Why become a member? ×

PSP: New trio feat. Pino Palladino

Soulfinger

Don´t know if this has been posted before, but I figure it might be of interest to some of you:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WluQwSkm1Tk&feature=channel_page"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WluQwSkm1Tk...re=channel_page[/url]

Pino Palladino with Simon Phillips and Philippe Saisse. Can´t find any tour dates though...

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='600004' date='Sep 16 2009, 11:14 AM']Don´t know if this has been posted before, but I figure it might be of interest to some of you:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WluQwSkm1Tk&feature=channel_page"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WluQwSkm1Tk...re=channel_page[/url]

Pino Palladino with Simon Phillips and Philippe Saisse. Can´t find any tour dates though...[/quote]

Thought Pino had given up on the fretless after Paul Young's 'No Parlez' album. He didn't want to be known as the guy who just made the 'mwah' sound on all the tracks he played on...lol

The Guitarist in my band Tony used to play with Pino at school- teaching him songs from that era ( early 70s)

Some time later my pal - after leaving Cardiff - saw Pino and a pal of his ( session singer who fronted a big band- cant remember who) in a bar in the city _any how my pal spoke to them at length asking how they were getting on- they said they were now session musicians and were quite busy.

This was about 2 months after Live Aid ( pino was in the backing band i think )

My Pal didnt realize who Pino had played with really until last year!!

Bob

I actually loved the stuff he did with Paul Young; I think his use of a Musiman Fretless sold the idea of a fretless being cool to then young bass players much like Mick Karn did around the same time. I know when my son first showed an interest I played him the first Paul Young Album and he was very impressed - much liek his old man ;-)

GGRREEAATT! and a big ...jaaazzz club... Nniccce! to....(ect)

Innit great to hear one of the most talked about musicman basses again?and the guy who lauched a million bass players carreers? (allways wonderd if Pino still had that guitar. glad he still has it.

I flippn' love Pinos playing, whatever he does is class,through and through.
("corporate video" style voice over made me smile too! :) )

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='600004' date='Sep 16 2009, 11:14 AM']Don´t know if this has been posted before, but I figure it might be of interest to some of you:

Pino Palladino with Simon Phillips and Philippe Saisse. Can´t find any tour dates though...[/quote]

Marvelous stuff!!

Thanks for posting that. :)

[quote name='MythSte' post='601465' date='Sep 17 2009, 05:17 PM']I love some of Pinos playing but this whole PSP thing seems a little soul-less to me :)[/quote]
Witterth: ( very anxiously) AAHH ...aahh!! but ..yeah ...yeah ...see ..er.. they explained!!you see.. yeah ..err with that..er ..with that..erm.. "some people may find our music challenging" comment so.. you see!?.. its all ok now..you understand, dont you see?.. you do dont you?? dont you ?( :rolleyes: )

Edited by witterth

[quote name='MythSte' post='601465' date='Sep 17 2009, 05:17 PM']I love some of Pinos playing but this whole PSP thing seems a little soul-less to me :)[/quote]

From that video, I agree. It felt like a technical exercise. To be honest...it sounded like a bunch of session musicians playing early 80s prog solos.

I can imagine those tunes being from an advanced-level 'Further Drumming for Experienced Players' book & dvd tutorial set, you know?

Pino is, very unoriginally, my bass-playing idol, but I'm not going to be rushing out to buy PSP tickets.

That said, thank you Soulfinger for posting it, very interesting to watch!

Jon

[quote name='witterth' post='601484' date='Sep 17 2009, 05:31 PM']Witterth: ( very anxiously) AAHH ...aahh!! but ..yeah ...yeah ...see ..er.. they explained!!you see.. yeah ..err with that..er ..with that..erm.. "some people may find our music challenging" comment so.. you see!?.. its all ok now..you understand, dont you see?.. you do dont you?? dont you ?( :) )[/quote]

:rolleyes:

I suppose as long as they know what they're doing its okay, but i still wont listen too it again! I think these "technical exersises" (as Trent900 so perfectly put) should be left for impromptue sessions and not made a full time thing. IMO YMMV etc etc.

this is where Pino is at as far as im concerned!

Cant listen to this as i am at work right now but cant wait to have a listen.

I love Pino pure class in my opinion and he has a smashing P bass. If anyone is remotely interested, Pino and Steve Jordan seem to be recording most of John Mayers new album. Some small clips of him on Mayers video blog on his website. I cant wait to hear what he does as I loved his playing on John Mayer blues trio and on his last live DVD, wicked stuff, classy music.

• 2 weeks later...

Tour dates now published - no UK though :) :

[b]Nov.1 - Germany - Osnabruck - Rosenhof
Nov.3 - Germany - Berlin - Quasimodo
Nov.4 - Germany - Hamburg - Fabrik
Nov.6 - Germany - Ingolstadt - Jazz Festival
Nov.7 - Germany - Aschaffenburg - Colos saal
Nov.8 - Germany - Aalen - Jazz Festival
Nov.9 - Germany - Augsburg - Spektrum
Nov.11 - Switzerland - Aarburg - Moonwalker
Nov.12 - Germany - Munich - Ampere
Nov.14 - Belgium - Vervier - Spirit 66
Nov.15 - Holland - Zoetermeer - Boerderij
Nov.17 - France - Paris - New Morning
Nov.18 - Luxembourg - Luxemburg LAtelier
Nov.21 - Italy - Verona
Nov.22 - Italy - Roma
Nov.23 - Italy - Bologna
Nov.24 - Italy - Milan - Blue Note
Nov.26 - Monaco - Monte Carlo - Moods
Nov.27 - Italy - Savona [/b]

glad i wasnt the only one :)

im sure im missing the point but i fail to see how palladino has influenced so many bass players, there was nothing inspiring about that just - as others have pointed out - a demo of technical ability and surely music disappearing up its own arse

[quote name='ashevans09' post='613962' date='Oct 1 2009, 04:40 PM']Am I the only one who immediately thought about the little Sony gadget and got confused after reading the thread title?[/quote]

Oh dear...........

Saw Simon Philips in a charity show once with Jeff Beck and Clapton.
Eric came on to do 'Further on up the road', a standard 12 bar blues shuffle, and Simon just killed the whole thing with overplaying and
out of context fills-absolutely no groove at all. Am sure he's technically excellent, but this style of playing leaves me stone cold.( Just my opinion of course!) Just hope Pino does n't stay in that niche too, as have seen him with other bands where he's been great.

(Incidentally in my band PSP is short for a pre-show p*ss!)

It was sort of like Fourplay minus 1. They're deliberately reaching out to a large international audience (read: being commercial) like Fourplay so the music is unlikely to be demanding to listen to. Have to agree on Simon Philips overplaying though. He should know better.

• 1 month later...

When I watched PSP on Youtube I wasn't that enthousiastic (it sounded a bit too much "look how complicated music can be"). However I went to see their show last Saturday here in Belgium and I was stunned.
It was energetic, it sounded fresh and the compositions were inspired.
The combination Philips-Palladino was great...they played with taste and the lack of a guitarplayer gave a lot of space for Pino. Odd measures, groovy funky tunes with some of the best bassplaying I've ever heard.
I saw Palladino a couple of times live (with Paul Young, Tony O'Malley (afterwards I talked to Pino for an hour)) and since I'm not a big fan of his John Mayer/D'Angelo-side I didn't have high hopes.
I was again struck like in the "old" days.
He played quite a bit of fretless (a five and four-string Musicman), even played two bass-solos and his mastership of groove and taste on top of this fusion-music was overwhelming. He played quite busy but it never took the groove away and he was there to support any bass-drum by Simon Philips (who was excellent and very musical).
They did "Blue rondo a la Turk" and when that fretless kicked it....wow !
Pino is still one of the most inspiring bass-voices in the world. I realised how good he is in àny style : latin, jazzy tunes, R n B, blues, Motown stuff, rock...he can cover it all and the most amazing thing is that he is still very recognisable no matter what he plays.
It was extremely hot during the concert and I gasped for air when I went outside but PSP was absolutely worth it.. The sort of concert you need to see every now and then to know what music and adventure is all about.