Why become a member? ×

US college gigs .. want one?

OldGit

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='602832' date='Sep 19 2009, 12:03 PM']I'd love to play the US! Sadly I can think of a million excuses why I can't drop everything and go on tour abroad. :)

Still if they are genuine it's a great opportunity. I don't doubt I'll get to play a show in the US at some point in my life[/quote]

We've played L.A. ... That's Long Ashton, near Bristol :rolleyes:

[quote name='The Funk' post='603054' date='Sep 19 2009, 06:28 PM']Really? :lol:

I knew I was in the wrong game! :)[/quote]

Sure, if your band is good enough to play US colleges, ie you have the skill attitude and show, (and hats :rolleyes: ) you're probably a very good function band here. £100 per person plus £100 for the band kitty is "normal rates" for that. So it may be a couple of weddings for your band...

[quote name='OldGit' post='602836' date='Sep 19 2009, 12:12 PM']We've played L.A. ... That's Long Ashton, near Bristol :)[/quote]
Yeah , I've played in California - that's California Sands near Yarmouth .
I've also played in the West End - that's the West End pub in Feltwell Norfolk (was renamed later as The Bell , and soon became known as both names - The Bell End)

[quote name='E sharp' post='603958' date='Sep 20 2009, 09:17 PM']Yeah , I've played in California - that's California Sands near Yarmouth .
I've also played in the West End - that's the West End pub in Feltwell Norfolk (was renamed later as The Bell , and soon became known as both names - The Bell End)[/quote]
Totally off topic, but you just reminded me of an old tour pic...

Apparently that sign gets stolen quite a lot.

Dream on! I don't believe this!

How do they deal with the US musicians union and the relevant government departments? You can't just turn up and work in the US, no matter how much you paid them to enter the selection process! This is just another way to separate the foolish from their cash!!

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='604191' date='Sep 21 2009, 03:07 AM']I don't think wedding bands would work terribly well on the USA college circuit tbh.[/quote]
+1... different kettle'o'fish altogether, I think..

Also, add me to the 'cynical' pile. Work permits, travel expenses, accomodation, gear rental... it's not that simple.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='604191' date='Sep 21 2009, 03:07 AM']I don't think wedding bands would work terribly well on the USA college circuit tbh.[/quote]

Sure.
I didn't mean that you should take your wedding gigs show.
However if you don't have a top level show to go with whatever genre music you are playing then you'll not do well in the US. Especially in these big audience gigs.

That was my rather badly put point.