Why become a member? ×

Fretless Songs

Tait

[quote name='jacko' post='68157' date='Oct 1 2007, 02:18 PM']Good call. I'd recommend having a go at 'April' from the product album.[/quote]

Likewise, a good call - the great thing about "April" is that it's essentially a fretless solo with some ambient sound effects in the background. Sounds great on it's own, maybe with a touch of chorus and reverb.

'A Remark You Made' by Weather Report and the rest of the 1976 WR CD 'Heavy Weather'. Jaco's definitive moment with that band and an LP that changed the way we heard the bass forever. 'A Remark You Made' is actually quite easy to play and should sound convincing quite quickly so its a good place to start.

Percy Jones plays great fretless but his style is so personal it is very hard to relate it to things outside of Brand X. Very creative, tho'. There are a few great Joni Mitchell CDs with Jaco on called 'Shadows & Light', 'Hejira' and 'Mingus'; fantastic use of space and text book melodic fretless bass playing.

The fretless bass is an infintely more expressive instrument than a fretted one. I rarely play fretted since I got a Wal Custom in 1986. Can't get past the clanky sound of metal on metal instead of metal on wood. I hope you learn to love it as much as I have.

Take That Situation and Whistle Down the Wind - Nick Heyward (Pino I think)
Get here - Oleta Adams (Pino yet again)
Go West stuff (bloody Pino - yet again I'm sure)
Did someone mention New York Minute by Don Henley?
The Bad Company stuff is great. Shows you don't needs loads of chorus / delay and be slipping and sliding everywhere - but when you do...
Percy Jones - Brand X Livestock - "ish"
I keep a fretted and fretless to hand always. Fretless is such a unique voice. OK it was more "fashionable" in the 80's but its still valid now in the right context.
My main squeeze is a Pedulla Pentabuzz.

[quote name='JD1' post='69730' date='Oct 4 2007, 09:54 PM']Take That Situation and Whistle Down the Wind - Nick Heyward (Pino I think)
Get here - Oleta Adams (Pino yet again)
Go West stuff (bloody Pino - yet again I'm sure)
Did someone mention New York Minute by Don Henley?
The Bad Company stuff is great. Shows you don't needs loads of chorus / delay and be slipping and sliding everywhere - but when you do...
Percy Jones - Brand X Livestock - "ish"
I keep a fretted and fretless to hand always. Fretless is such a unique voice. OK it was more "fashionable" in the 80's but its still valid now in the right context.
My main squeeze is a Pedulla Pentabuzz.[/quote]

Pino is certainly not short of work is he?...I'd forgtotten that Oleta Adams song...ranks right up there in my most hated records list.

I can't recommend Karn's playing with Japan high enough. His first album 'Titles' is good as is his stuff with Pete Murphy in 'Dali's Car'......his solo albums afterwards are tough going mind.