Why become a member? ×

ZOOT cabs anyone use them? Worth it?

pal1972

[quote name='pal1972' post='603892' date='Sep 20 2009, 08:10 PM']Just curious, looking at the specs on these things they look to be great, ive just looked at their 2x15 cab, which i really like the look of, but ive never heard a one. Anyone used their cabs? recommend them?? what's their sound like? reliability??[/quote]

Do a quick search and you'll find these were discussed at length a year or so ago. The 1x12 cab was featured in a Bassist mag shootout along with Bergantino/Aguilar etc. iirc it did well.

'Quite' similar in spec to the Tech Soundsystem/Tecamp cabs but cheaper! :)

[quote name='pal1972' post='604039' date='Sep 20 2009, 10:17 PM']I like the look of the 2x15 but just wanted to get some feedback on these to help make my mind up![/quote]

Id definitely look at every single option before laying out the cash. Ive never tried Zoot cabs, and they might be great. Id try everything you can and weigh up what you require out of them.

:)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='603996' date='Sep 20 2009, 09:49 PM']I believe that Zoot cabs have gone through a recent transformation in terms of who actually makes them and how.

I've heard that the original one's were less than reliable. Any owners like to comment?[/quote]
Hi Peter,
I haven't had any problems with mine and have added a 1x15 Compact as well which is awesome.
Been using them for over 18months and have no desire to change them. My 112's didn't have Neo's installed, I specified Eminence Delta's which are 500W RMS rated.
Just to clear matters up. There were a lot of problems getting hold of Mike and a lot of misinformation when he sold The Bass Merchant to Darren. He, by his own admission, was very lax with sorting the web-site and contact details out. All is now well and a new web-site is under construction.
The cabs are still made by Mike but the transformation is a re-branding to "Purple Chili". This is to line the Cabs, (and possibly an amp range), with his guitar range.
This is what they look like. Even nicer in the flesh.
[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/82740"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/82740[/url]
The Zoot name will then apply only to the Basses.
Hope that helps.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='604390' date='Sep 21 2009, 12:03 PM']The cabs are still made by Mike but the transformation is a re-branding to "Purple Chili". This is to line the Cabs, (and possibly an amp range), with his guitar range.
This is what they look like. Even nicer in the flesh.
[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/82740"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/82740[/url][/quote]

Oh my. They look, Well, they look awful! :)

I'm no Gok, but purple and red just doesnt go! And the badge looks like a clip-art. I hope they sound good!

Those have to be some of the ugliest cabs about. I'm all for brand identity and trying something different, but I'd suggest that looks like that will alienate more than they attract, especially the clipart-esque logo.

They might sound marvelous, however, but it's an uphill struggle to convince if the aesthetics are dodgy.

Cheers,
James

I guess if we all liked the look and sound of the same Basses, Amps and Cabs, there would only be 1 range of each.
At least that would be an end to GAS as there wouldn't be the choice.
Each to his own I guess.
They started off as Guitar Cabs and have gone down a storm in the US, it remains to be seen if the look will work as well on the Bass Cabs.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='604504' date='Sep 21 2009, 01:34 PM']I guess if we all liked the look and sound of the same Basses, Amps and Cabs, there would only be 1 range of each.
At least that would be an end to GAS as there wouldn't be the choice.
Each to his own I guess.
They started off as Guitar Cabs and have gone down a storm in the US, it remains to be seen if the look will work as well on the Bass Cabs.[/quote]

I actually like the look of them......but I am a little odd :)

It still astounds me that your Zoot cabs didnt even have neo drivers, and they still had to be held for fear of floating off into the sky..... :rolleyes:

Astoundingly light cabs

Edited by david_l_perry