Why become a member? ×

Fingerboard Radius

Sibob

So I don't really understand fretboard radius'.
I understand that it's a curvature of the fingerboard, but where are the actual measurements coming from?

From what I can gather, 3 of my basses have these radius':
2003 US Jazz - 9.5"
1973 Jazz - 7.25"
Squier Deluxe 5string - 12"

Do the higher values mean, less curvature? I think my 5 string is flatter than the two 4's.
I'm more interested in the practical differences between my two Jazz basses to be honest

Thanks
Si

Imagine a circle with a 7.25" radius and your fretboard is a line between two points on the circle.
Using a bigger circle with a 12" radius with the same sized fretboard will be flatter.
Exaggerated example:
[attachment=34067:radius.PNG]

[size=1]edit for clearer pic and poor english :)[/size]

Edited by Protium

It means a bit more with guitars where a smaller radius (ie. more curve), can choke the strings if you bend them, especially if the action's really low. Bass generally having a higher action doesn't really mean so much. I've seen some multi string monsters (7, 8, 9 string), with no radius at all and are apparently very nice to play.

[quote name='Sibob' post='618812' date='Oct 6 2009, 06:32 PM']Gotcha!
Thanks very much!

So the difference between a 7.25" and a 9.5" is going to be fairly minuscule I guess!?

Si[/quote]

Well, it's like tonewoods, finishes, capacitors, construction, magnets etc. - some people don't think it makes any difference and some people think it's the difference between 'perfect' and 'unplayable'.

But yes, there's not much in it - probably more of a marketing ploy than an assertive effort on behalf of Fender to improve their instruments. :)

[quote name='henry norton' post='618811' date='Oct 6 2009, 05:32 PM']It means a bit more with guitars where a smaller radius (ie. more curve), can choke the strings if you bend them, especially if the action's really low. Bass generally having a higher action doesn't really mean so much. I've seen some multi string monsters (7, 8, 9 string), with no radius at all and are apparently very nice to play.[/quote]

Clever Dick here. A flat board doesn't mean no radius at all but an infinite radius :)

My 5 string Harlot had a flat board and was very nice to play. Some basses have a compound radius where the radius changes along the length of the neck.

Interesting topic this as I have conflicting thoughts on whether a bass really needs a radius on the fingerboard.
Is it purely left over from the double bass and other bowed string instruments that need a large radius to accommodate the bowing action.
With lead guitars barre chords are more comfortable played on a highly curved fingerboard and it aids string bending. Some classical and Flamenco guitars have a totally flat fingerboard that suits certain styles of playing and not others.
In other instances preople just report it as being 'more comfortable' with a radius.
Best thing to do is for me to put a neck together with a flat board and report back on my findings.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='619870' date='Oct 7 2009, 07:10 PM']Is that the same as asymmetrical radius or would asymmetric refer to a radius change across the neck rather than along the length of the neck?[/quote]

I'd say that assymetrical would be as you suggest, across the neck.

[quote name='nig' post='619840' date='Oct 7 2009, 06:24 PM']somewhere I downloaded a gauge you can print onto a sheet of paper, cut it out and you can tell what radius it is, try google for it.[/quote]

here?

[url="http://www.kinman.com/Shop/raduis_tmp.htm"]http://www.kinman.com/Shop/raduis_tmp.htm[/url]