Why become a member? ×

Confess - which 'theoretically' simple songs do you mess up?

thepurpleblob

I was thinking - there's a few songs that despite quite a lot of effort I have never been able to play right through without messing up. The received wisdom is that they should be easy enough. Here's a couple of mine..

* Town Called Malice - main riff utterly beyond me
* Gangsters - inevitably fluff getting out of the octaves run
* Sex on Fire - well we've talked about that :)

Anybody else want to confess? :rolleyes:

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='beerdragon' post='602727' date='Sep 19 2009, 09:39 AM']Use somebody by KOL. I just cant get the timing right at the beginning, the drummer does this funny beat and i usually find myself watching the guitarist to see when he's going to change.[/quote]

KOL have a lot to answer for. Someone told me that they can't play their own songs live either :)

[quote name='ezbass' post='602729' date='Sep 19 2009, 09:42 AM']Walk Of Life, probably because I dislike it and it doesn't hold my interest. How many country music bass players does it take to change a lightbulb? One, Five, One, Five.........[/quote]

I briefly did some rehearsals with a Johnny Cash tribute band and despite my initial thoughts that stuff it quite hard to get nailed down and get the right 'feel'. Still mind numbingly dull though - (sorry JC fans!)

Edited by thepurpleblob

Signed Sealed Delivered. Usually I'm fine with it and I know that I'm more than competant to play the line but sometimes when somethings distracted me on the gig I totally mess up the break down! It's one of the easiest things I know for goodness sake! The drummer will look at me as if to say "what the hell are you playing mate?!" and I'll just shake my head as if to say "I have no idea!"

[quote name='chris_b' post='602743' date='Sep 19 2009, 10:05 AM']Most players "mess up" simple songs because they're thinking about the notes and don't get the groove/feel right. Hence all the bass players that don't like 1,5,1,5 numbers, also I've never heard anyone cover Superstition properly.[/quote]

Although I have a problem with Walk Of Life, I'm absolutely OK with Lay Down Sally, possibly because I'm singing backing on it and don't think it's a cheesy as WOL. Superstition is one of my favourites in our set, as is I Wish.

On behalf of all Johnny Cash fans & country bass players, I'd just like to say listen to some bluegrass players. All the top Nashville bass players are actually serious virtuosos when you see them in soundchecks or just messing around! The PurpleBlob is right - deceptively simple sometimes!?

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='602815' date='Sep 19 2009, 11:49 AM']On behalf of all Johnny Cash fans & country bass players, I'd just like to say listen to some bluegrass players. All the top Nashville bass players are actually serious virtuosos when you see them in soundchecks or just messing around! The PurpleBlob is right - deceptively simple sometimes!?[/quote]
+1 on this.

Even when it's 1/5 there's a groove to be grabbed.

[quote name='martthebass' post='603148' date='Sep 19 2009, 08:58 PM']Stuck in the Middle:

For some reason I always want to go back to G in the D to A bridge part.................numpty.[/quote]

I haven't played that in ages, but I do remember it requiring slightly more skill than I had at the time (and probably do now too!)

[quote name='chris_b' post='602743' date='Sep 19 2009, 10:05 AM']Most players "mess up" simple songs because they're thinking about the notes and don't get the groove/feel right. Hence all the bass players that don't like 1,5,1,5 numbers, also I've never heard anyone cover Superstition properly.[/quote]

I know what you mean about Superstition, bassists usually follow the clav instead of grooving out on a beefy Eb with the occasional chromatic run.

I guff up on Fleetwood Macs' Need Your Love So Bad. I always forget the bridge...But it's only music so no big deal :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='603099' date='Sep 19 2009, 07:56 PM']For a while I kept forgetting that the second and third verses weren't separated by a chorus in 'Valerie'. The embarrassment was enough motivation to get it sorted though.[/quote]

I still do this one time out of three.

I normally mess up because I get distracted by a good looking dancer in the audience. Last night I messed up Get Ready by the Temptations, not the world's most challenging bassline by any means.