Why become a member? ×

Peavey T-40

kingforaday

I've got 2 and am always on the lookout for more! also started looking at purchasing the Guitar versions (got a T-15 the other day) could end up with a nice little collection here.

may end up selling/trading this beauty to fund the purchase of a white one or a nice natural finish if one comes up as i have another one virtually the same - except its 1982 (which is when i'm from) and this is 1983

anyone else play a bass born the same year as them? guess that's a thread in itself...
  • Like 1

Very nice. The thing i love about these basses is that you can tell that they have been made with the practicality for a musician in mind. Even down to the pickup adjustment screws. I Really can't stand how the humbucker on my guitar is on a diagonal to the strings. Having 4 instead of 2 probably puts a stop to all that. I bet that bridge probably sounds good too. It looks to have a lot of mass to it. It's just a shame peavey didn't keep that practicality principal with their newer basses and instead have tried to copy hipshot hardware, with disastarous consequences imo. Don't get me wrong i really liked my peavey bass but i think the hardware let it down. I've sold it now anyway to my mate who wants to learn 5 string.

yeah for me it ticks all the right boxes, the build quality is great, love the bridge and even the metal control knobs are just pure class. very very versatile sounding, a joy to play and is the kind of instrument that turns heads which (not that i'm that shallow...) is always nice!

the only downside is the weight which gets a bit much in a 3-4 hour rehearsal but all in all it's worth it!

[quote name='kingforaday' post='597322' date='Sep 13 2009, 01:39 PM']yeah for me it ticks all the right boxes, the build quality is great, love the bridge and even the metal control knobs are just pure class. very very versatile sounding, a joy to play and is the kind of instrument that turns heads which (not that i'm that shallow...) is always nice!

the only downside is the weight which gets a bit much in a 3-4 hour rehearsal but all in all it's worth it![/quote]
GREAT BASSES. :)
These are Classics in their own right. USA built, meant to last, huge sound!
I use my T-40's 3 out of 4 gigs - many bass players come up for a better look.
Most have never seen one but after hearing it are keen to have a go.
If these had "F" "G" or "R" on the head, they would be fetching [i]big[/i] money.
I just love 'em.
It would be interesting to see how many members have one. :rolleyes:

Cheers.
Flat Eric. :lol:

[quote name='FlatEric' post='599907' date='Sep 16 2009, 09:27 AM']GREAT BASSES. :)
These are Classics in their own right. USA built, meant to last, huge sound!
I use my T-40's 3 out of 4 gigs - many bass players come up for a better look.
Most have never seen one but after hearing it are keen to have a go.
If these had "F" "G" or "R" on the head, they would be fetching [i]big[/i] money.
I just love 'em.
It would be interesting to see how many members have one. :rolleyes:

Cheers.
Flat Eric. :lol:[/quote]

or EBMM (or just MM) for that matter...

I bought one of these here on BC earlier this year, after trying one at some jam night while I was on holiday. The one I got is from 1980 i seem to recall, black/black/maple, just like the one in the pic.

FANTASTIC piece of kit. The neck is just right for me, and I find the weight reassuring. The controls are a little quirky, but that adds even more charm, and frankly they let you find the right sound almost all the time, without having to fiddle with amp. I can always cut through the mix like it's nobody's business, and I still retain lots of bottom end.
I use it with a Peavey head of the same age, and the sounds i'm getting are fantastically growly and deep, yet midrangy and honky if needed. Maybe not very hifi, but that's not my main thing anyway. Oh, and the looks and questions you get at gigs are a bonus, and a nice tickle for my ego. All this for less than 300 pounds. I wish i bought one sooner.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='600821' date='Sep 16 2009, 10:23 PM']I'd love a bass made in the year I was born but.....

54 Precisions are a tad pricey :)[/quote]

Yeah, I had my hands on a '65 Jazz briefly once, and I dream of having one eventually, but I fear it is but a distant dream.

[quote name='kingforaday' post='600156' date='Sep 16 2009, 01:18 PM']also i'd be interested to see some pics of your t40's (especially FlatEric's collection!) so get posting people![/quote]

Hi. Trouble with Camera. Doh! :)
Here is one I took some time ago.
This one has flown the nest, as I have another identical one.
How could you not love it? This Bass is 29 years old!!
Will get soom more, soon.

Cheers.
Flat Eric :rolleyes:
[attachment=33058:Nat2.jpg][attachment=33059:Nat3.jpg][attachment=33057:Nat1.jpg][attachment=33056:N
at.jpg]

Looks just like mine but in slightly better condition - I see you're using flats! I have flats on my P-Bass, but this sounds too good played aggressive fingerstyle with DR Sunbeams and both pickups on full in single coil mode for me to change it!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='FlatEric' post='602174' date='Sep 18 2009, 01:11 PM']Hi. Trouble with Camera. Doh! :)
Here is one I took some time ago.
This one has flown the nest, as I have another identical one.
How could you not love it? This Bass is 29 years old!!
Will get soom more, soon.

Cheers.
Flat Eric :rolleyes:
[attachment=33058:Nat2.jpg][attachment=33059:Nat3.jpg][attachment=33057:Nat1.jpg][attachment=33056:N
at.jpg][/quote]

Here's another one!!
A beautiful Sunburst. This one has medium "Elite's" on it
and sounds wonderful.
Will post more, when I have the time. :lol:

Cheers.
Flat Eric :lol:
[attachment=33415:TBurst2.jpg]