Why become a member? ×

S5 love

bubinga5

Ok im a jazz bass man, but lately ive been playing alot of soul funk, and if found that the stingray 5 is just amazing for this stuff...the music calls for alot of damping, and just a groove.. but when i lay off the damping, the Stingray just gives me an amazing growl...

i have always thought(if you like the S5 tone) that the S5 is the best production 5 string available today..way better than any Sadowsky or high end bass... the single humbucker is soooo cool to hear...i really think that a S5 is as good as an Alleva C, a Fodera.. the tone is superb, with such a character...

anyone who hasnt played a S5 needs to play/hear one...seriously good bass..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='603304' date='Sep 20 2009, 03:39 AM']Ok im a jazz bass man, but lately ive been playing alot of soul funk, and if found that the stingray 5 is just amazing for this stuff...the music calls for alot of damping, and just a groove.. but when i lay off the damping, the Stingray just gives me an amazing growl...

i have always thought(if you like the S5 tone) that the S5 is the best production 5 string available today..way better than any Sadowsky or high end bass... the single humbucker is soooo cool to hear...i really think that a S5 is as good as an Alleva C, a Fodera.. the tone is superb, with such a character...

anyone who hasnt played a S5 needs to play/hear one...seriously good bass..[/quote]

As a matter of interest... do you think an SR5 makes a better instrument than the SR4? There is someone I know who has a HS one and that sounds great but they haven't filtered down to the second-hand misery market yet.

I now seem to be a full-time 5 player (again) and by S4 is collecting dust!

Soon got tired of the SR sound and I am not generally a fan of Humbuckers .. I use to run mine with everything down... Great bass to play but the sound was a bit too full-on

I always thought I'd love a SR5 as my backup/workhorse but now I no longer hanker after one....

I think I'll go custom again...

I love mine, I always wanted one since I started playing.
After listening to, adoring and seeing Chili Peppers, Skunk Anansie, Reef live loads of times I wanted one even more.
I played a few before i bought one which just fuelled the fire to get one.
When i could first afford one about ten years ago, and I eventually got one I was over the moon.
It's my main bass and I love it and has never let me down (dammit, touch wood!)

I appreciate it's not for every style of music or for every player, but it's horses for courses.

Besides, if we all got on and had the same opinion, then just how imagine how dull it'd be without all of the arguing and bickering about pointless things!! :)

I've been playing SR5s for the last 11 years. My current one was acquired in 2003, was fitted with Status neck and a Nordstrand in 2005 and despite trying other basses it is the one I always come back to, in fact it is my only 5-string now and consequently is used all the time. Incredibly clean and precise but dirty if you dig in. Rarely, if ever goes out of tune.

I was sorely tempted to get a Sterling 5 HS but opted to go down the custom route for my next 5-string. Only another 10-months to wait. :)

I've had a few over the years. Keep getting drawn back to them. Last one I had was an HH and had a great slap tone with all coils selected.

Never liked the pickguards on them or the bevelled edges though - why oh why couldn't they just make the 5 look klike the 4?. Sterling 5 HS for me if I go back to a Musicman.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='604195' date='Sep 21 2009, 06:51 AM']Every Ray ive played (owned 3, played 8 others) has had the weak G string disease!!

whats that all about?[/quote]

Fo years I used 40-120 gauge strings and even with the Nordstrand the G was slightly weak, then I changed to 45-125 and now it's fine.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='604195' date='Sep 21 2009, 06:51 AM']Every Ray ive played (owned 3, played 8 others) has had the weak G string disease!!

whats that all about?[/quote]

Having been the previous owner of this SR5 - no it didn't have the dreaded weak G disease. My SR4 does have a touch but not enough to cause grief on a gig - but fortunately no obvious deadspots (which my SR4 1990 did have). I wouldn't use one for recording - graphite all the way there :)

Soundwise the SR5 was a lot 'mellower' than my SR4 even tho both were strung with Slinkies. I can see why B likes it - it had a very infectious sound, like him, I've tried Sados (NYC and Metros) and I preferred the SR5. As already said - 'horses for courses'.

I've played various SR4's and SR5's and have always liked both the sound and the amazing feel of their necks. I've never owned an actual SR (only an EBMM Silhouette Special guitar, none of their basses) as my Ibanez ATK's fulfilled all my needs for an SR-type tone. But in a month time, I'll be the lucky owner of a beautiful Orange Sparkle Burst SR5 which was on eBay this weekend but has now been removed for me. I'll pick it up when the seller has a gig in the Netherlands, next month. Can't wait :)