Why become a member? ×

Bruce Foxton - Even More Of A Genius Than I Thought

Bass_In_Yer_Face

I was obviously aware of The Jam's greatest hits but I've just got hold of 'Direction Reaction Creation' which is the box set of eveything they ever did and I am gobsmacked that pretty much everytrack has a killer bass line in it.

I was struggling for new stuff to learn...now I've got 117 tracks to wade through!

I knew he was a true bass hero, but even more now!

Edited by Bass_In_Yer_Face

[quote name='OldGit' post='624136' date='Oct 12 2009, 04:22 PM']Suggest a few of the more obscure gems?[/quote]

1. Girl On The Phone
2. Thick As Thieves
3. The Dreams Of Children
4. Monday
5. Man In The Cornershop

...the list just goes on and on.

I seriously think if you went through the whole of this box set and tried to learn all of Bruce's bass lines, you's be one hell of a player by the end of it.

Foxton's the reason I first played bass. I love his stuff - always lots going on, but most importantly, the bassline always fitted the song. Scrimped and saved when I was a kid to buy a jetglo Ric like the one he used on the Going Underground video. I can remember being horrified that I actually didn't sound exactly like him when I plugged it in, too :)

Having been a fan since I was a kid, I think I can play *most* of his basslines.

To add to the list of more obscure tracks with nice bass lines above: -

All Mod Cons
David Watts
Mr Clean
In the Crowd
Butterfly Collector
The Planner's Dream Goes Wrong

To be honest, it's hard to find a Jam album without a couple of corking bass lines on!

Mark.

[quote name='tredders' post='624235' date='Oct 12 2009, 06:32 PM']Foxton's the reason I first played bass. I love his stuff - always lots going on, but most importantly, the bassline always fitted the song. Scrimped and saved when I was a kid to buy a jetglo Ric like the one he used on the Going Underground video. I can remember being horrified that I actually didn't sound exactly like him when I plugged it in, too :)

Having been a fan since I was a kid, I think I can play *most* of his basslines.

To add to the list of more obscure tracks with nice bass lines above: -

All Mod Cons
David Watts
Mr Clean
In the Crowd
Butterfly Collector
The Planner's Dream Goes Wrong

To be honest, it's hard to find a Jam album without a couple of corking bass lines on!

Mark.[/quote]

Yep same here Bruce was my original personal development

The Bass lines on such as:
All Mod Cons
Fly
Butterfly Collector
Funeral Pyre, Etc, Etc

Would be great in any genera -- Listen to the live at the BBC stuff, when he steps back from his vocal mic & it picks up the spiting sounds of his Marshall stack, mixed with the close miked cab -- Sounds phenomenal.

Bring back the late 70's!!! (I feel old now!!!)

Brendan

From the Jam are touring soon!

I also grew up listening to Bruce, now I have the pleasure of photographing the band when ever I want, all the other snappers get 3 songs, I get full set. How cool is that, sat a few feet away from one the geezers who you grew up listening too! I also get ther same privelage with SLF, another of my fave bands from back in the day, still are

Bruce still sounds great, great player and a great P bass sound through his Marshall stack!

Tony

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='624297' date='Oct 12 2009, 07:31 PM']From the Jam are touring soon![/quote]

I gather that Rick Buckler has the hump with Bruce and has left FTJ because Bruce agreed to play on the new Weller album, however.

Shame...

[url="http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/pandora/pandora-bucklers-not-from-the-jam-anymore-1792294.html"]http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/p...re-1792294.html[/url]

Edited by bassninja

[quote name='bassninja' post='624323' date='Oct 12 2009, 07:46 PM']I gather that Rick Buckler has the hump with Bruce and has left FTJ because Bruce agreed to play on the new Weller album, however.

Shame...

[url="http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/pandora/pandora-bucklers-not-from-the-jam-anymore-1792294.html"]http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/p...re-1792294.html[/url][/quote]

I knew Rick Buckler had left but I didn't know it was because of that!...amazing that BF & PW are talking again...now for that Jam reunion!...man can you imagine how well that would sell....like The Police comeback gigs

I been having a stab at this...I had to slow it down it bit though :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEqh62GTYo0&feature=PlayList&p=FD28E5B88D3205C8&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=19"]The Jam - The Night[/url]

Edited by Bass_In_Yer_Face

I know poeple from both camps, spoke to someone last night who knows the PW side and he's gonna have a snoop, the guy I know from the BF side is on the road right now I think, will check if he's in the UK and make a call some time today

Bit of a shame if the tour doesn't happen though, I do know they are not getting as good a responce as when they first went out as FTJ, but it was biggish news first time round and this is third time out. Whenever I see them they always pack the venues

T

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='624629' date='Oct 13 2009, 12:27 AM']that's a tough track![/quote]
It cetainly was tough, for me anyway....I probobly persevered(?) because it was my all time favorite Jam track....I only wish I could have got that Foxton sound.

After loosing most of the use of my left arm/hand for 2 years.....it's unlikely that I will ever be able to play that sort of stuff again....must scout through their stuf again and see if there are some easier ones to play around with.

T

[quote name='tredders' post='624235' date='Oct 12 2009, 06:32 PM']To add to the list of more obscure tracks with nice bass lines above: -

David Watts[/quote]

That's me!!!!! :)

Anyone else priveleged enough to have a song named after them?? (I'm assuming there are no Eleanor Rigby's on BC...). And t'was written by Ray Davies in the year I was born!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but couldn't resist!

Seriously fantastic bass player our Mr Foxton. A complete inspiration to me when I first started playing too. Although I could never get the hang of using one of those plecky thingamyjigs...

Maximum rispec!!

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='624197' date='Oct 12 2009, 05:41 PM']5. Man In The Cornershop[/quote]

The Jam's finest moment IMO

I saw Foxton on numerous occasions when he was playing with Stiff Little Fingers and he was superb. Really great.

Edited by WHUFC BASS