Why become a member? ×

What's wrong with my D string??

dostoyevsky

I just put a new set of DR red devil strings on my bass but the D string seems dead. It gives off a weird vibrating noise when I pluck it. The sound from the amp seems ok although I'm not too sure but the sound coming off the actual string is pretty annoying. Is there something wrong with the string and if so, can I fix it? Or did I set it up wrong?

Edited by dostoyevsky

[quote name='dostoyevsky' post='591582' date='Sep 6 2009, 07:03 PM']I just put a new set of DR red devil strings on my bass but the D string seems dead. It gives off a weird vibrating noise that's not in tune when I pluck it. Is there something wrong with the string and if so, can I fix it? Or did I set it up wrong?[/quote]

Might be a broken core, is the string touching any frets or out of the saddle?

[quote name='Linus27' post='591621' date='Sep 6 2009, 07:49 PM']Whats break angle Could you explain this please.[/quote]

Its the angle between the nut and where the string meets the post of your tuners. If its to "shallow" (ie the string is wound up the post instead of down), then the nut doesn't "break" the string enough and your left with the string making a weird noise.

Does that make sense?

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='591628' date='Sep 6 2009, 07:56 PM']Its the angle between the nut and where the string meets the post of your tuners. If its to "shallow" (ie the string is wound up the post instead of down), then the nut doesn't "break" the string enough and your left with the string making a weird noise.

Does that make sense?[/quote]

Cool, yes makes sense thanks but my strings always wind downwards towards the bottom of the tuner.