Why become a member? ×

If you ever watch the Who now and wonder ...

OldGit

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='67870' date='Sep 30 2007, 08:32 PM']Over rated means all the people that think The Who were the greatest are wrong - unless my understanding of the english language has changed.

Homer is right - it is impossible to compare todays crap bands with the greats of the past.[/quote]

Ah I see we were agreeing with each other then.. :)

yeah It's also impossible to compare the crap bands [i]of the day[/i] with the 'oo, Hendrix, the Stones and other rock pioneers ...

It was interesting to see the list of the proto-rock bands like the Yardbirds, Cream etc.
The big big difference with the Who and Jimi) was the showmanship. They were more famous in their day(in the Daily Mail anyway) for Pete smashing guitars, Moonie smashing drums (and dipping the headlights of his Rolls Royce - in a pool), Rog swinging his mic around his head and Entwhisle standing stock still and a carrying on whilst the rest all did their wild things all around him

The stutter in My Generation was as revolutionary in its day as The pistols swearing on the telly at tea time.

I never took JE seriously until a couple of years ago when I listened to the solo'd bass on won't get fooled again.

The huge problem was that the bass was never loud enough in the mix most of the time so I couldn't hear what everyone was raving about.

I could be wrong but wasn't Roger going to the get the spanish archer and be replaced by Boz Burrell many moons ago because he wasn't good enough? (no pun intended)

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='68015' date='Oct 1 2007, 09:59 AM']Now, let's hear it for Radiohead![/quote]
I really digged Radiohead. Got Pablo Honey and The Bends and then got OK Computer and wondered why. Same with Oarsis - two great albums and then ?

Got high hopes for Muse.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='68443' date='Oct 1 2007, 11:37 PM']I really digged Radiohead. Got Pablo Honey and The Bends and then got OK Computer and wondered why. Same with Oarsis - two great albums and then ?

Got high hopes for Muse.[/quote]

I'm surprised you think that - popular consensus (not that I'm necessarily endorsing that as bible) is that they really took off with OK Computer. Personally I'd say OK Computer and Kid A are my faves.

Radiohead's problem is very different to Oasis' problem, in my opinion. Oasis wrote a staggeringly good debut, and have been trying to recapture it over and over with diminishing returns. Radiohead intentionally change direction with every new album - this means that some of their stuff might be to your taste and some might not. I can understand someone preferring The Bends to Amnesiac or Amnesiac to The Bends, but I can't imagine anyone ever saying they liked Be Here Now more than Definitely Maybe.

Make sense?

My favourite Muse is Origin of Symmetry. They're a band that changes over time, too, becoming more and more grandiose with every record. They've gone a bit too far for my tastes, but I wish them and their fans luck.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='68680' date='Oct 2 2007, 03:02 PM']I'm surprised you think that - popular consensus (not that I'm necessarily endorsing that as bible) is that they really took off with OK Computer. Personally I'd say OK Computer and Kid A are my faves.

Radiohead's problem is very different to Oasis' problem, in my opinion. Oasis wrote a staggeringly good debut, and have been trying to recapture it over and over with diminishing returns. Radiohead intentionally change direction with every new album - this means that some of their stuff might be to your taste and some might not. I can understand someone preferring The Bends to Amnesiac or Amnesiac to The Bends, but I can't imagine anyone ever saying they liked Be Here Now more than Definitely Maybe.

Make sense?

My favourite Muse is Origin of Symmetry. They're a band that changes over time, too, becoming more and more grandiose with every record. They've gone a bit too far for my tastes, but I wish them and their fans luck.[/quote]

I think Radiohead were OK on the first three albums. When Kid A came out i just thought it was unlistenable which is a shame as 'The Bends' is an excellent album.

I always preferred Blur to Oasis to be frank but I thought 'Heathen Chemistry' had some good moments.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='68680' date='Oct 2 2007, 03:02 PM']Radiohead's problem is very different to Oasis' problem, in my opinion. Oasis wrote a staggeringly good debut, and have been trying to recapture it over and over with diminishing returns. Radiohead intentionally change direction with every new album - this means that some of their stuff might be to your taste and some might not. I can understand someone preferring The Bends to Amnesiac or Amnesiac to The Bends, but I can't imagine anyone ever saying they liked Be Here Now more than Definitely Maybe.

Make sense?[/quote]
Definitely, maybe.

[quote name='bass_in_yer_face' post='68857' date='Oct 2 2007, 10:33 PM']I think Radiohead were OK on the first three albums. When Kid A came out i just thought it was unlistenable which is a shame as 'The Bends' is an excellent album.[/quote]

Kid A is a definite departure from the indie-rock stylings of Th Bends. But is quite wonderful in its way. Do like electronic music generally? There are also some classic 'song' songs on that record - idioteque and how to disappear completely are awesome pop. I'm always surprised that more bassists don't like The National Anthem from that album - that song has the meatiest bassline of their whole career (with the possible exception of the synthy fuzz horror that is Myxomatosis - one of my faves from Hail to the Thief).

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='68857' date='Oct 2 2007, 10:33 PM']Definitely, maybe.[/quote]

:)

Sorry for derailing the thread guys. I just love those Radiohead fellas.