Why become a member? ×

Asking for PM offers in the "For Sale" section.

rjb

Was just wondering about what seems to be a recent trend towards asking for PM offers in the "For Sale" section.

I can certainly understand sellers wanting to get the maximum possible for their gear, but doesn't this practice risk turning the the "For Sale" section into more of a "Sealed-bid Auctions" area?

I have no particular axe to grind, but I'd love to hear everyone's views....

Edited by rjb

my warwick is for sale. untill i asked clever people I didn't know how much for, if someone had PM'ed me with an offer before i fixed a price I liked then they would have got it. That offer may have been more than the price I fixed or it could have been less.
Or someone may have wanted to say "well i have a X bass and can also add £Y" if you want. I could have said, yes please! or maybe 'thanks but no thanks'

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='593200' date='Sep 8 2009, 07:34 PM']The moderators actively encourage auctions so its definitely not against forum rules.[/quote]

Expect a PM re: Baiting. I am upping your warning level.

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='593215' date='Sep 8 2009, 07:45 PM']I have to admit, I'd rather someone put a ballpark figure and ask for 'offers around £x' so I know whether it's in my price-range, whether I've got appropriate stuff to offer as a p/x +cash etc etc. but other than that, if that's the way someone wants to sell it then so be it!

*settles in to watch this thread unravel :) *[/quote]

+1

Asking for offers kind of assumes that people have an idea of the value, and they're sitting waiting for an example of the bass to come up. That might be the case sometimes, but I'd imagine a lot of people are just looking for a decent bass that appeals to them within their budget.

i have never made an offer on an item for sale without the seller giving me an indication of what he/she is looking for, and i have never sold an item to a buyer without letting them know what i am expecting. Pm's are of course fine for trade offers, but for cash offers its not what i like to get involved in, i go ebay for that.

[quote name='Musky' post='593223' date='Sep 8 2009, 07:53 PM']+1

Asking for offers kind of assumes that people have an idea of the value, and they're sitting waiting for an example of the bass to come up. That might be the case sometimes, but I'd imagine a lot of people are just looking for a decent bass that appeals to them within their budget.[/quote]

problem is if the seller has no real idea of value either

This did come up quite recently - over an eye-wateringly overpriced JV Precision.

Realistically most common mid-range basses on here seem to sell for about £30 - £50 less than their corresponding Ebay prices. It's not too hard to work out a reasonable price for most things IMO.

Jon.

I'd also never dream of making someone an offer without a rough idea of their hopes/expectations for the sale.

If you have some kind of figure in mind then it's just easier for everyone if you put it out there as a guide. E.g. I'd like around £500 but offers are most welcome.

Well, there's no rule against offers, 'sort of' auctions, trades + cash with the required amount unspecified or, indeed, demands for sexual favours.

Personally, I don't bother reading offers ads because I assume the seller will probably want more than I'm willing to pay. There's logic for you... :)