Why become a member? ×

South East Bash

Merton

[quote name='ped' post='47213' date='Aug 18 2007, 08:42 PM']...we didn't arrive until about 2.30/3pm - fashionably late.[/quote]
You're kidding! As you were arriving, Bloodaxe and I were walking back to the station! :)

Stewart: sorry, mate. Too many new names and faces all in one room. Nurse doesn't like me to get excited, and once me medication wears off, it all becomes a bit of a blur. :huh:

[quote name='Oxblood' post='47192' date='Aug 18 2007, 06:54 PM']Really disappointed we never got to hear the V8, CK :) Next time, eh? Maybe by then I'll be able to bring the full VA350 rig and the two of us can have a mammoth ACME-vs-BFM Trace-Off! :huh:[/quote]

Ken, how about I bring the V8 next time (cabs permitting) and a Burman AND the Mesa Boogie Strategy 400 power amp? :huh:

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='47222' date='Aug 18 2007, 09:04 PM']Ken, how about I bring the V8 next time (cabs permitting) and a Burman AND the Mesa Boogie Strategy 400 power amp? :huh:[/quote]
Help! Mummy! :huh:

Oh yes...and what did I omit to mention? Only the most entertaining moment of the whole event, one that shall live forevermore in the annals of BC folklore: yes, I speak of...

[b]The Bloodaxe Flying D-String Trick[/b].

Priceless. I shall certainly never forget it - damn near took me eye out! :) Well done, Pete.

Hi Folks

Well, I had a great day today and will post some pics up later! Just wanted to say a quick thanks to Dave for arranging everything and for the leads - top bloke indeed!!

Also, thank to P-T-P (Pete) for hand-delivering my new Lakland DJ5 all the way from Wales, just in time for me to squeeze into the Laklands Owner's Club photos...Looking forward to playing it now! :)

It was nice to put faces to names after all this time and as someone else has said, there was some seriously good kit in there today! Highlights for me were (in no particular order):

Sibob's USA Fender Jazz
Luke Ward's Warwick Streamer 5
Nick Thomas's USA G&L USA L2500
Walman's Wal Pro1 (that is really a Wal Custom..)
Crazy Kiwi's Ken Smith 6
Bloodaxes 32" scale Aria bass with tremelo
OBBM's Lakland Duck Dunn

And if no one else has mentioned it I just thought I'd say that, though there was some very good equipment there today, more importantly, there were some very talented bassists there who just so happen to be very nice people.

See you at the next one guys!!

Nik

P.S. We shared out the remaining beers at the end, so thanks to whoever provided them...

Thank you to Dave for organising such a fun day. I had to leave around 1:30 as I'd promised to take my son swimming. We've a new baby in the house and he's feeling a bit neglected :)

Highlights for me were

1) meeting such a nice bunch of people
2) Kiwi's Celinder
3) OBBM's very nice sounding Epifani head and gorgeous Daryl Jones 5 (although it could do with one more fret :huh:)

Also, having the chance to A/B my main jazz (the red one) againsta load of other guitars highlighted a few tone shortcomings. As soon asI got home after taking my son out, I raised the pickups and adjusted the preamp gain and it sounds a whole lot better.

Good to meet up with everyone today & see all the toys come out to play. A veritable bevvy of beauties - the basses that is :huh:

Nice to try out some different and esoteric gear (dive bombing Aria anyone) and hear the tales of daring do & hiding the latest acquisition :) Certainly got my bass buds whetted for a spot of searching out a bargain or two.

Thanks to all involved in arranging the day.

Edited by WalMan

A good time was had by all !! Some lovely basses to noodle on, and a thoroughly nice bunch of blokes .... smelled a bit ,but that mighta been the room. lol
Highlight for me was probably that cute little cutlass of CK's ..... I've just got that sound stuck in my head now .
Looking forward to the next one.
Many thanks Dave!!

Nick.

[quote name='NickThomas' post='47260' date='Aug 19 2007, 12:41 AM']A good time was had by all !! Some lovely basses to noodle on, and a thoroughly nice bunch of blokes .... smelled a bit ,but that mighta been the room. lol
Highlight for me was probably that cute little cutlass of CK's ..... I've just got that sound stuck in my head now .
Looking forward to the next one.
Many thanks Dave!!

Nick.[/quote]

I think the technical term is rehearsal room funk.

I think you could certainly say a good time was had by all. Sorry I had to go early Luke and Ped but duty called. My ears are still ringing from all that bass and then playing with a drummer with a very loud metal snare last night.

In total we had 23 attendees which made it all worth while. I missed collecting subs from a couple of people but even so, we will be donating £100 to the Meningitus Trust.

Do we want to think about another one next year, perhaps on a Sunday?

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks to everyone who made the day as enjoyable as it was - and sorry I was late and missed many of you!

It was nice to see some old friends from past bashes and great to finally meet SiBob and Silverfoxnik - and many others whom your real names escape me!

It was a shame as myself and Ped went to get a bite to eat and all of a sudden everyone had left, but it was actually really good fun to sit and have a chat/jam with Nick (silverfoxnik) and Trevor (the legend - the one and only G-77).

HIghlights for me where probably the Lakland DJ that Nick had just aquired, the Carvin bass Ped brought along, and Kiwi's Smith 6 - had it not been a 6 stringer I would have snapped that one up.

I was also pretty stoked that everyone who played my Ibanez Gary Willis walked away with a big smile on thier faces, and the offers of swaps/trades where promptly refused - sorry guys but that one is a stayer!

Also enjoyed hearing Nick play my Warwick - Ive always loved the sound of it when im playing it but watching & listenig to nick made me realise how flippin' good it sounds from a lister's perspective.

Cheers guys, lets do another one!

Luke

Thanks OBBM for organising it. It was my first bash and it was interesting to meet and chat to everybody. Loved NickThomas' G&L L2500 and CK's Cutlass (go on then, stick it in a bag and I'll take it). Silverfoxnik played my Stingray better than it's ever been played (git), so he's now booked to dep for me at all my gigs. Was en route from a band rehearsal so didn't manage to bring gear much along but will pack the car up for the next time! May even bring the 1984 prototype Trace Elliot combo. :)

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='47339' date='Aug 19 2007, 12:24 PM'].....May even bring the 1984 prototype Trace Elliot combo. :)[/quote]

If you're going to do that then maybe we should have retro theme (not J-Retro) and I'll bring my WEM and Sound City bits. Anyone got a Framus Star bass?

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='47314' date='Aug 19 2007, 11:35 AM']Oh by the way - I owe someone my share of the room - can whoever organised it please PM me and ill sort you out with some spondooleys? Cheers![/quote]

Me too - is paypal OK?

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='47313' date='Aug 19 2007, 11:34 AM']Trevor (the legend - the one and only G-77).[/quote]

Whoot i'm a legend!!!

Good day , had much fun catching up with you all, I think the hi-light for me was watching Luke on the G-77, with a huge grin (did silverfoxnik take a pic), I eventually got it to run through the pa and got some big fat 80 synth sounds ringing out. Sorry i didn't get to take any video this time had my hand full with the G-77!!

oh yeh and that Funny French thing of Peds was ok, :)

See you all at the next one,

Trev.

[quote name='G-77' post='47377' date='Aug 19 2007, 01:59 PM']and a big thanks to Dave for sorting out the room.[/quote]

Thanks. BTW my Ashbory has screw mounted tuners so that's not the cause of the G detuning itself.

The Ashbry was great - I have asked my friend if I can have his uncles so might have one soon. It actually feels pretty natural having it in an 'upright' position, despite the fact it makes you look like you are having a tug, as Trev pointed out.