Why become a member? ×

Peavey T-40

kingforaday

[url="http://gs59.photobucket.com/groups/g318/87AWL13EMY/?sort=ascending?sort=ascending"]quote name='silverfoxnik' date='Sep 29 2009, 12:08 AM' post='611503']
+1

Unbelievable collection!
[/quote]

I have found another fan, one of many in Europe.

SwissFan[/url][

Flat Eric :)

[quote name='Rayman' post='600934' date='Sep 17 2009, 12:14 AM']Yeah, I had my hands on a '65 Jazz briefly once, and I dream of having one eventually, but I fear it is but a distant dream.[/quote]

This is my JB 65 sunburst L Series
I've had it once in my hands and I kept it !!!!

But I like Peavey basses too... I personally own 4 Peaveys T-40

Here is my T-40 lot.... among other old things !!!!

Edited by pepone2401

[quote name='ase_one23' post='623046' date='Oct 11 2009, 12:57 PM']here's mine in action. it's a wee bit worse for wear with plenty of dings and dents, still plays and sounds great tho!!!! as you'll see it's natural body with a rosewood fingerboard, a wee bit less common i'm told.[/quote]

Great. Nice to see you in action - Rosewood is not that common - most were maple.
Any more T-40 fans out there?? Join in?? Come on, you know you want to!!!!! :)

I've got a tasty, slightly gig-worn black/maple from 1980, it's a beast. It's been out of use and on my 'things to sell' list for a bit, but I'm increasingly tempted to slap a nice set of flats on it and give it a run out again. I'll get the camera on it soon as I get the chance, it's a beasty!

I just had mine freshly setup, new strings on, and out for a gig on saturday night.

Awesome as ever.

Maybe too awesome for some of the softer numbers on our setlist, but hey-ho, been told by my band mates that switching bass while on stage is a little naff, so it's T-40 all the way!
Maybe i'll post a pic or two when I get them.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed i do have one of these babies and I love it dearly, I will post some pics of it when i get the chance, Im not gonna lie tho its a bit of a dog in comparison to all your fine examples. I got mine in a straight swap for a 78 p-bass, To this day I'm not sure weather it was the best or worst thing I ever did.

[quote name='cocco' post='634115' date='Oct 23 2009, 02:57 AM']Indeed i do have one of these babies and I love it dearly, I will post some pics of it when i get the chance, Im not gonna lie tho its a bit of a dog in comparison to all your fine examples. I got mine in a straight swap for a 78 p-bass, To this day I'm not sure weather it was the best or worst thing I ever did.[/quote]

The sun was out the other day!! :rolleyes:

[attachment=35204:T_40Bass.jpg]

I also have a couple of "Well used" ones but still make a great sound.
Will get some shots of the old fellas.
Meanwhile, to keep this T-40 thing going, here's one I took the other
day. Mmm, Nice!! :lol:

Cheers.
Flat Eric :)

As I started playing in the early 80's, I have only two memories of these basses.....incredibly heavy, but really nice cases! I'm sure I used one as firewood when times were tough!

Worth mentioning that I read somewhere these were the first guitars made by CNC machinery - very much ahead of the times.

[quote name='cocco' post='644104' date='Nov 3 2009, 08:19 AM']I read somewhere that the necks on the first few years of production were made on a machine which was designed for making rifle butts, im not sure how true this is, but I love telling everyone who takes interest in my T-40 about it :)[/quote]

You are absolutely correct! :lol:
Hartley Peavey and Chip Todd pioneered the use of machinery
to replicate the features over and over again.
The machine developed to make rifle butts identical, could
make necks that had the same profile, time after time.
CNC machines were put to use on the other parts that were
machined, so each instrument had a consistency.
I have several T-40's and T-60's and the feel of each is the
same, with the only difference being between the early ones
(more slab bodied) and the later ones, which were more contoured.
They also laminted the necks in a way that Leo Fender later used
on his G&L range.

Check out the link below.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7oCiMnvXUE&feature=channel"]Peavey Number One[/url]

Cheers.
Flat Eric. :rolleyes:

[quote name='FlatEric' post='644299' date='Nov 3 2009, 12:19 PM']You are absolutely correct! :rolleyes:
Hartley Peavey and Chip Todd pioneered the use of machinery
to replicate the features over and over again.
The machine developed to make rifle butts identical, could
make necks that had the same profile, time after time.
CNC machines were put to use on the other parts that were
machined, so each instrument had a consistency.
I have several T-40's and T-60's and the feel of each is the
same, with the only difference being between the early ones
(more slab bodied) and the later ones, which were more contoured.
They also laminted the necks in a way that Leo Fender later used
on his G&L range.

Check out the link below.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7oCiMnvXUE&feature=channel"]Peavey Number One[/url]

Cheers.
Flat Eric. :)[/quote]

Thats cool man, how do you work out the age of them? mine is definatly an old one because it is slab bodied and doesnt have the pickup rails but ive never actually known the age

[quote name='cocco' post='645296' date='Nov 4 2009, 02:45 PM']Thats cool man, how do you work out the age of them? mine is definatly an old one because it is slab bodied and doesnt have the pickup rails but ive never actually known the age[/quote]

As per Kingforaday.
These also relate to the T-60's and all the other guitars and basses.

[attachment=35749:Peavey_Serials.JPG]

:)

yep and if anyone looks at that list and discovers their T-40 is from 1982 and wants to sell or trade it let me know! i have an obsessive need to buy any i can find from the year i was born! i have a black 1983 t40 as a potential trade [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=66633"]here[/url]

Edited by kingforaday

one is the pickup selector, neck pickup-both on-bridge pickup the other is a phase switch

i just tried to explain the phase switch, then re-read my ramblings and in the end i think its probably easier for you to just look at the [url="http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/80370017.pdf"]manual![/url] than try to decifer what the hell i'm going on about!