Why become a member? ×

Steely Dan/chuck rainey

YouMa

I have recently had a go at nailing raineys line from peg by the dan, i can do it but,in the slap part can anyone tell me is he actually popping the octaves or slapping them,on the record it sounds like a sort of muted pop,any ideas to what hes doing anybody?most of the youtube play alongs seem to sound wrong slightly as well.Cheers.

Definitely pops (well technically `pulls' but they are interchangeable terms!), I'd say.

Here Chuck meets one of his fave players...!

He's a really nice bloke - I told him that `Haitian Divorce' is one of the best basslines ever recorded - he clasped my hand and said `bless you man' - I was nearly in tears!!! When you meet someone of his musical stature, you can't help but be moved by it.

Nick

Rainey has his own style when slapping but that line is more down to his sound and the fact that he says he didn't want it to be obvious he was slapping the part at that point as Becker and Fagen didn't want that ...

He always has that kind of muted slap precsion sound anyway, IMV

It's a difficult one. If you watch the making of Aja, he definitely looks like he's just slapping and pulling the octaves. However, as mentioned earlier, if he used flatwounds and was trying to disguise the fact that he was slapping, combined with how the recording sat in the mix, the result is what you hear.

If in doubt, slap it!

Rainey has a unique style. I've always found the 'slap' line he plays at the end of the verse in 'Kid Charlemagne' impossible to achieve properly. It almost sounds like a fretless.

IMO the Charlemagne bass part is amongst the best ever conceived.

[quote name='RhysP' post='599725' date='Sep 16 2009, 12:04 AM']I think it sounds like that because he's playing it on an old precision, and probably with flatwound strings.[/quote]
+ 1.

And:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2uidYRrrUo&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2uidYRrrUo...feature=related[/url]

[quote name='Rayman' post='600146' date='Sep 16 2009, 01:12 PM']I just downloaded Aja a week or two ago, so I've broken my 'Dan Duck'. I'm liking it a lot.[/quote]

Go for the box set - it's always my 'reserve' on the iPod playlist whenever I can't think what else to listen to :)

[quote name='Mike' post='600018' date='Sep 16 2009, 11:28 AM']Just getting in on the Chuck Rainey pics action![/quote]

I was there too! It was a fantastic insight into Chuck's world, was it not? :)

Got a pic of me and Chuck somewhere...I think it's on my dad's old phone!

He is without doubt one of the best bass players that ever lived!

Edited by Higgie

[quote name='molan' post='600826' date='Sep 16 2009, 10:27 PM']Go for the box set - it's always my 'reserve' on the iPod playlist whenever I can't think what else to listen to :)[/quote]

A friend of mine at Uni in the 80's was a big Dan fan, I was a total Rush head at the time and there were often audio duels in the corridor between Signals/Permanent Waves and whatever overcomplicated bilgewater Fagan had produced at the time (spot the irony).

Oddly I bought the double Greatest Hits compilation (Kids something?) at a boot sale and I'm happy to say much of it made perfect sense this time. Ewen, you weren't the deaf uncultured Welsh bugger I thought you were mate, sorry about that.

Now playing Everything Must Go.

[quote name='WinterMute' post='601028' date='Sep 17 2009, 08:25 AM']A friend of mine at Uni in the 80's was a big Dan fan, I was a total Rush head at the time and there were often audio duels in the corridor between Signals/Permanent Waves and whatever overcomplicated bilgewater Fagan had produced at the time (spot the irony).

Oddly I bought the double Greatest Hits compilation (Kids something?) at a boot sale and I'm happy to say much of it made perfect sense this time. Ewen, you weren't the deaf uncultured Welsh bugger I thought you were mate, sorry about that.

Now playing Everything Must Go.[/quote]

I would like to see Larry Carlton back on the next album (if there is one).

I love the story of when they won the Grammys for Two Against Nature and Cousin Depree, and some w@nkspot from The Sun was incensed that this 'unknown' act had beaten Eminem.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Feelgood' post='645087' date='Nov 4 2009, 11:29 AM']Not that I want to keep this thread going just for the sake of it (!), but let's just have that one more time ...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I2jUdNGqIo&feature=related"]Peg - instrumental[/url][/quote]
But it's so worth keeping it going.

BERNARD PURDIE. what a feel

got a good purdie story.
A friend of mine who drums for a well known band was in New York with Elliott Randall (with whom he is friends) They were attending some big shot music do and Bernard Purdie was there Elliott took my mate up to Bernard and said "hey Bernard I want you to meet my friend, he's one of the best drummers in the world" my mate nearly fainted...

some may not know that Elliott Randall was with Dan in the early years and I think played the gtr solo on 'reeling in the years'

[quote name='jakesbass' post='645096' date='Nov 4 2009, 12:39 PM']But it's so worth keeping it going.

BERNARD PURDIE. what a feel

got a good purdie story.
A friend of mine who drums for a well known band was in New York with Elliott Randall (with whom he is friends) They were attending some big shot music do and Bernard Purdie was there Elliott took my mate up to Bernard and said "hey Bernard I want you to meet my friend, he's one of the best drummers in the world" my mate nearly fainted...

some may not know that Elliott Randall was with Dan in the early years and I think played the gtr solo on 'reeling in the years'[/quote]

You mean 'feel' like this?
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9jXALaMy4o&feature=related"]Purdie groove[/url]

HAHA! :) I bet your mate wanted the ground to open up!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='599746' date='Sep 15 2009, 10:21 PM']He's a really nice bloke - I told him that `Haitian Divorce' is one of the best basslines ever recorded - he clasped my hand and said `bless you man' - I was nearly in tears!!! When you meet someone of his musical stature, you can't help but be moved by it.[/quote]
You should have seized the moment and tried to flog him one of your 54 basses! :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='601236' date='Sep 17 2009, 11:48 AM']I love the story of when they won the Grammys for Two Against Nature and Cousin Depree, and some w@nkspot from The Sun was incensed that this 'unknown' act had beaten Eminem.[/quote]

In 1983, I remember hearing a tv announcer referring to the ZZ Top as a 'new band' in light of the release of their single 'Gimme All You Lovin'' (they formed in 1969). Journalists, huh? Who'd have 'em?

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='645181' date='Nov 4 2009, 01:57 PM']In 1983, I remember hearing a tv announcer referring to the ZZ Top as a 'new band' in light of the release of their single 'Gimme All You Lovin'' (they formed in 1969). Journalists, huh? Who'd have 'em?[/quote]

On a similar vein;

In June 2002, brake failure on an Aero L-39 Albatross landing at Imperial War Museum, Duxford, caused the plane to run off the end of the runway and down the embankment on to the M11 motorway. Sadly, the trainee pilot was killed after ejecting at ground level.
The thick local TV news reporter said to camera ; 'You have to ask why an aerodrome was built so close to a motorway.'
Duxford was a very important fighter station during WW2, the motorway was opened in 1975.