Why become a member? ×

Paul Ryder Happy Mondays

Bass_In_Yer_Face

+1 : massively underrated IMO.
'24 Hour Party' people is one favourite basslines ever.

Paul's now living in the States has a great new band 'Big Arm' , happy, sober & drug free by all accounts.

his old bass, that was used on the Monday's first two albums. It's been on Top of the Pops, videos & several times round the World back in the day. If only it could talk, bet it would have some 'interesting' stories to tell :)

Edited by nick
  • Like 2

[quote name='nick' post='607211' date='Sep 23 2009, 10:49 PM']+1 : massively underrated IMO.

Paul's now living in the States has a great new band 'Big Arm' , happy, sober & drug free by all accounts.

Feel I'm pretty privileged & lucky to own his old bass, that was used on the Monday's first two albums. It's been on Top of the Pops, videos & several times round the World back in the day. If only it could talk, bet it would have some 'interesting' stories to tell :)

[/quote]

Lovely bass that! Don't sell it, if you ever do though, pm me!

Did a gig with the Mondays at the Adelphi in Hull in the early 80s- they were quite scary then- didnt have an idea and were obviously off their heads on "special" substances- didnt have any bass gear and wanted to use mine ( which I refused ) so another band had to step in to lend them some gear. They didnt go down well but later got their act together to make some superb records.

Still remember that night.................

Cheers

Bob

[quote name='nick' post='607211' date='Sep 23 2009, 10:49 PM']+1 : massively underrated IMO.

Feel I'm pretty privileged & lucky to own his old bass, that was used on the Monday's first two albums. It's been on Top of the Pops, videos & several times round the World back in the day. If only it could talk, bet it would have some 'interesting' stories to tell :)

[/quote]Ya kept that quiet didn't ya. :rolleyes:
Did you have it when you played with Scorpio?

Kuff Dam off that album is fantastic. Tart Tart too. Indeed there is brilliantly funky playing on the whole album.

I was goin go to say I once played one of Paul Ryder's old basses, owned by a guy called Nick..., and there you are!

Nick, remember Macfarlane Road in Shepherds Bush? You were in a band with Keith?

Mike

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='608830' date='Sep 25 2009, 11:10 PM']Lovely bass that! Don't sell it, if you ever do though, pm me![/quote]

Thanks. Not thinking of selling it at the moment. Had some interest in it a while back from Manchester Hard Rock Cafe & few Mondays collectors, but never followed any up.
As well as being a nice bass, guess I'm quite sentimentally attached to it. Bought it in '93, at the time there was a lot of their gear for sale on the Manchester market.
If I do ever need to sell it, afraid you'd have to go second in line anyway, as Mr. Ryder would like it back! :)

Here it is in action, any excuse to post a Mondays song :lol:

[quote name='steve-soar' post='609446' date='Sep 26 2009, 06:31 PM']Ya kept that quiet didn't ya. :lol:
Did you have it when you played with Scorpio?[/quote]

Yeah, it was my only bass back then, always used to get nice compliments on it from Dave (Soundman). Remember when we did some demos with Steve Osborne, as soon as I got out of the case, he was '...oh no, not again' with a look of horror on his face :rolleyes: We coincidentally ended up with same management as Shaun Ryder too before it all came to an end.

[quote name='mike f' post='609455' date='Sep 26 2009, 06:43 PM']I was goin go to say I once played one of Paul Ryder's old basses, owned by a guy called Nick..., and there you are!

Nick, remember Macfarlane Road in Shepherds Bush? You were in a band with Keith?
Mike[/quote]

Hi Mike, how's it going?
Yeah, that's me - small (internet) world! Was with George & Jules, who incidentally is on Never Mind the Buzzcocks next week :lol:
Good to hear from you, hope you're well. That must have been mid 90's(?) - I have some hazy recollections of that time! :lol:
Remember yourself, didn't you play a lovely white jazz bass(?) Very well too if I recall.

Cheers

Edited by nick

Hello Nick,

Hazy days indeed!

That's very nice of you to say so about my playing, cheers man. It was about 1996. I remember being in awe of one of your recorded basslines that I heard then. Bet I still can't play it!

I still have that very 1973 Jazz Bass; gigged it loads since then, all over the place.

Anyhoo, back to the thread (ahem). I do recall listening to Squirrel and G-Man, on me Walkman, thinking "that's how I'd like to play bass". And it is, like you said, massively underrated. It was quite an inspiration at the time.

Mike

• 11 years later...

Does anyone know how to play the Baselines from the Squirrel 🐿️ and G man Album or how I could find Tab or what Scales he uses ? Would really love to play some of his Baselines 👌✌️

Edited by K.Mac

On 26/09/2009 at 14:00, thumperbob 2002 said:

Did a gig with the Mondays at the Adelphi in Hull in the early 80s- they were quite scary then- didnt have an idea and were obviously off their heads on "special" substances- didnt have any bass gear and wanted to use mine ( which I refused ) so another band had to step in to lend them some gear. They didnt go down well but later got their act together to make some superb records.

Still remember that night.................

Cheers

Bob

Ah, The Adelphi, brings back some find memories that does.

I used to be into the Mondays in my younger days along with much of the Madchester scene. I went to see(technically correct, if it wasn't for the size of the venue and were I was) them in the Midlands in the 90s. I used to have a pills thrills n bellyache poster on my wall. They were always a lot more funky than the other more rock based Madchester scene, and may have been the reason why they were among my faves.

On 26/09/2009 at 14:00, thumperbob 2002 said:

Did a gig with the Mondays at the Adelphi in Hull in the early 80s

Almost literally down the road from there in the Newland Av area, there lived(at least while they were drinking) that guy from the Beautiful South on Grafton St.

Edited by TheLowDown

36 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Ridiculous that people know who Bez is but not the drummer or bass player...

If he had a bass in the shape of a flower, things may have been different.

Bez was a curiosity as there weren't many bands with front stage maracas. Perhaps more people remember them for Bez than they do Shaun Ryder.

Edited by TheLowDown
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Ridiculous that people know who Bez is but not the drummer or bass player...

My last gig pre-Covid, was The Happy Monday's at the O2 in Glasgow in October 2019...I'm the gypsy's kissed one in the photo...😂😂

Edit: Don't need to be seeing my drunk coupon on here...!

Edited by lou24d53

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...