Why become a member? ×

Studio Recordings (no logo)

cheddatom

I play bass in the band (no logo), and I also mostly mix the CDs we do, with the help of the drummer who edits most of the audio, and the drummer's and singer's opinions.

I was wondering if anyone who is interested in recording/mixing would have a listen to our existing demos on www.no-logo.co.uk and point out the positives, and negatives of the mixes, so that I can use this to improve the new CD we're working on.

We recorded everything for 3 songs at my old uni last week on a Pro Tools/HD24 system. Now i'm mixing at home with Cubase and Hi-Fi speakers! It's already sounding good, but, I would like opinions on previous stuff, as I always like to keep moving forward.

I quite like the panning, it sounds a bit different anyway. I found the whole mix a tiny bit muddy, perhaps some more seperation between the distorted guitar and the bass might help. Really good tunes though. I can definitely hear your influences!

As always, it is hard to discuss a mix properly from a myspace version, which always sound very compressed.

Very good tunes though, really good!!! You are fairly close to me so I could come and see you at some point.

Cool, we're not gigging that much at the moment though :-/

You can download decent quality mp3s from the links in the frame on the left. I like the panning, but I thought it helped seperation, so..... And anyway, I think the guitar on one side, distorted bass on the other was a bit too unconventional for the rest of the band. This new one will be more guitars, more conventional, which is even harder to not get muddy!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='66350' date='Sep 27 2007, 11:42 AM']Cool, we're not gigging that much at the moment though :-/

You can download decent quality mp3s from the links in the frame on the left. I like the panning, but I thought it helped seperation, so..... And anyway, I think the guitar on one side, distorted bass on the other was a bit too unconventional for the rest of the band. This new one will be more guitars, more conventional, which is even harder to not get muddy![/quote]
ah man leave the guitar on one side and bass on the other, thats what i love so much about your recordings!

[quote name='fleamail' post='66520' date='Sep 27 2007, 05:43 PM']I was misunderstood! What I tryed to say is that the volume of the right channel is louder that the left and that breaks the stereo image.

The panning is great![/quote]

Hmmmmm, what song is this? I would have thought I would have noticed that! Erroneous :-(

Nice,

I love the reversed drums on Ghost. Infact, i love the track :huh:

Mixes sound great, my only thing is (and this may be myspace) is they are a little muddy in the low mid area but this is a mastering issue. I like the panning and the songs :)

Maybe go back into the mix and just cut the distorted guitars at 15-250hz and the same with the bass.

Good work though

G

Heh, thanks for all the comments. I think there are some mastering issues on most of our stuff, 'cos we don't spend enough time on it really. It seems everyone thinks we're not far off though, which is good, but, the new cd will sound a bit different I think!

Kev - Start a band, book a gig, get us to support you!

• 1 month later...

We've finished the CD now, it's 3 tracks. We're not making them all available at the moment, as we're considering our options, but, on www.myspace.com/nologorock, you can listen to one of the new songs called "fake smiles in the photograph". Please let me know what you think of the recording/mix/master.

Really loving your band!
Only thing I would say about the recording is maybe right at the beginning when it is just the guitar riff the hi hat could be a little louder. The first time I listened I didn't get the timing of the riff until the rest of the band came in. And it's such an awesome riff! TBH I would probably not really want the hi-hat there keeping time, but on second listening I got a more immediate kick from the song knowing how the riff fits. Did that make sense?