Why become a member? ×

In praise of ....

Clarky

Good grief, where to start (or more specifically where to end).

Pretty much anything Geddy Less does, but just because of it's place in my early years of playing bass, I'll go for the bass line in Xanadu.

School days - Stanley Clarke
Run for cover - Marcus Miller
Tempus Fugit - Chris Squire
Hit my with your rythm stick - Norman Watt Row

And I think a definite special shout out for Bernard Edward's bass on Good times, and bass line that catchy and that heavily used by others must be good :)

This charming man - The Smiths.

Everyone bangs on about the genius of Johnny Marr (and rightly so) but Andy Rourke's bass in this track is jaw dropping. In isolation you'd never believe it was the same song. the main riff is almost jazz and the double stops in the bridge section - mmmmmmm. Lovely.

How about The Police, almost all their stuff is driven by Stings bass lines... hard to pick one song but I always thought Spirits in the Material World had a very clever bass line.... also how about Paul Simons Graceland album with Baghiti Kumulo on that glorious fretless... again hard to pick one, You can call me Al was the big bass driven hit, but I always fancied Diamonds on the Soles of her shoes... gorgeous bit of bass playing that totally drives that song along!!!

Wow, so many to chose from. Here's a random selection (from looking at the "Most Recently Played" section of my iTunes: -

Rescue Me - Fontella Bass
Son of a Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield
Bernadette - Four Tops
Eton Rifles / Funeral Pyre / Tubestation / Malice - The Jam (in fact, pretty much any Jam song!)
Substitute / Won't Get Fooled Again / The Real Me - The Who
La Femme d'Argent - Air
Barbarism Begins At Home - Smiths
Bed's Too Big Without You - Police

Mark.

[quote name='witterth' post='608935' date='Sep 26 2009, 12:47 AM']Allthough I wouldn't consider myself simply red fan
"Somethin' got me started-give it all up for you"
really floats my boat when It comes to bass lines.
drop D and "nice" slappy bits.

oh yeah that reminds me (could be unpopular choice, no doubt.. "love and pride"- king I think the bass man was called Tony Waller(?), all his stuff...respec...)

And dont get me started on Nick Beggs....ace on the Bass and also with ABC," look of love" bass lines that Nick Beggs "nails" when covering for those 80's tribute turns[/quote]

nick beggs is a legend, seeing him Thursday with Kajagoogoo