Why become a member? ×

Show us your playing videos!

budget bassist

It’s a great video and great playing - but it’s not really there I don’t think to compare basses - it’s more showing off tones - it’s a Precision vs a Jazz bass - they sound different in their inherent naked form - you can tell where each one would work best and what with 🤘🏾💪🏾

• Like 1

Thank You all for listening to my video. I'm more than happy to hear that it is interesting to someone.

It's also very interesting how people react different to Fender and Sandberg. You can read the reactions on YouTube comments.

To answer some questions:

@ krispn I played Sandberg in Active mode and used only a humbucker, and I didn't want to make an P sound on it. 

@Cuzzie You are totally right. I should name my video 'Showing off tones', it would suit better then 'Comparison'. 

Also, I changed stock Glock Sandberg 2 band preamp to a 3 band Darkglass Tone Capsule with two mid eq-s. Now I'm able to make solo humbucker sound as close as it can be to a Stingray, by cutting 500Hz, and  boost 2.8kHz, even with humbucker position as it is. That's the sound I was recorded in my video - not at all Pbass sound, but completely different.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Obra said:

Thank You all for listening to my video. I'm more than happy to hear that it is interesting to someone.

It's also very interesting how people react different to Fender and Sandberg. You can read the reactions on YouTube comments.

@ krispn I played Sandberg in Active mode and used only a humbucker, and I didn't want to make an P sound on it. 

@Cuzzie You are totally right. I should name my video 'Showing off tones', it would suit better then 'Comparison'. 

Also, I changed stock Glock Sandberg 2 band preamp to a 3 band Darkglass Tone Capsule with two mid eq-s. Now I'm able to make solo humbucker sound as close as it can be to a Stingray, by cutting 500Hz, and  boost 2.8kHz, even with humbucker position as it is. That's the sound I was recorded in my video - not at all Pbass sound, but completely different.

Thanks for clearing up Obra, I am so glad you kept the Sandberg after what we talked about, it really is looking and sounding brilliant - hope you are well

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Obra said:

Thanks Obra. 
I was just interested to know where the pick up selector was as it didn’t sound like a solo’d neck pick up to my ear. I think @Al Krow was right to distinguish that he preferred the Fender’s as the Sandberg wasn’t even using the neck pick up. 

Edited by krispn
Misuse of p bass pick up meant neck!
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, krispn said:

Thanks Obra. 
I was just interested to know where the pick up selector was as it didn’t sound like a solo’d p bass to my ear. I think @Al Krow was right to distinguish that he preferred the Fender’s as the Sandberg wasn’t even using the p bass pick up. 

Just to clarify the Berg Obra was using is a TM4 i.e. J / Humbucker set up with no P pup.

But I think the point you're making is that Berg wasn't even using the neck J pup which we've been elsewhere discussing whether it can get close-enough to the P bass sound.

40 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Just to clarify the Berg Obra was using is a TM4 i.e. J / Humbucker set up with no P pup.

But I think the point you're making is that Berg wasn't even using the neck J pup which we've been elsewhere discussing whether it can get close-enough to the P bass sound.

Cheers! My apologies I meant neck pick up not P pick up but you know what I meant 😀 I’ll go back and edit it for clarity. It was in reference to your point below...

we were just having a discussion about J pups getting close to the P bass sound? Well this definitely is not a good example!”

I was just picking up on your point where you said that the Sandberg was a not a good example of a J pick up sounding like a p bass pick up. He was evidently using the bridge only in active mode. Possibly explains why is was not a good example.😃

Edited by krispn

30 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

But if you were to use the neck pick up alone - guess what - its a split coil humbucker.

The M pickup is a double split coil humbucker.

and absolutely, dependent on which pick up, a J style/arranged pick up can sound very very close to a P, position aside even in its normal configuration.

If you look at a Sandberg Umbo than that is arguably arranged like a standard P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

But if you were to use the neck pick up alone - guess what - its a split coil humbucker.

The M pickup is a double split coil humbucker.

and absolutely, dependent on which pick up, a J style/arranged pick up can sound very very close to a P, position aside even in its normal configuration.

If you look at a Sandberg Umbo than that is arguably arranged like a standard P

You are absolutely right.

When I use neck pickup alone in passive mode, it sounds so similar to a Pbass. Most of the time I even not need to bring my P bass to a gig. Sandberg covers it all...... (I bring my P Bass anyway, just cause I like them 😊)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Obra said:

When I use neck pickup alone in passive mode, it sounds so similar to a Pbass. Most of the time I even not need to bring my P bass to a gig. Sandberg covers it all...... (I bring my P Bass anyway, just cause I like them 😊)

Would have been great to have had included the Berg neck pup in passive mode on your tone review and compared it to your P basses. Maybe next time eh? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Would have been great to have had included the Berg neck pup in passive mode on your tone review and compared it to your P basses. Maybe next time eh? 

Yes I agree for that one.

Nevertheless I have some videos You describe on my YT channel with Sandberg different sound variations...

35 minutes ago, Obra said:

Something beautiful about a straight up P - no messing about 

Rage Against The Machine - Bullet in the Head bass cover, from the 1992 Rage Against The Machine self-titled album.
Very groovy RATM track! Tim Commerford did a great job with his bass line here - arranged to brbr deng version a'la Ryan Martinie.
Feel free to share if you liked this bass playthrough!

• Like 1

Rage Against The Machine - Know Your Enemy bass cover, from the 1992 Rage Against The Machine self-titled album.
RATM provided a great mix of power and energy in this song! Tim Commerford's riffs are quite awesome (especially the oart where he uses distortion) in this fine piece of music.
Feel free to share if you liked this bass playthrough!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Obra said:

Here is my new one. 

During the video, You can found parts with isolated bass or bass and drums. All the descriptions of gear used are in the text part of the YT video. Would appreciate Your comments on this one.

You already know i love this one - nice work

• Like 1