Why become a member? ×

Gig Review For Nearly Dan

Pete Academy

Apologies for posting this separately, but many thanks for to Seb for this review of our gig at The Sage in Gateshead last night. Top bloke, top venue.

Just thought I'd post a little gig review of this amazing performance that I witnessed last night at The Sage. I had previously spoken to Pete Academy about some Steely Dan bass line question and recently spoke to him about his Steinberger (decided to pass on this one, probably for the best...) and mentioned meeting up for a drink. We had a fantastic chat about all things bass and the Dan, it's always good to meet a fellow bass afincado. Turns out we are thinking about some similar things, including swapping our respective Ashdown heads for Markbasses

The gig itself. For those who haven't been to The Sage before, it's one of the best concert venues in the North East, if not England. Nearly Dan appeared in the second hall, not the massive hall one that has seen the likes of Jackson Browne and David Byrne this year. The sound is always crystal clear and the staff are always very helpful, last night was no exception. Hall 2 is a unique shape, with three layers in a circular fashion. It holds around 400 people and last night was a sell out, congrats to Nearly Dan for doing this! It would be a dream come true if my band ever makes it to play this hall. I bought my ticket not long ago and managed to bag a spot right in the front row.

Just around 8:00pm, the band came onto the stage and opened with The Boston Rag - slightly obscure choice but I loved it! For such a formal environment, the gig was very relaxed and the banter was terrific. The ten piece band had a very full sound, complete with two backing singers and three piece horn section. I never remember setlists but all the usual suspects where there, the only song that I felt was missing was Do It Again - it's one of their most well known songs and I was hoping, but you can't have everything. Some of the tasty rarities more than made up for it. As Pete said, they've been doing this for 12 years so chopping and choosing their songs would seem a good idea. The highlights in the set were Show Biz Kids (with some nice slap bass from Pete in a completely reworked version of the original), Josie (nailed it), FM (another rare number), Hey Nineteen (with some of the best trumpet playing I've ever seen) and Rikki Don't Loose That Number (including audience participation moment). However, the standout was the track IGY, from Donald Fagen's solo album The Nightfly. It was a number 20 hit in 1982 in the US, making it a semi-popular but still quite rare track. The band captured the feel perfectly.The reggae beat was so groovy and the audience loved it, to the surprise of the band. The solos in Reelin' In The Years were also spot on, I could go on and on...

The band appeared at the bar during the interval and chatted to their paying guests. I managed to quickly say hello to their singer/guitarist and trumpeter. The set length was also very impressive, with the first half coming in around an hour and the second half a little number, plus the romping encore of My Old School and Bodhisattva. The Dan's music wasn't made for dancing, but a few sprung up during Reelin'. As the fellow next me said, the musical abilities of each band member will blow you away. The horn section nailed their respective parts, their drummer went for an epic drum solo and made it work so well, the backing singers voices blended well, Pete's bass was perfect and drove all the tunes along while the two guitarists on the front line just got it right. Not over the top, not too little but just the right amount. The role of lead guitar was interchanged several times and each handled it perfectly. The singer also has the right voice for the Dan's tunes - Fagen's isn't a traditional singing voice but he got he vibe right.

So, in conclusion - go see Nearly Dan! If you like the Dan, you'll love these guys. If you have no idea who Aja is, then go see them anyway, their musicianship will blow you away. I loved it and had a great evening, thanks guys. If all things work out, I'm going to gather my band together to have a road trip to see them in Edinburgh on 23rd October!

Can't wait to see them again

+1 for Nearly Dan

I always catch them when they play Bristol, normally at the Fleece. Next year they are playing what used to be Jesters on Glos Road.

I have accosted Pete afterwards, when I'm very drunk...and probably talked absolute rubbish. Sorry!

Congrats on the sell-out at the Sage.

See you next time :-)

Geoff

Edited by bootleg

[quote name='bootleg' post='592272' date='Sep 7 2009, 05:39 PM']+1 for Nearly Dan

I always catch them when they play Bristol, normally at the Fleece. Next year they are playing what used to be Jesters on Glos Road.

I have accosted Pete afterwards, when I'm very drunk...and probably talked absolute rubbish. Sorry!

Congrats on the sell-out at the Sage.

See you next time :-)

Geoff[/quote]

Don't remember any drunk bass players talking rubbish on that gig :) Hope to see you next year.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='591620' date='Sep 6 2009, 07:48 PM']Just around 8:00pm, the band came onto the stage and opened with The Boston Rag - slightly obscure choice but I loved it![/quote]

Exactly what the Dan came onto in 2001 (I think) in London - fantastic choice!

Pete, I've only just put 2 and 2 together and worked out who you are. I used to see you a lot in the Jones Music days when Brian and Julie owned it and I was first and foremost a singer and guitarist. I remember having a conversation with you about bass back then when you were flogging a red Peavey bass in there. I've since made the jump to bass myself. I really must get to one of your gigs.

Russ.

[quote name='Rayman' post='593349' date='Sep 8 2009, 10:05 PM']Pete, I've only just put 2 and 2 together and worked out who you are. I used to see you a lot in the Jones Music days when Brian and Julie owned it and I was first and foremost a singer and guitarist. I remember having a conversation with you about bass back then when you were flogging a red Peavey bass in there. I've since made the jump to bass myself. I really must get to one of your gigs.

Russ.[/quote]

Can't seem to place you, Russ. A great deal of lager has washed over my brain cells since then. Any more info?

I love Nearly Dan - only seen 'em once many moons ago in Preston and that only came about because the guitarist's amp blew and the landlord rang me to borrow mine for the gig. The venue (Crossroads) was tiny and punters had to walk through the band to take a leak but the band did a superb performance in spite of the lack of room.

Being a massive Steely Dan nut, they absolutely blew me away and I really must make the effort to see them again.

Lovely people too.

Yes, they're the ultimate feelgood gig if you are a Dan fan and don't want to sit 3 miles from the stage in some aircraft hanger squinting at tiny dots on the stage.
The New Roscoe in Leeds is my favoured venue to see the Nearlies but have seen Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings at the smaller Sage stage and it's a nice place to be.
PS She's never 40......! :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='593554' date='Sep 9 2009, 08:05 AM']Can't seem to place you, Russ. A great deal of lager has washed over my brain cells since then. Any more info?[/quote]

Not really mate, I'd known Brian and Julie for years, and a mate of mine Mike Rawsthorne used to give guitar lessons there too. I'd had dozens of guitars from Jones's over the years, a beautiful Ibanez AS120 semi in particular, maybe the best guitar I've ever had my hands on, and a nice black DeArmond Starfire special with a bigsby on it. In the end, I traded in a purple Fender Telecaster and got my first bass in years from Brian, a burgandy MIM Precision, very nice bass that was.

Can't say much more than that, how about a picture:

Taken a couple of months ago, best I can do.

[quote name='Rayman' post='593941' date='Sep 9 2009, 03:36 PM']Not really mate, I'd known Brian and Julie for years, and a mate of mine Mike Rawsthorne used to give guitar lessons there too. I'd had dozens of guitars from Jones's over the years, a beautiful Ibanez AS120 semi in particular, maybe the best guitar I've ever had my hands on, and a nice black DeArmond Starfire special with a bigsby on it. In the end, I traded in a purple Fender Telecaster and got my first bass in years from Brian, a burgandy MIM Precision, very nice bass that was.

Can't say much more than that, how about a picture:

Taken a couple of months ago, best I can do.[/quote]

Ah, Russ! How the hell are you?!