Why become a member? ×

Jakesbass, Jakesbass And Thrice Jakesbass

jakenewmanbass

Hi I'm just south west of London.
I was Bass tutor at Salford University for 8 years before relocating south due to proximity of work and airports.
I have also taught at the arts centre in Liverpool.
I teach all styles, reading, theory, technique etc etc
If you want a reference ask MikeyD (I taught him for a short while)
I'll travel if costs are paid (any distance considered)
PM if you're interested
Jake

PS I teach double and electric
will provide CV of gigging and recording experience if required. (Includes Ike Willis and Bobby Martin of Frank Zappas band)

Edited by jakenewmanbass

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Despite being a working player for the last few years, I've only just got my first upright. As the field of work in electric seems to be narrowing all the time, I figured it would be wise to stay slightly ahead of the curve.

Anyway, I don't tend to post much on here these days, apart from the odd transcription that I chuck up on the theory section. However, I forgot how good it was to have one-on-one lessons, and a big thumbs-up goes to Jake for having an infinite amount of patience. I *think* I'm now only two days away from having the best bow grip in Surrey. All that's left is to learn how to play the rest of the instrument *cough*

If anyone on here is considering lessons, they would definitely do a lot worse than to book a session with Jake. I've come away feeling a lot of enthusiasm. It's quite a rare experience to find somebody that's both a good musician and a good teacher (quite often you either get one or the other) but I definitely fell on my feet here!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Jake any chance of you moving to the Wirral, so I can start upright lessons? :)

Seriously though, can you recommend good tutors in the North West, as I'm seriously considering upright.

I feel really excited about playing one, I have only played an upright once before and was overwhelmed by its sheer size and the sound was incredible.

I know that double basses can cost tens, hundreds of thousands of pounds but could you recommend anything for a novice, are there any good Chinese ones for instance?

Cheers Steve.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='225754' date='Jun 24 2008, 11:24 AM']Hi Jake any chance of you moving to the Wirral, so I can start upright lessons? :)

Seriously though, can you recommend good tutors in the North West, as I'm seriously considering upright.

I feel really excited about playing one, I have only played an upright once before and was overwhelmed by its sheer size and the sound was incredible.

I know that double basses can cost tens, hundreds of thousands of pounds but could you recommend anything for a novice, are there any good Chinese ones for instance?

Cheers Steve.[/quote]
I used to live in Birkenhead Steve, by Prenton park, I work in the North quite often and will more than happily fire dates at you for when I will be up. I can get you started and probably find someone who is up there to give you a lesson or two, it depends on what you want really.
I'm in Manchester from 6th to 9th july with daytime gigs 8th, 9th, 10th and a rehearsal on 8th eve, then I'm up again on 18/19th July for a gig at the manchester Jazz festival.
I have also agreed to do the same for another BC'r in Manc so let me know if that sounds interesting.

When it comes to choosing a bass it's a trade off between value and quality. You want it to sound good so it feels worth playing but most people don't want to spend a fortune to discover if they like it. I would be happy to give you a first lesson on my bass so you get to know what a decent one feels like then you could decide what would be a good next step.
There is a guy who sell basses in Hoylake (or there was)

Interested? Pm me if you are.

PS the same goes for anyone on here, I work all over the country all the time so I'm always willing to try fit people in on double or electric or both!

Jake

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='225929' date='Jun 24 2008, 02:58 PM']Jake....who are you gigging with at the Manchester Jazz Festival?[/quote]
Hi Pete, it's a band called Bossa Nouvelle, run by a saxophonist called Suzanne Higgins, arrangements by Andy Schofield.
Mike Walker gtr, Les Chisnall pno, Steve Gilbert drms, Brian Hargreaves perc, and five horns.
Really lovely arrangements and some great playing, it's quite a gentle gig, but very very tasteful. Lots of Jobim, a few originals, some lovely grooves.
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='225951' date='Jun 24 2008, 03:32 PM']Hi Pete, it's a band called Bossa Nouvelle, run by a saxophonist called Suzanne Higgins, arrangements by Andy Schofield.
Mike Walker gtr, Les Chisnall pno, Steve Gilbert drms, Brian Hargreaves perc, and five horns.
Really lovely arrangements and some great playing, it's quite a gentle gig, but very very tasteful. Lots of Jobim, a few originals, some lovely grooves.
Jake[/quote]
Nice one. I'll watch out for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I should just pop my head in and say that after reading this thread I booked my first lesson with Jake. I've been playing electric for a long time, and work professionally as a musician (although not on upright!). I've been dabblin in double for about 18 months, but have only previously had a couple of lessons.

I really enjoyed my first lesson with Jake, he was very positive and related things very clearly, I've already come away with a much clearer focus about where I need to improve my playing and more importantly some exercises to practice to actually do that (effing Backbeat, I feel like such a tool not being able to get that right, grrr)!

Cheers Jake, see you next week.

• 5 months later...

Just returned from a double bass lesson with Jake. What a top man! He quickly identified what I wanted / needed to develop and gave me some really useful things to go away and work on. I strongly recommend Jake as a tutor if you want to become a better bassist! :)

[quote name='Starvolt' post='368528' date='Jan 2 2009, 03:13 PM']Jakesbass eh?

Hmmm...[/quote]

If you're refering to the Vampyre thing not long ago

1) that was JakeBass, not jakesbass.

2) isn't it about time we all dropped it and gave JakeBass another chance? I mean, lets say this thread was saying JakeBass (rather than jakesbass) was a top man, theres no need to bring up something we all know happened and defeat the point of this thread.

sorry to drag it up if you weren't refering to that, but i felt it needed to be said.

back on topic, there are a lot of great people on here, and jakesbass is a regular poster. im happy to hear he's a nice guy face to face, not just on an internet forum, because i often wonder how different/similar people are face to face when theyre on the internet.

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='368542' date='Jan 2 2009, 03:28 PM']If you're refering to the Vampyre thing not long ago

1) that was JakeBass, not jakesbass.

2) isn't it about time we all dropped it and gave JakeBass another chance? I mean, lets say this thread was saying JakeBass (rather than jakesbass) was a top man, theres no need to bring up something we all know happened and defeat the point of this thread.[/quote]
1. True
2. no.

Jakesbass seems a nice guy though. Maybe he could come to the bash and bring his upright :)

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='Starvolt' post='368564' date='Jan 2 2009, 03:48 PM']Gah, my bad!

Sounds (well looks) similar though!

Sorry Jakesbass, I'm sure you are a top bloke ^^[/quote]

Like I said, Jake is a top, top man and shouldn't be confused with any imitations / lesser models of Jakeness.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='368562' date='Jan 2 2009, 03:45 PM']1. True
2. no.

Jakesbass seems a nice guy though. Maybe he could come to the bash and bring his upright :huh:[/quote]

Thanks :) I would love to have been to the last one and will if i am free come to future ones, I tend to be gigging, which is no bad thing for me :huh:

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='Starvolt' post='368564' date='Jan 2 2009, 03:48 PM']Gah, my bad!

Sounds (well looks) similar though!

Sorry Jakesbass, I'm sure you are a top bloke ^^[/quote]
I bought a cab off Jake a while ago and can confirm that he is, indeed, a top bloke......

• 4 months later...

I posted this on another thread but thought it deserved one of its own ..

Never having had a bass lesson ever, I had my first lesson with Jake Newman (Jakesbass on 'ere) a few hours ago. All I can say is my mind has been opened like a bloody flower! I'm no newbie to this bass biznis but blimey, has Jake taken me apart. I feel like a musician all of a sudden but with so much personal expression to learn. We talked a lot of the time and this was a massively important part of the session.

My most enormous f***ing lesson for tonight was: Sing what you hear in your head, then play it on the bass. Jake was singing me what he heard in his head, then playing it on the bass milliseconds later. I, being the competitive sort, had a bash at the same thing, Jake told me I was singing what I was playing, not playing what I was singing. He was absolutely right. I really thought I was playing what I was singing, but I truly wasn't and I instinctively knew that. A very humbling and exciting experience. It taught me a lot about myself and a helluva lot about why I didn't feel I was expressing myself musically. I am restricted by my technique, my repetitive patterns and my lack of/mis understanding of basic theory. I have some homework and I am raring to go! I can't believe how beneficial one lesson from a real musician (one making a living at it, one who has played with such notable musicians, and who is so accomplished at personal expression through a piece of wood with strings on it.) could be.

I feel so rejuvinated :)

Cheers, Jake.

Edited by silddx