Why become a member? ×

Fender Highway one Precision versus Classic 50s

Helderius

The Classic 50's Precision (I assume you mean the one with the gold pickguard) is a nice enough bass, but the one I played had very low output and didn't have much about it, whereas the Highway One uses American parts including the pickups, so it's probably going to be a nicer instrument, although watch out for the HW1 nitro finish. It's prone to flake off in places, but some people like that :)

But as always, you're going to get good and bad examples in all mass produced ranges, so try before you buy.

Rich.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='Helderius' post='588364' date='Sep 3 2009, 10:20 AM']I pretend to get one of these Basses[/quote]

It took me a while to realise that you intend to get one... got a bit confused by the typo! Just to offer a different view, I prefer the MIM Classic series by a mile. These rival the CIJ/MIJ basses in terms of quality and don't be put off by the Mexico tag. The difference between these and the MIM Standards is as vast as between the Squier VM series and the entry level basses. Some people like the HWY1 series but I couldn't get on with the feel of the instruments. It's all subject to tastes I guess but I'd try both before you buy as I'm sure both opinions here are valid.

• Like 1

I had a 50's classic for about a week before i sent it back. The ONLY issue i had was i felt the neck was too wide. Im happy playing 5 strings but i wanted a 4 string P and at first went for the classic but found the neck too wide.
I sent it back and got a HW-one (not a HW1, the older version) and it felt much better. Plus i liked the finish.

I never got to play the classic through an amp but i didnt put it through guitar Rig on my PC and felt it sounded great, but not quite as nice as the HW-one through the same set up.
Just my experience.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='YouMa' post='598071' date='Sep 14 2009, 12:04 PM']I love my HW1 jazz i think they are a great deal i even got a badass2 with it,and the neck is great i will get the P bass version next,shame they dont make these with maple necks.[/quote]

I also have a HW1 Jazz with BA2 on it and it is indeed a wonderful bass. I'll probably never sell it as the neck will come in handy if i ever go back to 4 strings as ive had this neck on P's arlready. Just love the feel of it.

Yes, if you can, try both - they're really quite different animals, not least in terms of overall cosmetic vibe. I don't think either is an option for me, as a lefty, so I may not be so hot on the details, but I think I'm right in saying that if you're particularly keen on a maple or a rosewood board, that'll make the choice for you.... I could be wrong thoug,h I might be thinking of only the lefty models of the HW1 (which are only available rosewood; Fender don't do a lefty at all in the classic 50s, which is why I don't own either).

[quote name='Helderius' post='601093' date='Sep 17 2009, 10:19 AM']Fender Precision Classic 50s Photos
keep them coming...[/quote]

Mine pre-dates the MIM Classic series and is a modified 20yr old MIJ version of the 50s P-bass but

and I also own the early 50s classic series P-bass

Both are excellent. Both modified with Seymour Duncan pickups, change of pickguards, ashtray covers and thumb rests.

• 10 years later...

I had one of the first Highway One basses, back when they had a standard bridge, skinny neck, easy player, but a rather generic pbass sound.

I almost ditched the Classic 50's because of the wide neck, I got it used just before lockdown..... since then I've found myself picking it up more and more - it has great character to the sound, and to my ears the wider maple neck adds to the tone.

I still feel a little clumsy on it, but am now sticking with it.

Here's a recording I did with it using a Zoom R8 recorder.... it has Roto flats on it now, which seem to suit the wider neck.

Edited by Tim Chapple
  • Like 1