Why become a member? ×

BFM omni10.5s

nedsbeds

Hi Chopthebass,
I think I can answer that one, as I've just been asking the same question.

Nedsbeds got his grille as an offcut from David_I_Perry (who hasn't got any more offcuts going spare right now) - and David gets it from a big international company called Penn Fabrication. Here's their URL: [url="http://www.penn-elcom.com"]www.penn-elcom.com[/url]

And their UK address:
PENN FABRICATION LTD
3 ELSWICK RD
DISTRICT 2
WASHINGTON
TYNE & WEAR
NE37 1LH

TEL: 0191 416 1717
FAX: 0191 419 3715

E-MAIL: [email protected]

They appear to do the black grille in two sizes:
555mm x 388mm (21.85inches x 15.25inches) - stock code G1592
and
660mm x 466mm (26inches x 18.35inches) - stock code G1593

I've already sent them an email enquiring about the cost of these sheets. I suspect that ordering a single sheet will work out expensive because of carriage charges, so let's keep in touch on this and if we both want to order some, maybe we could do it in one order and save some dosh, eh?

Ken

Edited by Oxblood

Yep that is correct.
There was a guy on ebay selling grill material who I was going to buy from before I found out Dave had some spare.
He doesn't have any on ebay at the moment but may have some anyway.
His username is itsmarkie and he was fairly cheap. He said he could cut to size too although a jigsaw with a metal blade is very effective.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

It's a nice day outside so I have finally got round to taking some pictures of my completed bass rig.

The second 10.5 has been completed for a few weeks now and I managed to do it in less than half the time of the first. I was also a lot more accurate with the cuts (apart from the grill that I managed to measure an inch too short! luckily I had just enough spare to redo it)

I haven't had a chance to gig them both yet because the guy I play with got quite ill. But I'm hoping it won't be long before I gig them.

The two cabs together are really a marvel. They are so clear, and handle the low B on my Warwick streamer really well.
Recorded music also sounds great through them. Again, clarity is the immediate thing that springs to mind.

Thanks Bill for such great designs!
If anybody wants a great value, quick and easy build, that sounds great for bass guitar and doesn't break your back....These are highly recommended :)

And the pics....
Here they are in the garden with my amp on top.
It is a little mark 250 and a behringer autocom pro in a warwick rack bag

Detail of the back. The handles are really nice to carry the cabs with and make them very easy to haul around. I can even pick them up in one hand. Rack over my shoulder, two cabs in each hand, jobs a good'n!

I'm kind of running out of space in my room to put things so I'm just stacking everything up at the moment. There is also an ashdown 1x15 cab on the other side of the room. It felt odd with the stack being any higher!

And here is a larger picture of the whole lot.

Thanks

Nick

Beautiful job sir, if you have a middle initial going spare, you could get yourself on Bill's list of providers! In fact, if you ever feel like making cabs for others, let me know. :) I must try to hear these for real some time. I hope you bring them to the next bassbash!

Wow Kiwi! that's put a smile on my face hehe.
Shall certainly have a think about doing some more.

Chris, These have beta 10s in. So that makes each one a 250w, 8 ohm cab.
I shall try and get the scales out a bit later. I'm interested too! But, you can certainly carry one in each hand with not too much trouble.

btw, just had to explain what a bassbash is to my girlfriend. Had to liken it to a swingers party for bassists :)

Cheers, Nick

i really want to make some now! you say they handle a low B well? I really want to try and Omni 15 tall boy but I am going to be living in a flat without a car so O10.5 would make a nice transportable setup.
Now i need to blag workshop time at uni or persuade my new flat mate i can use the living room to build some cabs.
outta interest what tools did you need for this job?

[quote name='d-basser' post='57474' date='Sep 8 2007, 06:51 PM']outta interest what tools did you need for this job?[/quote]

I did mine with a circular saw, jig saw and a battery screwdriver/drill. A framing square (big right angle thing with dimensions - £7 from screwfix), countersink. That's about it.
A table saw is a useful replacement for the circular saw and 2 batt screwdrivers saves on bit changing. But these aren't necessary.
max

well I used a circular saw, jigsaw, 2 battery drills, rasp, lots of clamps, orbital sander, a few workmates and a router.
The other thing that came in handy were my earplugs! The router and jigsaw with metal blade in were deafening.

I really wouldn't recommend using a circular saw and especially not a router in your flat tbh. You can try, but everything gets covered in a very fine dust. I did most of mine outside and its amazing how soon everything is covered in sawdust.
Once the panels are cut though, you could easily do it inside.

I hope this does inspire some people to give it a go! It's great fun and a really cheap way to get some superb cabinets.

D-basser, the two cabs together would handle a 5 string at a gig volume I reckon (within reason). You just have to remember it isn't magic and they are only 1x10 cabinets, but I haven't heard it fart or bottom out yet. I'm not playing in a loud band at the moment though...

Nick

thanks for the reply, may give these a bash at some point, as you say I can do messy stuff outside or I may just try and blag some space at uni (am doing a design engineering course) I may even be able to get help building from one of the lab techs.
Bottom end wise i think i may try these then if in the future I really need added low end or get a car i could try a T39. O15TB still looks awesome though.

Hi Nick
Congrats on a grand job you have made on these cabs, if i hadn't seen this build diary
i would have sworn that was proffessionally made speaker cabs on your final pics.

Hopefully when the next midlands bass bash is arranged which was in the worcs/ hereford area,
you could hopefully attend & bring your rig.

I'm sure we love to hear these in action :) .

Out of respect to Bill, its worth bearing in mind his arrangements over the licensing of these cab designs. If you want a set of cabs, you need to buy the plans from him regardless of whether you're doing the work yourself or not.

If you want to use an "Approved Builder" that's up to you, but there's no monopoly on good workmanship as far as I'm aware and its perfectly acceptable for anyone to make them on your behalf so long as they're using the plans you've bought from Bill.

Having recently taken delivery of a pair of BFM Omni10.5 Crossfire cabs from Thumper, I can report that I am a very happy and satisfied customer. Their performance exceeds even my best hopes, and the build quality, attention to detail and standard of finish of the cabs is excellent. Indeed, to quote the reaction of Bill Fitzmaurice himself:

[i]"The build quality looks every bit as good as Eden on the exterior, and undoubtably it's a fair sight better inside where it counts."[/i]

Throughout the build process, I was consulted regularly and kept fully informed as to progress, and from start to finish all dealings were transacted in a thoroughly open, honest, friendly and businesslike manner - none of which came as any surprise to me, as such conduct is entirely typical of the man I know and respect.

[quote name='Oxblood' post='64426' date='Sep 23 2007, 05:53 PM']Having recently taken delivery of a pair of BFM Omni10.5.....[/quote]

[quote name='finnbass' post='64448' date='Sep 23 2007, 07:19 PM']The only way to go ........" class="ipsImage" />[/quote]

I think you got the wrong thread guys...

[quote name='nedsbeds' post='64456' date='Sep 23 2007, 07:33 PM']I think you got the wrong thread guys...[/quote]

No, it got derailed when CK suggested someone build BFM cabs, I then suggested Thumper, CK then cast aspersions on his competency, and then Thumper's customers provided some positive feedback to the contrary.

The flow of the tread has since been broken by the deleting of Thumper's comments (I don't know by which of them).