Why become a member? ×

Alembic F-2B

tayste_2000

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='606236' date='Sep 22 2009, 10:58 PM']I didn't really like my Trace V6, I found the eq less useful than the Mesa[/quote]

You might find the Alembic not so useful either as it's the same passive tone stack in that too.

[quote name='dood' post='606217' date='Sep 22 2009, 09:43 PM']I'd urge you to see if you can find a Trace V-Type preamp. The schematic is very similar - but I actially think the Trace is a better design - and has an effects loop ;o)[/quote]

I love those trace pre amps. i miss my combo. i wouldn't mind finding the schematics and making one

But so is the Mesa, it's so odd same idea built by different people, totally different functionallity.

TBH it might be the power section of the Trace I didn't like, I wouldn't mind trying the V-Type pre into a Strategy or 2, if someone has one for me to try.

I'd be interested to try the ISP one you use you got it from some company near Manchester right?

Edited by tayste_2000

[quote name='dood' post='606217' date='Sep 22 2009, 10:43 PM']I'd urge you to see if you can find a Trace V-Type preamp. The schematic is very similar - but I actially think the Trace is a better design - and has an effects loop ;o)[/quote]

Sorry to differ but the Trace is the same as the Alembic F1X and BBE BMAX-T. F2B is different design.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='606256' date='Sep 22 2009, 11:11 PM']F-2B is a dual F1X isn't it with a few less switches, like a more basic but dual version?[/quote]

Not at all. Different animal. In the F2B both stages give gain with the tone stack between them. The F1X has a cathode follower first stage to give a low impedance drive to the effects loop. All the gain is in the second stage with the tone stack following. Then there is a solid state output driver, transformer DI and crossover for bi-amping. When I owned one I took it apart and sketched the schematic.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='606630' date='Sep 23 2009, 01:17 PM']What preamps have you got lying around these days, want to loan me any :)

I'll return them I promise *ninja*[/quote]

Sadly I have none these days Steve. If I did have any you would be very welcome to try them. All I have are 3 solid-state heads, an Orange AD200 and three project valve amps.

I went through a whole load of pre-amps when I was gigging intensively a few years ago finally settling on an Alembic F1X. With a 5751 instead of the 12AX7 it was beautifully smooth howver the weight of it togther with a QSC and tuner, all in a flight-case was too much weight.

Mr Foxen was right - I've got an old one and I'll happily sings its praises till your eyes glaze over. But it isn't for everyone - the "fender" tone stack does take time to use well. Mines got 5751's in it so its as clean as a clean thing. Makes everything sound yummy. Sorry if that's a bit technical.

I got mine pretty cheap (it looks like its had a good kicking) just because it was two channel and I was doubling a lot on EUB/BG. Then I realised how good it was and asked Alembic for a new transformer - they ignored me for a year or two, then sent one for about £40 with wiring plans from Ron Wickersham. Not bad for a bit of gear that's probably 30 years old.

The bright switches are hopelessly bright (designed before tweeters in cabs). No effects loop or DI, but run it into a half good passive DI and its luuvveeerrly.

I'll shut up now

BB

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='606630' date='Sep 23 2009, 01:17 PM']What preamps have you got lying around these days, want to loan me any :)

I'll return them I promise *ninja*[/quote]

Same question @ Owen :rolleyes:

Thanks Obbm, if I end up getting a Demeter preamp I'll be intouch for an XLR that doesn't let it get fried by phantom.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='606708' date='Sep 23 2009, 03:04 PM']Any chance of a scan of that?[/quote]

I've found the front end schematic up to the point where if goes to the DI and the crossover. I'm not sure that I ever did the rest and certainly not the power supply, they are so boring. I'll email you what I have if you pm me your email addy.

I can't remember which version I tried, but briefly I did play through one several yeas ago. Best I could describe was a cross between the SWR Grand Prix (super clean and a bit "too honest") and the alembic (big warm and lovely..but still sounds like what you plug into it, but a bit better).

Sorry if that isn't much help, but it was a long time ago.

[quote name='obbm' post='606251' date='Sep 22 2009, 11:09 PM']Sorry to differ but the Trace is the same as the Alembic F1X and BBE BMAX-T. F2B is different design.[/quote]

Ah!! Thanks Dave!! I got the two mixed up didnt i!

[quote name='nash' post='606247' date='Sep 22 2009, 11:07 PM']I love those trace pre amps. i miss my combo.[/quote]

I'm giving it its first gig in my uncapable hands this weekend.

Its easy to slip out the combo if anyone wants pics, I did it when i bought it to see if it needed a a clean but was spotless inside.

[quote name='obbm' post='606251' date='Sep 22 2009, 11:09 PM']Sorry to differ but the Trace is the same as the Alembic F1X and BBE BMAX-T. F2B is different design.[/quote]

Not really, they are based on the Showman circuit but they are not the same. The Trace has a different tone circuit to the F-1X. The F-2B channel is closer to the showman.

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='607235' date='Sep 23 2009, 11:17 PM']Not really, they are based on the Showman circuit but they are not the same. The Trace has a different tone circuit to the F-1X. The F-2B channel is closer to the showman.[/quote]

OK there are some minor component differences but the basic circuits are still the same.