Why become a member? ×

Rosetti Electric Bass Strings

punksoul257

What an absolute bag of sh*te, i should have realised that the £10 price tag was dodgy.
These strings are horrible, i mean seriously, 2 out of the 4 strings were dull like they had already been used, 1 was totally dead & the D string sounded fantastic.

I have a pack of Stealth strings ready go go on my P-bass once i've fitted my new SPB-3 Pups. I hope those arn't shocking or i'll have wasted £20 on crappy strings.
Wish i had forked out for a set of elites.

in all my years as a semi incompetant bass player i've never come across a set of strings so crap. If it wasn't for Halo 3 next week i'd be buying a shed load of new strings for both my basses. Just hope these other strings are fine & that my p bass sounds like a monster with its new pups & Badass II bridge.

Yeah i'm gonna have to try some of the ernie ball strings.

Edited by punksoul257

I think the last set of strings I bought were about £40 for a 5 sting set of TI flats to replace the stock strings on a new £200 Peavey. The TIs will probably last about ten years, so I consider that a bargain.

I used to use Rotosound flats, but I had three sets of crap ones turn up in one order once and haven't risked them since.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='63822' date='Sep 21 2007, 08:37 PM']I used to use Rotosound flats, but I had three sets of crap ones turn up in one order once and haven't risked them since.[/quote]That's what killed Rotos for me -- 2 crap sets in a row. And then a few years later, the same thing happened with Elites.

I bought 3 sets of Ken Smith Metal Masters from the states, via a luthier mate, who posted them to the guy who runs a band message board I moderate, who gave them to a German I know who was on holiday there. Soon, she will post them to me and I'll let you all know if it was worth it. Worked out at about £30 for 3 sets.

• 2 months later...

I use roundwound 45-105 sets on most of my basses. My Experience with strings is similar to a lot of you in that I used Rotosound (RS66 Rounds) for about 20 years and slowly but surely watched the price go through the roof and the quality decline greatly in about 2002/3. For my long scale (34') basses I switched to Web Strings Detroit Stainless (about US$10 a set) and have used them ever since. (about 3 years now).

For my Shorties (30.5') I use Ken Smith Strings KS_RWM-S 44 63 84 106
I'm pretty sure that these are relabled GHS strings (due to the weird gauges and the feel of the strings from experience) but great strings and one of the only short scale sets that are in the gauges and tension that I like.
At US$20 a set from bassguitarstrings.us they are still quite cheap in price.

[url="http://bassguitarstrings.us/store/home.php?cat=346"]http://bassguitarstrings.us/store/home.php?cat=346[/url]

[quote name='Freuds_Cat' post='103038' date='Dec 12 2007, 04:22 AM']I used Rotosound (RS66 Rounds) for about 20 years and slowly but surely watched the price go through the roof and the quality decline greatly in about 2002/3.[/quote]
Exactly my experience - I used RS66 for years and finally got the message after my third set with a dead A. These days, I'm very impressed with Elixirs - I love the brightness & slipperyness, and they pretty much last for ever, even with my hamfisted & heavyhanded technique.

On the original topic, I bought a few packs of Rosetti strings at £3 a set from Music Live a few years back, I actually thought they were fine, sounded good new, and didn't go dead as quickly as some cheap strings I've experimented with. I have a set on my Ibanez Roadster, and they still sound pretty good now. But I would imagine quality control - or lack of - is one of the reasons they're so cheap, and maybe I simply got lucky.

Jon.

I've had several sets of Rosetti's, bought off Ebay, and been perfectly happy with them. I'm not particularly fussy however and have cloth ears-I have a job to tell one set of strings from another. I'm currently using a set of Skull Strings which the lads at my local shop pointed me in the direction of-they seem pretty good-long, thin and shiny and go twangg when I pluck them-just what I look for in a set of strings!

I tried Rosetti. I'm afraid I have to agree with first post - thought they were terrible. Did have a dead E-string, which wasn't really a problem to me. But, they did seem really harsh, ripped my fingers to shreds. Binned them & gave away the second set I had.

Only really change my strings once a year (at the most) anyway, & even then usually just clean them in alcohol for a bit of a 're-life', & to remove any gunk I can. At the moment, I favour quite a [i]played-in[/i] tone, especially when recording. Used Elites for as long as I can remember.