Why become a member? ×

Pre-gig rituals

Tee

Make sure my bowels are evacuated, have one bottle of beer, have two bananas (an old drummer friend of mine said something about natural beta-blockers, that reduce the adrenaline uptake/effect, actually I just like bananas) and compulsively check my cables are all wired up correctly.

Also spend most of my time reinforcing to the sound engineer that under no circumstances is he to shoot Phantom Power back up his lines at my gear.

[quote name='Toasted' post='613742' date='Oct 1 2009, 12:28 PM']Make sure my bowels are evacuated, have one bottle of beer, have two bananas (an old drummer friend of mine said something about natural beta-blockers, that reduce the adrenaline uptake/effect, actually I just like bananas) and compulsively check my cables are all wired up correctly.[/quote]

Bananas seem to act as a laxative for me so I'd personally stay clear..... I have Steak Chips and Gravy in the afternoon and no beer at all before hand.

A pint of iced water and double check what we're playing first................

Set up at 7- finished at 7.30 with little soundcheck.

Have a wee and wander onto the stage at 9.15 -wait for other members to wander to the stage- wait for singer to go to the bar and bring his drink onto stage- wait for sax and horn to tune up ( loudly ) wait for guitarist to tune up ( loudly ) start the first song realizing I`m out of tune.

Bob

Earlier in the day - load car, check cables, basses etc.

Couple of hours before loading in we usually run through the set in our practice space if possible

Food

Load in

Soundcheck

Drinks

Play

Drinks! (if not driving, of course :) )

Also in terms of me I always play the bassline to "I Wish" by Stevie Wonder as a warm up, also do a bit of tapping to get my aim correct :rolleyes: . Oh yes and tuning a million times

Edited by ashevans09

There seems to be a pattern emerging - I generally go to the toilet and make sure I have a beer for in between songs, but I make sure I'm quick cos a drummer from a few bands ago once delayed our set by 15 mins cos he was straining out a painful number 2 :wacko:

Earlier in the day , I'm normally out with the wife and kids . Then near 4pm , I start to mention that I need to get back for the gig . She cops the hump and says that all I think about is bass (your point?) .
Then a massive rush , when she insists on making me a "quick tea" that takes me right up to the wire time wise . Love her really .

[quote name='Tee' post='613718' date='Oct 1 2009, 12:06 PM']Just wondering. Does anyone here have any pre-gig rituals they perform, to get them in the mood for a show. Loud music? booze? meditation? shutting yourself in the toilet? Do share :rolleyes:[/quote]
Our vocalist has to have a lucky dump and I do have a phone photo taken over the trap door while we were in the stars dressing room (that'll be the bogs to you) but I won't inflict that on you - rather too much information all round. We generally sneak off and leave him to it, particularly if he is chatting through the door and a punter walks in :)

Otherwise
[list]
[*]slash
[*]check the first two numbers in the set
[*]go for it
[/list]

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='Moos3h' post='613739' date='Oct 1 2009, 12:25 PM']Always try and have a poo.

Seriously, nothing [b]impacts[/b] on your performance more than wanting to crimp one out two minutes into Set 1, Song 1.[/quote]

Good choice of words!

+1 though, i always try to fire one out before the gig

No rituals anymore, but I also go for a piss and ensure I have a stage beer ready. I'm usually a bit distracted and impatient to get on and you can't get much out of me in terms of conversation.

Anyone else get this perennial bloody nuisance that after you wash your hands before going on stage (I like to have nice clean hands before going on, do you?) the f***ing hand dryer never works? :) At best it's as powerful as gerbil breath. No venue seems to provide paper towel dispensers any more!

I always take a poop about half an hour before playing. Also, I tune about a thousand times just before playing, even though my basses rarely detune.

Longer before? I'm always ready to leave about an hour before I actually have to leave. And I always have the feeling I forgot something.

And oh yeah, I never, ever listen to the music I'm going to play on the day itself. Never.

Fighting for enough room to play on the stage is about it, along with the obligatory wee. Sometimes a 7 piece band is a pain in the proverbial, especially when the guitarists have the starship enterprise for pedal boards.