Why become a member? ×

Ashdown superfly

BassBalls

[quote name='Funkydunc' post='5177' date='May 23 2007, 04:16 PM']At the mo am going through a MAG 410. Volume was loud enough at a loud reheasal and we have good foh at gigs. I am however in the process of building a couple of BFD omni 10.5's which will give me two 8 ohm 1x10 250W cabs

D[/quote]

Dont you mean 4 ohm? You will need 4ohm load each channel to get full capability IIRC.

Are these like a hifi amp?

If they're quoted as 2x250 into 4 ohms, they'll be 2x125 (ish) into an 8 ohm speaker?

Is the 2 x 250 so it can be connected into 2 cabs? If yes, can it be bridged for single cab use?

Or are most bass speakers 4ohm and I'm talking crap?

Edited by mhuk

[quote name='neilb' post='5411' date='May 23 2007, 11:23 PM']Yes, each "amp" needs a 4 ohm load to work at full power.
Cant be bridged.[/quote]

Yeah and I think that's the reason why no-one bought them! You need two cabinets to squeeze what isn't even that great an output, which then raises the issue of 'what's the point in having a lightweight head if you need to lug around two cabinets to get a reasonable volume out of it?'

I think there's a 1000 watt version of it now though?

[quote name='neilb' post='5255' date='May 23 2007, 06:29 PM']Dont you mean 4 ohm? You will need 4ohm load each channel to get full capability IIRC.[/quote]
No and yes !! :) The cabs will be 8 ohms (not sure that suitable 10" drivers are available as 4 ohm) so yes full power isnt available. It will be more like a total of 300W. This should be loud enough though the BFD cabs are typically 3db more sensitive anyway!

D

[quote name='Waldo' post='5441' date='May 23 2007, 10:58 PM']'what's the point in having a lightweight head if you need to lug around two cabinets to get a reasonable volume out of it?'[/quote]

No lugging 'round these parts!! :)

D.

hmmm yeah must admit that i keep being tempted by these - theres a couple of places selling em on the bay for £269 which is a pretty good price, but yeah the 250 watts/4ohms a side thing puts me off as i've only got 2x 8ohm cabs....(well..and a single 4 ohm too). the 1000 watt one would be more tempting but not seen them at el cheapo price anywhere ..as yet

peace

c

MB1. :)

Ashdown have discontinued the superfly 500 and sound control have bought all there stock.this is why they can offer them at £199.as far as ive been able to find out ashdown will be doing a 1000 superfly and this will be taking the place of the old one.you wont be seeing the new 1000 for £199 though.

MB1.

[quote name='Funkydunc' post='5446' date='May 23 2007, 11:00 PM']No and yes !! :) The cabs will be 8 ohms (not sure that suitable 10" drivers are available as 4 ohm) so yes full power isnt available. It will be more like a total of 300W. This should be loud enough though the BFD cabs are typically 3db more sensitive anyway!

D[/quote]

If the drivers are 8ohm, could you wire two in parallel (or is it series?) to give a 4ohm load? and use the superfly to drive two omni10's?

[quote name='Hamster' post='10559' date='Jun 1 2007, 02:18 PM']I picked up one of these at Soundcontrol during lunchbreak for £199. Almost bought more to flog on ebay following the Crate Powerblock earner!

Hamster[/quote]

You'll be pretty sorted for a lightweight rig with that head and the Secos.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='10561' date='Jun 1 2007, 01:20 PM']You'll be pretty sorted for a lightweight rig with that head and the Secos.[/quote]

I've just spent a month experimenting with different combinations of cabinet lining in the Secos. After several bad sounding combinations, they now both sound better than ever, especially the 1x15 - much more low-end punch. I'm going to experiment with the Ashdown and it's programming, although I'm pretty happy with the Eden WT550.