Why become a member? ×

B String lacks growl

Guest MoJo

The E, A, D and G strings on my Yamaha BB415 growl like they should but the B string lacks definition even when played with a pick. Tried a different string but that was no better. Looking for something close to the growl that Mike Kroeger (Nickelback) gets from his Spector 5 string (without buying a Spector). Would a good quality set of strings help? Can anyone recommend a set that has a good bright B string in it. Has anyone changed the strings on their BB415 / 615 and got some improvement? So Many questions...so little time. Would appreciate your input.

MIKE KROEGERS SIGNATURE SPECTOR

Ta
Mark

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='63920' date='Sep 22 2007, 08:59 AM']That most useful of hombres - ex Bassworlder bt68 aka Thumper - reckoned that taking less wrap around the B string M/C tightened things up a bit and gave the string a bit more clout.
I treid it , subtle change but got to be worth a go[/quote]

I'll give that a go. I noticed the same lack of growl on my old MIM Fender Jazz V. A Schecter I had had a really nice low B but that was a 35" scale. String spacing was too close for me to get on with so it had to go, shame.

[quote name='Basszilla' post='63881' date='Sep 21 2007, 11:48 PM']Dude, just get a spector! :)[/quote]

I'd love to but the Euro range goes for about four times what I paid for the BB415 and apart from the problem with the B I love it.

[quote name='bassman2790' post='63930' date='Sep 22 2007, 09:28 AM']I'd love to but the Euro range goes for about four times what I paid for the BB415 and apart from the problem with the B I love it.[/quote]
I had a BB615 and the low B on that wasn't as well defined as some other 5 string basses I'd had, though in every other respect, the BB615 was the best value 5 string I'd tried (apart from maybe an MTD Kingston).

Anyway, I made a few changes that improved it;

1) set the action so that the break angle over the bridge was increased (definitely helped)
2) changed the stock strings to a nickel set (can't remember the brand) and the tighter wrap of the string helped the definition of the B
3) adjusted the pick up height, bringing the pick ups closer to the B string, though you have to watch that the pick up aren't so close that the magnets starts to affect the tuning of the string

I know that other forum members here have changed the bridge on their BB615s to either a Badass or a Gotoh for example, and that apparently makes a big difference.

The other 2 things I considered doing were to have a shim put in the neck so that you can increase the break angle even more and modify the B string to be through body stringing.

I thing this particular problem with the BB615 (and 415) basses is caused by the 34" scale length coupled with the relatively lightweight stock bridge. Musicman basses are 34" scale and the low B on the MM 5s I've had have always been great... So, changing the bridge and getting a good luthier to make it string through body could IMHO make a big difference to the low B on your Yamaha though there's obviously a cost attached to the work.

If you like the way the bass sounds and you like the way it plays then it is probably worth getting the mods done and sticking with the bass. And, though the Spector 5 may seem like the way to go, as I recall, they have a much closer string spacing than the Yamahas which you just may not get on with?

Good luck with it!

Nik

[quote name='bassman2790' post='63929' date='Sep 22 2007, 09:26 AM']I'll give that a go. I noticed the same lack of growl on my old MIM Fender Jazz V. A Schecter I had had a really nice low B but that was a 35" scale. String spacing was too close for me to get on with so it had to go, shame.[/quote]

Looks like a job for a Lakland 55-01. Good string spacing (19mm), 35" scale, soap bar pups. Fabulous pieces of kit.

[quote name='lwtait' post='63909' date='Sep 22 2007, 07:56 AM']that spector looks a lot like a warwick streamer to me. maybe you'd get a similar sound from one of them?

please correct me if im wrong, ive never played a streamer or a spector, so i don't really know[/quote]

Spectors and Warwicks look alike 'cos they were both designed by Mr Steinberger, I do believe.

[quote name='Sean' post='63967' date='Sep 22 2007, 11:07 AM']Looks like a job for a Lakland 55-01. Good string spacing (19mm), 35" scale, soap bar pups. Fabulous pieces of kit.[/quote]

Lakland? Nice bit of kit but way out of my budget.

Mark :)

[quote name='lwtait' post='63997' date='Sep 22 2007, 12:44 PM']fair enough.

would they sound similar then or not?[/quote]

I think they sound really different. The only thing they share is the general body shape.

Warwicks sound like Warwicks (the sound of wood and all that) and Spectors sound like good active basses. That's the only way I can really describe it - might not be that useful I'm afriad.

Dunno how it would work for a 5 string, but Tim Commerford uses a left handed headstpock on his BEAD bass so the bottom string is the longest. I have a left handed neck here to try it once I get it over to the luthier to fit. My 5 string suffers from rubbish B syndrome too, am considering a guage thicker, but it sound fine acoustically, so it might be the pickups and amp.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='64362' date='Sep 23 2007, 02:04 PM']it sound fine acoustically, so it might be the pickups and amp.[/quote]

Now my B string doesn't 'sing' like the others which leads me to believe that it may be a string problem. Tried a few, acoustically yesterday in PMT Birmingham and one or two of them rang out nice and clear. Strangley, the strings on a new 5 string MM Stingray were as dull as dish water (might have been on the guitar for sometime). The mystery continues....