Why become a member? ×

Show us your playing videos!

budget bassist

Lockdown video #6492756 or something.

This is a play thru of the song “Nobody” by Winterville. I removed the bass using one of those AI things and then stuck my own poor-man’s version of the bassline on instead. It’s really been done to show off the Ashdown OriginAL pedal because I think it sounds ace, it’s responsive to the dynamics of my (ham-fisted) playing and ultimately sounds (to me) like a valve amp at full tilt.

EDIT: I’m case you care, the bass is my ACG Skelf 32”. Limba body, ash neck, rosewood board. Two reverse P pickups and P retro preamp. For this I just used the neck pickup and set the bass to passive with the tone about 3/4 up.

Enjoy. Or don’t. 😄

Edited by Merton
  • Like 2

Mudvayne - Know Forever bass cover, from the 2000 LD50 album.
My favourite song to play from their first LP! With all the wicked changing riffs & extensive song structure this bass line is hell crazy! Please enjoy watching it as much as I enjoy playing it;]

• Like 1

Love watching these videos. SaimoN the Mudvayne stuff is great - that must have taken quite a while to learn??! Very impressive. Jay2U your videos are next level, do you record in front of a green screen or something?

I've just put another cover up on youtube, Is This Love by Bob Marley & The Wailers. Haven't really got the right hand technique together at all playing up near the fretboard like that - something to work on over lockdown!

Caroline

Edited by Caz
link didn't work
  • Like 6

On 25/01/2021 at 18:50, Jay2U said:

Yes, I do use a green screen. Here's how.  😎

Very simple and to the point. I always find these short YT videos helpful, rather the 1 hour long ones. But, wasn't the screen black and white during silent movies?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SH73 said:

Very simple and to the point. I always find these short YT videos helpful, rather the 1 hour long ones. But, wasn't the screen black and white during silent movies?

Yes, it was, but that changed with the invention of green screens. 😁

• Like 1

Rage Against The Machine - Bombtrack bass cover, from the 1992 Rage Against The Machine self-titled album.
A combination of power and groove in this RATM song! Great bass line by Tim Commerford & fun to play - arranged to brbr deng version a'la Ryan Martinie.
Feel free to share if you liked this bass playthrough!

Edited by SaimoN
  • Like 2

On 14/02/2021 at 11:23, Obra said:

Bass Groove Comparison - Fender & Sandberg, Flats & Rounds...

What a really neat comparison video!

Be an interesting one to put in its own thread and see what folk think.

My own order of preference:

1. (D) Fender P 79 rounds pick [3rd one along in the picture / 4th in the video]

2. (A) Fender P 68 flats pick

3. (C) Fender P 78 flats fingerstyle (but would have killed it on a Motown track!) [the 4th one along in the picture / 3rd in the video]

For me a very long way behind the other three...

4. (B) Sandberg TM4 rounds fingersytle (actually very similar to my former bass, except mine wasn't relic'd) - sounded insipid in comparison to the three Fenders. Guess it's confirmed that 'Berg TM4s are not for me! 

@krispn- we were just having a discussion about J pups getting close to the P bass sound? Well this definitely is not a good example! [PS Obra confirmed below he was using the MM pup not the J pup on the Berg]

@jrixn1

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

@Al Krow Ironically I thought the Sandberg was the type of sound you were always banging on about preferring 😀

Is he using the neck pick up on the Sandberg or both pick ups? It sounds kinda like he’s got both pick ups on and in active mode to me as it has more of that active clanky sound? So not really an ideal comparison if that’s the case. 

I don’t think he’s trying to make the Sandberg sound like a Fender p bass rather contrasting the sounds of his Fender’s to the Sandberg. If he wanted to compare a Fender P to a Sandberg P he’s not really using the correct bass 😉

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1