Why become a member? ×

Show us your playing videos!

budget bassist

Nice SaimoN. I noticed your right wrist is quite straight when you play, is that intentional? Just curious if there's a technical reason to keep the wrist straight instead of curved over the bass.

17 hours ago, SaimoN said:

I've been practicing walking bass lines from Ed Friedland's book and uploaded this to instagram today - playing along with Impressions by John Coltrane. Full disclosure, I slowed the track down as haven't got it up to tempo yet!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNctxdHl6a-/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Caroline

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caz said:

Nice SaimoN. I noticed your right wrist is quite straight when you play, is that intentional? Just curious if there's a technical reason to keep the wrist straight instead of curved over the bass.

I've been practicing walking bass lines from Ed Friedland's book and uploaded this to instagram today - playing along with Impressions by John Coltrane. Full disclosure, I slowed the track down as haven't got it up to tempo yet!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNctxdHl6a-/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Caroline

Thank you very much!👽 My right hand position is very comfy for me, no muscle tension whatsoever;] I guess it's a technique thing - I attack the strings from a different angle than you, more aggresively (though I'm not heavy handed), to get my strings to hit the frets. Your video is very nice! Keep up the good work👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, SaimoN said:

Thank you very much!👽 My right hand position is very comfy for me, no muscle tension whatsoever;] I guess it's a technique thing - I attack the strings from a different angle than you, more aggresively (though I'm not heavy handed), to get my strings to hit the frets. Your video is very nice! Keep up the good work👽

1 hour ago, Caz said:

Same here. I keep the wrists as straight as possible, in order not to stress the joints and tendons. Apart from this, arthritis forces me to be very careful to not get inflamed joints.

• Like 2

Thanks for the straight wrist advice. Been trying it out a bit today, can see the benefits from a physical point of view, probably isn't good to have the wrist bent all the time. It changes the angle I pluck the strings at a bit, like was mentioned.. I'll look into this a bit more

3 minutes ago, Caz said:

Thanks for the straight wrist advice. Been trying it out a bit today, can see the benefits from a physical point of view, probably isn't good to have the wrist bent all the time. It changes the angle I pluck the strings at a bit, like was mentioned.. I'll look into this a bit more

When I see a jazz bassist with the bass high up on the chest, having the right wrist bent almost 180 degrees to reach the strings, I'm feeling fatigue already.

Instead my bass is hanging low. Some say one doesn't have full control over low hanging basses. I don't know, as I don't have full control over my fingers anyway. 🙁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mudvayne - Happy? bass cover, from the 2005 Lost and Found album.
They are back! I'm so hyped about Mudvayne reunion, hope they will record a new album really soon. In the meantime, hope you all feel the same way that I do right now... Are you feeling Happy?!
This is quite simple but powerful song! Very nice melodic verse riffs and coll tapping on chorus - I really enjoyed learning this bassline by Ryknow.
Feel free to share if you liked this bass playthrough!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

Over lockdown I got bored and made a few videos to keep me playing.

Lovely this - big JB fan. Singer has done a great job (nice voice) - with someone like Jeff Buckley and his vocal acrobatics, it’s easy to do a mimic/parody; he’s done his own thing and that’s mint.

Good band you’ve got mate, pretty jealous TBF.

Made my morning 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

Lovely this - big JB fan. Singer has done a great job (nice voice) - with someone like Jeff Buckley and his vocal acrobatics, it’s easy to do a mimic/parody; he’s done his own thing and that’s mint.

Good band you’ve got mate, pretty jealous TBF.

Made my morning 😉

Thanks! Angus (singer) is an absolute beast, one of the best singers I've ever worked with.

• Like 1

This is the most recent of the lockdown projects I've gotten done from my laundry list, and It also happened to tie in nicely with the odd meters challenge thats been running over on SBL! This is taken from Dream Theater's Live At Budokan DVD, it was built around The Dance Of Eternity and features music from various other instrumentals.

This is Instrumedley!

Its a particular thing (as is all of progressive music) but hopefully some of you will dig this.

Ben

p.s - props to any of you that make it through all 12 minutes!

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, funkypenguin said:

This is the most recent of the lockdown projects I've gotten done from my laundry list, and It also happened to tie in nicely with the odd meters challenge thats been running over on SBL! This is taken from Dream Theater's Live At Budokan DVD, it was built around The Dance Of Eternity and features music from various other instrumentals.

This is Instrumedley!

Its a particular thing (as is all of progressive music) but hopefully some of you will dig this.

Ben

p.s - props to any of you that make it through all 12 minutes!

Holy sh!t, that was freaking fantastic!!! Very well done, sir!  🤘 😎

• Like 1

Otep - Ghostflowers bass cover, from the 2007 The Ascension album.
Very complex bass line written by pretty unknown & even more underestimated Jason "eViL J" McGuire. His aggresive playing style & suberb unique sound is the foundation of my favourite song from this album. The song itself is quite demanding and challenging, but it was really fun to play.

• Like 2