Why become a member? ×

Jakesbass, Jakesbass And Thrice Jakesbass

jakenewmanbass

I just had a 2 hour lesson with Jake on DB. I have a new band and a gig upcoming, never having gigged a DB (or in truth played it much in the past decade) and we concentrated on lh and rh technique, positioning and intonation (sliding to position etc). Fantastic clear instructions, reinforcement of messages so that I retained them, and a thoroughly nice guy to boot. Noone has ever played my Alembic Spoiler so well either! Highly recommended. Once I am the other side of my first gig, I will definitely book another lesson with Jake to work on those areas have been exposed in the band/live situation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Apologies Jake, it just twigged I should have posted some feedback before

Anyway, the following is a similar to something I wrote in another thread

Went to see Jake a while back as a 41 year old who had been playing off an on since the 80s as self taught only, and really wanted an assessment

Jake gave me some really good pointers at things that where limiting me (such as right hand speed)

But also gave me confidence in the things I had learnt and developed well (such as left hand use, even though I didn't know I was doing ok)

So very helpful indeed

Can totally recommend him, I only wish id someone like Jake to help me when I was 16

• 4 weeks later...

I had my first lesson with Jake on Tuesday and to sum it up - absolutely fantastic!

He's one of those guys who's not just a first class player but also a great teacher - very personable and a crystal clear communicater.

During the session he was able to quickly identify my strengths & weakesses as a player and develop a practise routine to develop my weak areas.

As well as this, he really focussed on my personal goals. We covered a huge ammount of ground in 2 hours - slap technique, funk theory, fretboard knowledge, puntuality - really everyting that I wanted to cover.

I've come away with a structured practise routine of simple but very demanding (for me!) exercises which will make the world of difference to my playing.

I really can't recommend him highly enough :)

• 1 month later...

A breif big-up for the Jakesbass following my first lesson last night.

Jake is a great guy and knows how to handle his (beautiful) bass(es). I felt really comfortable learning and listening to his coaching and quickly relaxed to take on board what he was saying. It was great having Jake guide me through some initial observations and giving me the feedback. I was really in a rut with my playing but after 2 hours with Jake I feel really motivated and re-energised. I look forward to my next lesson on a few weeks where I hope to able to show some improvement having followed the training excercises.

Thanks Jake. :)

Best regards
Christian.

ps. driving back along Hogsback/A3 last night was v. scarey - more like swimming.....

hi Jake,
thanks for the lesson today,
I was expecting to come home with my head exploding from information overload
and not wanting to play till the pain went away :) , happily I was wrong,
I got back and was straight out with the bass to practice what id been shown.
Its great to find a teacher who makes learning enjoyable,
and explains things in a way that makes them seem quite simple.
thanks for the inspiration and see you next month. Dave. :)

Jake rocks. If you are close enough to Aldershot and want lessons, you would be lucky to find anyone better. After 28 years on electric, around 12 months ago, with some targetted intervention, he gave me the gift of a whole new instrument (the double bass) and I have been gigging on it since March 2010. Still learning to get the most out of the thing and learninig the ropes but I can confidently say I can play the thing now and it has opened up a world of new music for me that was previously unavailable. Now THAT was money well spent..

Thanks Dave and Bilbo,
This is quite an old ad so since posting I've taught quite a few BCers, their comments, in a thread kindly started by Molan can be found here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=97672"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=97672[/url]

I have quite a few students at the mo but can always squeeze people in especially for one off lessons.

Had my first lesson with Jake yesterday, well worth the 2 hour round trip.
He's not only a great player but also a fantastic teacher,
he manages to explain things in such a way even my brain can understand.
As a beginner its great to find a teacher who is so inspirational and patient.

In my global moderator role, I have just merged 5 seperate Jakesbass feedback threads so this is now 5 pages long.

I just want to add something that I have not mentioned that needs to be said.

Some of you may know that I had long had amental block where the double bass was concerned having had a previous run in with the instrument that resulted in a hanmd injury. Amongst other things, I got into a discussion with Jake about what some of the issues may have been and I decided I would consider having another go. I was contemplating how to get hold of an instrument with a budget of fourpence ha'pennny when, get this, in an unsolicited PM, Jake offered to lend me a £3,000 double bass for six months to see how I get on. I also had a lesson with him when I picked it up (see above) which allowed me to regain my momentumon the instrument without any damage to my hands/arms.

Now, this act of generosity has set me up with a whole new passion in music and I am looking forward to learning more and taking my playing in a new direction. But what made me even more grateful for the loan was the fact that, when he made the offer of the loan, Jake didn't know me; we had never met, spoken, seen each other play or anything else. Our only connection was a couple of mutual acquaintances on the Cardiff jazz scene (we both spent time there but at different times in our playing careers). Other than that, our only contact was here on Basschat.

So, once again, kudos to Jake for his natural teaching skills, generosity in both spirit and action and an unreserved recommendation to anyone who is looking to improve. I will forever be grateful to him.

And, while I am at it, I also have to acknowledge the fact that he occasionally tempers my worst excesses in posts here with his reasonable and reasoned responses. I promise I will not hold that against him :)

• 2 months later...

Just to add a bit more praise for Jakesbass... :)

I've had a few lessons with Jake now, and I can't recommend him highly enough. He's one of those rare people who's not only brilliant at what they do, but can also impart their wisdom to others.

Well worth battling the horrors of the M25 for!

Well, it may come as no surprise that having had my first lesson with Jake, I can only endorse what others have already said here.

Over the course of two hours, Jake worked with me to establish a clear way forward in my bass playing career. He quickly assessed my knowledge and abilities, then showed me the way forward in a clear, understandable fashoin.
As many others have found, I came away with a sense that my musical career has kick started again and a new sense of hopeand purpose, which makes a real change to weeks and months of going round and round in my own musical circles.

You want to advance your musical career ? get it here folks !

Thanks Jake, the next lesson is definately on my list

Cheers :)

Tom

• 3 months later...

I had a 2-hour introductory lesson on DB with Jake last week, in the comfort of my own sitting room.

An excellent session all round, taken at a pace that was comfortable for me, focusing on issues that mattered to me, and placing equal emphasis on identifying what I was doing well as on what I was doing poorly.

Conspicuous by their absence were a dogmatic approach, an obsession with "right" and "wrong" ways to play the DB, and big chunks of musical theory.

Instead, Jake built his teaching around what I actually needed from the lesson.

An ideal way to spend an evening. :)

• 2 months later...

A wee bumpy for the autumn season. I have a few slots.
I have a new teaching space/studio complete with logic and a real live drum kit.
I seem to be having success with the idea of 2 hr lessons monthly so for those that are happy to have a workload to take away it saves on the travelling, I have a few students that come from 50/60 miles once a month and it seems to work well for them.
Fancy some inspiration and a bit of direction? give me a call.
Jake

• 2 weeks later...

The bump worked! I joined Basschat recently specifically to find a tutor to get me out a rut and had my first lesson with Jake this week.

A 120 mile round trip was definitely worth it - friendly, relaxing, informative, encouraging and inspiring....what more can you ask?

Cheers Jake, will speak again very soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 2 hour lesson with Jake on Saturday. I can only echo the feedback left by others here. Inspirational!

We discussed the areas that I'm looking to brush up on (theory being one!) and established a way forward for me. Jake has a great relaxed approach & gave me confidence in the abilities I didn't know I had!

I can highly recommend him - a brilliant tutor! My homework is to learn scales in all 12 major keys to learn for my next lesson............Thanks Jake. :)

Angie

Edited by SlackAlice

• 1 month later...

I had my second lessons with Jake last week, and I have to confirm what other people said, he is a natural born teacher!

I have just started learning to play the double bass and I really feel Jake is taking good care of me, his way of teaching is very clear and straight to the point, very productive lessons indeed!

cheers
andrea

• 1 month later...

Just want to point out that I have changed my user name to jakenewmanbass
This fits in with my new website which is under construction, and to let you know that I will be offering skype/facetime lessons for users that have the technology to make it work.
Also, as usual thanks to those that have taken the trouble to give me such positive feedback. :0)