Why become a member? ×

Jakesbass, Jakesbass And Thrice Jakesbass

jakenewmanbass

[quote name='silddx' post='495732' date='May 23 2009, 02:21 AM']...I was singing what I was playing, not playing what I was singing. He was absolutely right....[/quote]
Yeah, something that Victor Wooten does with a guy on his "Groove Workshop" DVD.

The difference between the two is very noticeable.

When you are actually doing it though, it isn't noticeable at all. I really thought I was being a clever c***. Jake simply pointed out what was obvious to him, like it was to you with the Wooten thing. Bloody weird I tell thee. The truth hurts.

I'm a certified professional trainer and I can confirm Jake is an absolute natural coach, it's rare gift.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='495746' date='May 23 2009, 02:56 AM']I had the pleasure of seeing him play live last year at the Manchester Jazz Festival. Had a chat with him afterwards. Thoroughly nice bloke.

He taught a guy called Ollie Collins up here who is now the bass tutor at Salford University.[/quote]
It was great talking to you too Pete...and thanks to you too
Ollie is a great guy and a great player too.

Ps and he took over from me at Salford when I moved darn sarf

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='silddx' post='495732' date='May 23 2009, 02:21 AM']I posted this on another thread but thought it deserved one of its own ..

Never having had a bass lesson ever, I had my first lesson with Jake Newman (Jakesbass on 'ere) a few hours ago. All I can say is my mind has been opened like a bloody flower! I'm no newbie to this bass biznis but blimey, has Jake taken me apart. I feel like a musician all of a sudden but with so much personal expression to learn. We talked a lot of the time and this was a massively important part of the session.

My most enormous f***ing lesson for tonight was: Sing what you hear in your head, then play it on the bass. Jake was singing me what he heard in his head, then playing it on the bass milliseconds later. I, being the competitive sort, had a bash at the same thing, Jake told me I was singing what I was playing, not playing what I was singing. He was absolutely right. I really thought I was playing what I was singing, but I truly wasn't and I instinctively knew that. A very humbling and exciting experience. It taught me a lot about myself and a helluva lot about why I didn't feel I was expressing myself musically. I am restricted by my technique, my repetitive patterns and my lack of/mis understanding of basic theory. I have some homework and I am raring to go! I can't believe how beneficial one lesson from a real musician (one making a living at it, one who has played with such notable musicians, and who is so accomplished at personal expression through a piece of wood with strings on it.) could be.

I feel so rejuvinated :)

Cheers, Jake.[/quote]

Amazing post! Really honest too...

That's exactly the same as I've felt about my playing for years now.. May be a visit to see a tutor of Jakesbass calibre is in order!

Nik

Not sure if I'm allowed to put recommendations in here but I'm sure one of the mods will move me if I'm not :)

I've just finished a 2 hour first session with Jake & was blown away with both his playing and the way he worked with me today.

We nattered for a while so he could get a feel for what I really wanted to learn and how I might want to apply it. This made such a difference in allowing him to set me some goals that were practical, achievable and, most importantly, actually fun. I can already see how some of the things he showed me will allow me to do the things I was asking for.

He then got me to play a few things and immediately set about showing me some exercises that would help improve my technique to make things more playable - probably my chief aim from taking lessons.

We also spent a while working on some general theory stuff - at my request, he certainly didn't try to ram theory down my throat, lol.

What was great was that he asked me to pick any song I liked & he then worked out the bass part in a bout 2 seconds flat & played along with it & filled in some nice solo parts. The reason for doing this was so he could bring together the various things we'd been working on & he could show me how I might be able to use my learning in the future to do something similar.

Really inspiring way of teaching and gave me some goals to aim for - although I think it might be a while before I can get close to some of them :lol:

Obviously we finished off with some more nattering about basses & players & music we both liked :rolleyes:

All in all a great way to spend a couple of hours, I recommend him very highly if you live anywhere near him. . .

Edited by molan

I've also joined the Jakesbass fan club today :)

Full details of my thoughts here : [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=50324&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=50324&st=0[/url]

Basic summary is that in only a couple of hours he helped me work on some technique stuff that will be really useful & inspired me to want to learn lots of new things.

The best part really was that he got a feel for what I was looking for very quickly & set about giving me help and advice on how to achieve it in a practical & inspiring way without me feeling that I was being 'preached' at.

Really made me want to pick up my bass & play, play, play :rolleyes:

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='500340' date='May 28 2009, 10:17 PM']Jake, come to Harrogate for a weekend and get free B&B at my place!!![/quote]

I don't think 'free' is enough - I'd glady pay to watch Jake improvising over the top of some funky soul songs :)

Thanks guys, it's great that my sometimes incoherent ramblings seem to make sense to you fellow bass nuts.... We are a special breed. And seriously I am really grateful for the kind words, I'm lucky enough to have had a bass either hanging off me or standing in front of me for the majority of my working life, so I'd be a fool if I hadn't noticed a few useful tips for those who have not had hold of one for so long :) :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

[quote name='jakesbass' post='625652' date='Oct 14 2009, 12:29 AM']Giving this thread a cheeky bump on the back of the SE Bass Bash workshop. I've got a couple of fortnightly slots going for anyone interested in learning.
Jake[/quote]

Looks like I've wangled myself a 4 day working week starting with almost immediate effect - might give me some time to get organised (at last!).

Sorry to go a little off topic, but I've just been listening to the songs on [url="http://www.myspace.com/jakebassnewman"]http://www.myspace.com/jakebassnewman[/url] and they're great! Are they available to buy either on CD or download?

Cheers

Mark.

[quote name='tredders' post='630516' date='Oct 19 2009, 04:52 PM']Sorry to go a little off topic, but I've just been listening to the songs on [url="http://www.myspace.com/jakebassnewman"]http://www.myspace.com/jakebassnewman[/url] and they're great! Are they available to buy either on CD or download?

Cheers

Mark.[/quote]

Thanks Mark.
you have a PM

[quote name='molan' post='500194' date='May 28 2009, 07:44 PM']I've just finished a 2 hour first session with Jake & was blown away with both his playing and the way he worked with me today.

All in all a great way to spend a couple of hours, I recommend him very highly if you live anywhere near him. . .[/quote]

I'll be the judge of all of this praise on 9th Nov and again on the 11th Dec after Jake turns me into a Double Bass ninja in the space of 4 hours. :)

I do feel that Jake should be paying me for the entertainment he's going to get watching me struggle with the monster.

I cannot wait......

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='farmer61' post='632492' date='Oct 21 2009, 03:01 PM']I'll be the judge of all of this praise on 9th Nov and again on the 11th Dec after Jake turns me into a Double Bass ninja in the space of 4 hours. :)

I do feel that Jake should be paying me for the entertainment he's going to get watching me struggle with the monster.

I cannot wait......[/quote]

Well I am pleased to confirm that I've just had a cracking first session on the DB with Jake.

Very laid back but well structured lesson, we seemed to cover an awful lot but the time just flew by.......can't wait to get hold of my DB to practice the stuff in prep for my next leson in Dec.

Anyone thinking or dithering about having lessons, go speak with Jake and I'm sure that you'll be as impressed as I am. Loads of useful tips, not just on DB but music 'theory' as well.

Well worth the effort of tackling the M4 on a Monday morning. Cheers Jake, see you in Dec!!!!

[quote name='farmer61' post='649744' date='Nov 9 2009, 03:17 PM']Well I am pleased to confirm that I've just had a cracking first session on the DB with Jake.

Very laid back but well structured lesson, we seemed to cover an awful lot but the time just flew by.......can't wait to get hold of my DB to practice the stuff in prep for my next leson in Dec.

Anyone thinking or dithering about having lessons, go speak with Jake and I'm sure that you'll be as impressed as I am. Loads of useful tips, not just on DB but music 'theory' as well.

Well worth the effort of tackling the M4 on a Monday morning. Cheers Jake, see you in Dec!!!![/quote]
:) :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

More plaudits!!

I have just had my first DB lesson with Jake also. Marked by his patience, understanding and attention to detail, he has given me the chance to lay some ghosts to rest and to move over to an instrument I have longed to play for decades. I have just pm'd him to say that I feel like I have been reborn, playing wise, and have been given a whole new entusiasm for practising, a new focus and sense of purpose. It would be indiscreet of me to go into too much detail but I can never thank Jake enough for his generosity and encouragement at what is a crucial point in my musical career. Whatever else happens now, Jake will always have played a crucial part in it.

The man is an absolute diamond.