Why become a member? ×

Best Bass Cleaning Fluid?

bassatnight

[quote name='chris_b' post='609920' date='Sep 27 2009, 11:59 AM']Dunlop 65. It's made for this particular job. I believe silicon in some polishes can affect some paint finishes.[/quote]

Lots of household furniture polish contains silicone, which can soak into exposed wood, and it will stop you refinishing in future, as if forces new finish off, causing fish eyes. It's pretty much the enemy.

Local guitar chap uses autoglym to put a shine back on.

Just cleaned the strange, dull bloom off my re-finished Ripper with mild detergent (washing up liquid). Probably a stupid trick but it worked a treat where polish wouldn't. If you have minor surface scratching (nail or plec hits), then Autoglym is excellent

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='bassatnight' post='609843' date='Sep 27 2009, 09:36 AM']Gents,

Whats the best cleaning fluid for a Bass? I particularly mean the body, want to get that brand new shine back! :)

Steve.[/quote]

non abrasive cleaners
the cleaner the better

normal furniture polish for my shuker

To clean, I use a rag with very hot water squeezed out well. Follow that with a dry rag. Works very well. If you have a really dirty bit and the hot water doesn't work, try saliva, de-ionised water or naptha (lighter fluid).

To polish, any guitar polish is fine. I like the Gibson Hi-Gloss stuff.

[quote name='7string' post='610422' date='Sep 27 2009, 10:54 PM']To clean, I use a rag with very hot water squeezed out well. Follow that with a dry rag. Works very well. If you have a really dirty bit and the hot water doesn't work, try saliva, de-ionised water or [color="#FF0000"]naptha[/color] (lighter fluid).

To polish, any guitar polish is fine. I like the Gibson Hi-Gloss stuff.[/quote]

BOOM!!

:)

Edited by mrcrow

Patrick Eggle's handy tip: 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, used by professionals finishing luxury car bodywork, non-silicone, no residue, excellent shine. You can buy it on ebay, lasts for years
[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3M-Imperial-Hand-Glaze-16oz-Non-Silcone-Non-Wax-CAR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em63Q2el1177QQhashZitem5d25afaf28QQitemZ400064229160QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories"]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3M-Imperial...sQ5fAccessories[/url]