got a Bergantino HS410 and an Ampeg SVT 410HLF (loads a bottom) you can come along and try if you like.

Steve[/quote]

Wentworth... I'm surprised we can't hear each other practice lol

I'm in Wombwell

[quote name='Monz' post='625734' date='Oct 14 2009, 09:03 AM']Wentworth... I'm surprised we can't hear each other practice lol

I'm in Wombwell[/quote]

It's a small world int it !

I wouldn't mind hearing that Matamp when you get it. I've also got a Barefaced Compact if you haven't heard those.

Sorry for the thread hi jack

Steve

If its really big bottom you want then I would have to suggest a Barefaced Vintage or BigOne.

The Berg ae410 is superb, but the HS410 has more low-mid bump, so that may suit you more. Either way Berg is about as good as it gets IMO (see sig), its just which Berg you need to choose.

If you have the readies for that kind of gear (Berg) and you want to hear a bunch of options get in contact with poptart (Mark) on here, and go and see him in his shop (www.bassdirect.co.uk). He will have just the thing I promise :), your wallet will not forgive you, but every time you hear your rig you wont care :rolleyes:

If you want to experience the Barefaced kit then check out the BigOne and Compact tours in the Barefaced forum, you can borrow one for a week and try it out on a gig, then pass it on. Couldnt be a better way to work out if its right for you or not...

Be aware that you currently get the 350W out of your Hartke because you use two cabs. If you went for a single 4 x 10, think about a 4 Ohm cab. The Transporter cabs aren't the deepest, so bass response can be a bit weedy.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be sorely tempted to go opt for one of the following solutions

1) Stick with Hartke. Get a pair of 2.5XLs or whatever they're called. The XL series 2 x 10. Much deeper and better ported than the TP series. 2 2 x 10s are easier to lug about, yout get the 4Ohm benefits and you can stack them end on end. Also, you can use a single 2 x 10 for small gigs and rehearsals.

2) Go for a lightweight 4 Ohm 4 x 10. Zoot, Gallien Krueger, SWR, whatever. The TP cabs are quite light so the switch to a chunky 4 x 10 will be quite a culture shock.

3) Have you thought about 12s. Can be a good compromise. a decent 2 x 12 will give a 4 x 10 a good run for it's money.

Many Thx for all your replies , I really appreciate your advise.
I think i will take up stevefletch59s offer of listening to the Bergantino HS410 first and see how it sounds.
And then possibly a trip to Matamp in Meltham and see what they have.
Not really bothered too much about cab weight.
I may have to consider getting a more powerful amp though If I was to go for the Bergantino HS410. I bought the Hartke 3500 head about 5 years ago and to be honest I have never had the chance to listen to anything else .It has been a good and reliable head.

Once again many thx to you all..

[quote name='turtlemoon' post='626343' date='Oct 14 2009, 08:10 PM']Many Thx for all your replies , I really appreciate your advise.
I think i will take up stevefletch59s offer of listening to the Bergantino HS410 first and see how it sounds.
I may have to consider getting a more powerful amp though If I was to go for the Bergantino HS410. I bought the Hartke 3500 head about 5 years ago and to be honest I have never had the chance to listen to anything else .It has been a good and reliable head.

Once again many thx to you all..[/quote]
The HS410 is incredible!

[quote name='51m0n' post='625745' date='Oct 14 2009, 10:39 AM']If its really big bottom you want then I would have to suggest a Barefaced Vintage or BigOne.

The Berg ae410 is superb, but the HS410 has more low-mid bump, so that may suit you more. Either way Berg is about as good as it gets IMO (see sig), its just which Berg you need to choose.

If you have the readies for that kind of gear (Berg) and you want to hear a bunch of options get in contact with poptart (Mark) on here, and go and see him in his shop (www.bassdirect.co.uk). He will have just the thing I promise :lol:, your wallet will not forgive you, but every time you hear your rig you wont care :lol:

If you want to experience the Barefaced kit then check out the BigOne and Compact tours in the Barefaced forum, you can borrow one for a week and try it out on a gig, then pass it on. Couldnt be a better way to work out if its right for you or not...[/quote]

:) I got a Sadowsky SA410 up for sale :rolleyes:
It is the original Bergantino HS410 design!

[quote name='turtlemoon' post='626343' date='Oct 14 2009, 08:10 PM']Many Thx for all your replies , I really appreciate your advise.

Once again many thx to you all..[/quote]

The Berg 410s are pretty darned efficient, and rated at 4Ohm so they will get everything your amp has to give.

On the other hand being a 410 they are possibly moving a bit less air than what you currently have.

You definitely need to try one!

[quote name='turtlemoon' post='624514' date='Oct 12 2009, 10:37 PM']Hi All.
I currently own a hartke 4x10tp and a 1x15tp powered by a hartke 3500 head
Have had this set up for a while and Iam thinking of upgrading , will probably keep the head but cab wise I would like something with a bit more bottom end.
Been looking at the EBS 410 Proline Bass Cabinet , but its really difficult to decide as there is no dealer near me where I can check out some cabs.
Any advise would be most welcome.[/quote]I've A 4Ohm Schroeder 410L you can try out (Bradford) pretty light @ 26kg

cheers

Simon

[quote name='51m0n' post='625745' date='Oct 14 2009, 09:39 AM']If its really big bottom you want then I would have to suggest a Barefaced Vintage or BigOne.

The Berg ae410 is superb, but the HS410 has more low-mid bump, so that may suit you more. Either way Berg is about as good as it gets IMO (see sig), its just which Berg you need to choose.[/quote]

I've got the same rig (Markbass SA450 and Berg AE410) and it's just the best sound I've yet had. Big, warm, clear bass.

By the way, for what it's worth, I did a comparison of my AE410 with Geoffbassist's HS410 a few months back to see if there would be any benefit in changing my setup... We both agreed in the end that it wasn't worth it. the AE410 seemed clearer and had a wider frequency response. The HS410 sounded smooth but to me not as big and warm as the AE cabinet. Depends what kind of thing you're after I suppose, but I was happy enough to keep my amazing cabinet.

Steve

Edited by funkmunky

[quote name='funkmunky' post='634150' date='Oct 23 2009, 08:50 AM']I've got the same rig (Markbass SA450 and Berg AE410) and it's just the best sound I've yet had. Big, warm, clear bass.

By the way, for what it's worth, I did a comparison of my AE410 with Geoffbassist's HS410 a few months back to see if there would be any benefit in changing my setup... We both agreed in the end that it wasn't worth it. the AE410 seemed clearer and had a wider frequency response. The HS410 sounded smooth but to me not as big and warm as the AE cabinet. Depends what kind of thing you're after I suppose, but I was happy enough to keep my amazing cabinet.

Steve[/quote]

Its just an awesome sound isnt it!

Honestly I went to the SE Bass Bash and listened to and tried a lot of nice kit at decent volumes, and every half hour or so I'd go and have a bash on mine and think, "yup, got the best one here" - I absolutely love it!

I use the same head as you.
I used tgo have two Hartke 210XLs (I used to have a MAzda MX-5 and that was the only solution!)
I've now replaced it with a Marshall MBC410 which is really robust, 37Kg, and sounds great. It's 600w too, so is nice to have that bit of leeway.
Happy cab hunting!

Just to say Iam now the proud owner of a bergantino HS410 which I bought from stevefletch59.
He let me audition the cab with my band and was very impressed , so thanks for that Steve.
So now I have the cab I just need a warm and fat amp to power it , any recomendations ? The hartke sounds ok but not really powerful enough.

Nice cab! As it's one of the HS (high sensitivity) designs it doesn't need much power to get loud, nor can it handle a lot of power without the THD (total harmonic distortion) going through the roof as the woofers over-excurse. So your Hartke should be plenty powerful enough - obviously if you want a tonal change then that's a different matter entirely. But I'd give it some time so you can get a feel for which direction a change should take you in.

Alex

[quote name='turtlemoon' post='639969' date='Oct 29 2009, 12:46 PM']Just to say Iam now the proud owner of a bergantino HS410 which I bought from stevefletch59.
He let me audition the cab with my band and was very impressed , so thanks for that Steve.
So now I have the cab I just need a warm and fat amp to power it , any recomendations ? The hartke sounds ok but not really powerful enough.[/quote]

Markbass LMII or III

LMII go for about £400 second hand. They are definitely warm sounding solid state amps, and weigh nothing to speak of!

The match up with the HS410 is superb too, it will definitely be loud enough for any no PA situation you find. My sa450 is essentially the same power section and into my ae410 it easily filled a 300+ venue without PA support. loud but not stupid volume, with plenty more left in reserve.

• 3 weeks later...