Why become a member? ×

Show us your playing videos!

budget bassist

On 16/05/2020 at 07:45, Al Krow said:

Hey - welcome to Basschat! What a really good groove  you've got - your drumming roots clearly give you an unfair advantage on that score!

Love that track by the Weekend btw: must admit I was for a long time fooled into thinking it was about the female love of his life and not his mate charlie.

On 16/05/2020 at 09:07, nilebodgers said:

I watched that and some of the other videos and my reaction was “Playing for one year wtf!?!?”, but then I followed the links. A very accomplished jazz drummer and Music college graduate - no wonder it’s good.

Hi, thank you for the warm welcome, I'm looking forward to joining in the community of bass players :) yes I think playing drums probably does help as you get to meet different bass players and ask questions. I was given some advice on 'raking' to get my fingers moving and given Ed Friedland's walking bass lines book to get started. Although it's taking a while to figure out the fretboard, the top half of that is still a mystery! Thanks for checking out the vids, there's another one coming soon (Michael Brecker, really excited about this one).

Cheers,

Caroline

20 minutes ago, Caz said:

Hi, thank you for the warm welcome, I'm looking forward to joining in the community of bass players :) yes I think playing drums probably does help as you get to meet different bass players and ask questions. I was given some advice on 'raking' to get my fingers moving and given Ed Friedland's walking bass lines book to get started. Although it's taking a while to figure out the fretboard, the top half of that is still a mystery! Thanks for checking out the vids, there's another one coming soon (Michael Brecker, really excited about this one).

Cheers,

Caroline

Don’t even consider the top half of the fretboard - past the 7th fret you risk befalling a terrible condition of becoming a guitarist, above the 12th, you actually spontaneously combust.

Stay Low, stay proud

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Don’t even consider the top half of the fretboard - past the 7th fret you risk befalling a terrible condition of becoming a guitarist, above the 12th, you actually spontaneously combust.

Stay Low, stay proud

I'm considering filing down the frets on the top half of the board. Those only cause rattling and buzz.  😂

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

So last night...I was talking To @bassfan and we discussed if the Fender Marcus Miller sounded good with the stock Preamp and Pickups...

I’m going to get shot for this - I made a recording of slap.

I’m also trying to do a lockdown “Happy Birthday” messages video using my phone - so while messing about with what’s what on iMovie...I did this.

I’ve put my flame retardant suit on...

And no, I know I’m really not in the same league as MM - a very vague impersonation.

Just put this in the “I hate slap” thread hahah.

I blame Pinot Grigio - done at about 11.30 last night against all better judgement 

• Haha 1

Wow Chris, nicely done - really enjoyed that. If I could ask a question please.. what kind of bass is that and how do you tune it?? And is that one of the latest Roland electronic kits the drummer is using? Sounds great.

Here's my latest offering, I really love when Michael Brecker's solo kicks in here on this tune A Game of Inches by Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band. Not gonna lie, took me ages to learn this!!

• Like 5

Thanks Caz. Nice playing on your part as well! :) (love Mike Brecker) You have only been playing bass for 11 months? Impressive!

The Bass is a Leduc 6 String Headless Bass, you can find some info here:
http://www.leduc.fr/index.php/basses/solid-body/maurad-basse

I was lucky to find one used. Its super ergonomic and has no deadspots. The long scale makes it a little harder to play but it has and amazing low B (its tuned B E A D G C). 
As far as the drumkid goes....I will have to ask the Drummer for that one 😉

Edited by chrisbass13

The one thing that lockdown has done if anything is it has got me playing bass and recording again for the first time in like 10 or more years. Had good intentions of doing more frequently but at least I’ve got a few up. Some more to come hopefully.

A couple of my favourites:

Incognito-Talkin’ Loud (Randy Hope-Taylor)

Paul Simon-The Boy In The Bubble (Bakithi Kumalo)

Jamming along to Drummer JRose on Instagram in a Paul Jackson Style

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Ceebass said:

I played bass on on this remote collaboration, check it out if you want! There are a couple of other tunes on the Virtual Big Band's socials as well.

Nice work, that's a lot of work to get that over the line... all those videos, all at the right frame rate, all lit well... Nice work all.

I'm suffering trying to get some off the footage from my lot. It's pretty soul destroying to be honest. It comes to something when I can get stuff over the line with a bunch of friends... but not off the actual people that I actually gig regularly with.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mikey D said:

The one thing that lockdown has done if anything is it has got me playing bass and recording again for the first time in like 10 or more years. Had good intentions of doing more frequently but at least I’ve got a few up. Some more to come hopefully.

A couple of my favourites:

Incognito-Talkin’ Loud (Randy Hope-Taylor)

Paul Simon-The Boy In The Bubble (Bakithi Kumalo)

Jamming along to Drummer JRose on Instagram in a Paul Jackson Style

Nice funky groove there mikey on the jamming one ☝️

• Like 1