Why become a member? ×

Are BC Rich Basses just for Metal?

XxBassMastaXx

according to this they are just metal basses, and would certainly look a little odd playing other styles on it but what ever rocks ya boat

heres the link

[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/B.C.+Rich/Warlock+Bass/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...rlock+Bass/10/1[/url]

[b]No!!![/b]

Oh my lord no!

This is an absolute misconception - and is oft-perpetuated by those who've never played them, or won't look beyond the shape.

The Warlock review, linked above, comments on Split-P instruments - and, as you'd expect, they do provide some punch which works well in metal. But to say they're simply metal would be to condemn every instrument with the same set-up, which doesn't wash. As the first reviewer notes, they're "synonymous" with metal - which, I suspect, comes a lot down to the look of the more recent models.

"Synonymous", fine - they've got a rich heritage of serving the heavier side of rock. Just for metal? No, not on your nelly. Was Rob Palmer metal?

I haven't played the Vertex Warlock, so you'll have go elsewhere for a review - and not the above Harmony Central link, as that appears to be a general review of the older Warlocks as opposed to this model. There are differences, most noticeably in the pick-ups - and the gaping Class Axe/Hanser quality divide. The closest you might get on HC is the Paolo signature bass, which is a contemporary and notes the tonal warmth of a similar pick-up arrangement - which has been my experience of the brand to date.

The quality has picked up a lot since Hanser took over, but the real top-end gears is either US vintage or custom shop - and bcrichplayers.com should help you with either, if you decide to delve a little further.

The Vertex is certainly an aggressive looking bass, which will work aesthetically for some - but there's a whole back catalogue of service in pop, reggae, jazz... you name it, and some good old instruments out there if the current ones don't work for you. Did anyone see Shockwave's Eagle as an example?

I've played BCRs for years, both before and after my accident, and they're an old friend. It's just a shame to see them so often poorly regarded.

If you are playing metal on it then yes,it's a metal bass. But, if you play country on one,it's a country bass.
A Bass is not limited to any one style,it's the person who plays it that makes the difference.

Bernard Edwards played a B.C. Rich.

I could hug you Doddy!

I seem to remember Jefferson Starship being fond of BCRs; the guy from Flock of Seagulls played an Eagle; Rob Palmer had a whole stash of BCRs... all terribly metal, I tell you!

That answer was spot on - and came nicely after my little rant. I'll apologise for that.

pointy head stock ? yes
pointy body with unnescessay unergonomic siticky outy bits to make it look all tough and grumpy? yes
very black? yes

Its a metal bass, the pups and pre anre irrelevant, it is designed to look 'metal', its aesthetic design is dictated too by the preconceptions of what is 'metal'.

Can you use it to play other music? yes, of course.

Will you look like a tw@t? almost certainly.....

wow thats one ugly bass, i thought you liked stingrays??! :)

Echoing what people have said, itd would look stupid in anything but a metal band, but recording wise (or if you don't care what it looks like on stage), its not by any means restricted to metal

Edited by Kev

The older (1970s - mid 80s) Riches were superb hand built instruments that were used by many famous musicians to play all manner of styles of music.

In the mid to late 80s certain manufacturers, BC Rich being one of the main ones, aligned themselves with the "Hair metal" bands and have never really recovered their reputation, being thought of solely as guitars & basses for metal bands. As a result rather than try & win back the general musician they began to bring out newer models & finishes that would appeal solely to the metal player.

This also coincided with BC Rich manufacturing a lot of cheaper, lower quality guitars so there are a lot of people out there who never knew that BC Rich used to make some of the very best instruments that money could buy.

I used to work in a shop that sold the older instruments, and also have a friend that collects 70s & 80s Riches & believe me they are awesome.

Wrong to both above posts

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABLwmYI09Lw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABLwmYI09Lw[/url]

B.C.Rich Wave bass (Vintage USA made),guy doesn't look at all like a tw*t

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UFhdYhE9ko&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UFhdYhE9ko...feature=related[/url]

B.C.Rich Eagle bass (Vintage USA made),Bernard Edwards certainly doesn't look like a tw*t

:)

[quote name='Doddy' post='588739' date='Sep 3 2009, 02:36 PM']If you are playing metal on it then yes,it's a metal bass. But, if you play country on one,it's a country bass.
A Bass is not limited to any one style,it's the person who plays it that makes the difference.

Bernard Edwards played a B.C. Rich.[/quote]

He did, but he didn't play an Ironbird/Warlock/Beast/Bich, etc. They might have a versatile sound, but aesthetically, these more extreme BC Riches only belong in a metal band (and even then, I think they look cheesy). A Mockingbird or Eagle would visually fit most bands, though.

Also, the cheaper BC Riches are not particularly good instruments. The US-made ones are great, but the import line are very subpar.

[quote name='Russ' post='588880' date='Sep 3 2009, 05:35 PM']He did, but he didn't play an Ironbird/Warlock/Beast/Bich, etc. They might have a versatile sound, but aesthetically, these more extreme BC Riches only belong in a metal band (and even then, I think they look cheesy). A Mockingbird or Eagle would visually fit most bands, though.

Also, the cheaper BC Riches are not particularly good instruments. The US-made ones are great, but the import line are very subpar.[/quote]

That would be because Bernards and Chic parted ways in 1983

The Ironbird was designed in 1983
The Warlock 1981
The Bich,ok,1977
The Beast after Bernards death in 1996,the beast came out in 1999

[quote name='Lorne' post='588902' date='Sep 3 2009, 04:51 PM']That would be because Bernards and Chic parted ways in 1983

The Ironbird was designed in 1983
The Warlock 1981
The Bich,ok,1977
The Beast after Bernards death in 1996,the beast came out in 1999[/quote]

Smartarse. :) Just making the point that Bernard Edwards' BC Riches weren't the extreme-shaped "metal" models. He played an Eagle, didn't he?

The Original post asked about if the BC Rich had that "Metallic,Metal Tone". While aesthetically the instruments
might not be your Bag,tonally and playability any instrument can fit in any genre.Obviously the extreme
pointy ones look better for metal but tonally they are as versatile as the player.

[quote name='Doddy' post='589048' date='Sep 3 2009, 08:07 PM']The Original post asked about if the BC Rich had that "Metallic,Metal Tone". While aesthetically the instruments
might not be your Bag,tonally and playability any instrument can fit in any genre.Obviously the extreme
pointy ones look better for metal but tonally they are as versatile as the player.[/quote]

Good post.

[quote name='Russ' post='588925' date='Sep 3 2009, 06:13 PM']Smartarse. :rolleyes: Just making the point that Bernard Edwards' BC Riches weren't the extreme-shaped "metal" models. He played an Eagle, didn't he?[/quote]

Sorry Russ,didn't mean to come accross as smartass,but yes Bernard had an Eagle,well,at least 2 Eagles that I know of,the Maple one is now owned by John Taylor of Duran Duran :)