Why become a member? ×

What is your favorite bass?

XxBassMastaXx

[quote name='Russ' post='587649' date='Sep 2 2009, 04:39 PM']Just as a matter of interest, in your avatar, Flea is using his Modulus Flea Bass (now known as the Funk Unlimited)... he hasn't used Stingrays for years, and rarely ever recorded with one.[/quote]

Flea also used a fender jazz for most of californication

yh i like stingrays cos of flea as well

[quote name='XxBassMastaXx' post='587881' date='Sep 2 2009, 07:06 PM']thats the thing about stingrays. They all have great deep full tone that i love![/quote]

Stingrays do sound great. Just don't think you're going to get the recorded RHCP bass sound with one. :) I remember when BSSM came out, there were lots of very annoyed bass players who went out and bought Stingrays after hearing it, and were disappointed that they couldn't get anywhere close to the tone on the album...

[quote name='XxBassMastaXx' post='587939' date='Sep 2 2009, 07:42 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ImKQ53C-I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ImKQ53C-I[/url][/quote]

Ah, from the old Flea bass instructional video... the bits with him being interviewed by a completely wasted River Phoenix are priceless. :)

That Flea DVD is sooooooo........bad.

On Topic- My Favourite Bass is a between either my '91 Tobias 6, my
Roscoe LG3500, or my newly bought Shuker Singlecut 5.

Having said that,I keep coming back to my trusty Fender Jazz, which I find so
easy and comfortable to play.

My favourite basses are my;

Rickenbacker 4001 finished in Jetglo
Gibson EB2 in Cherry Red
Gibson Thunderbird IV in Vintage Burst
Ibanez IC200 "Iceman" in Vintage Burst

The Ric is in semi retirement now, as is the EB2. The main basses I play are the Thunderbird, or the Iceman, but mostly the Thunderbird. Absolutely love it. Plays gorgeous, big fat tone, and...............NO NECK DIVE!!!! :) Just use a really good quality padded leather strap :brow:

[quote name='alexclaber' post='588028' date='Sep 2 2009, 08:45 PM']My RIM Custom 5.

The joy of a 36" scale thru-neck wenge/ash five with chambered body and outstanding passive electronics. Incomparably HUGE sound and so tonally and dynamically responsive to your playing.

Alex[/quote]

Thats a damn fine looking bass!
Blimey.

However, i would have to say that my favorite bass is my gsr 180. Its the only bass i know.
Otherwise my favorite bass would be a free one!
Cheers
Matt

[quote name='XxBassMastaXx' post='588381' date='Sep 3 2009, 10:39 AM']Well, at the moment I play my Ibanez BTB200 4 string. It has great active electronics but its the best thing i can afford. Oh well.[/quote]
I could only afford an Ibanez SR300 - great to play.

Always will want a Fender Jazz or P though, or maybe a Gibson EB3, really liked the tone Andy Fraser used to get on those Free records

6,827 registered members.
Probably 6,827 different answers :rolleyes:

[quote name='alexclaber' post='588028' date='Sep 2 2009, 09:45 PM']My RIM Custom 5.

The joy of a 36" scale thru-neck wenge/ash five with chambered body and outstanding passive electronics. Incomparably HUGE sound and so tonally and dynamically responsive to your playing.

Alex[/quote]
Ooh, I came over all unnecessary when I saw that. What a damn fine looking set of kit.

As for my favourite bass? Easy. My Shuke. :)
Closely followed by CK's old Ken Smith BSR5 and Pete's white Lakky DJ5.

I'm currently very, very happy with my Overwater Perception 5 string. It just feels like somebody really thought about it and cared. It is boringly good at everything. I does like a bit like my gran's sideboard though.

By far the nicest to look at is my black and maple Stingray. It's beautifully made and the neck is fantastic. The low output and the general difficulty in getting any kind of decent sound out of the G string is a bit of a disappointment, though.

A special prize does have to go to my Yamaha TRB4. They can be picked up for next to nothing and are just brilliant in every respect - apart from being in any way 'cool'. Much underrated.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='588461' date='Sep 3 2009, 11:43 AM']A special prize does have to go to my Yamaha TRB4. They can be picked up for next to nothing and are just brilliant in every respect - apart from being in any way 'cool'. Much underrated.[/quote]

+1. They're cracking basses, I got a 6 string TRB1006 recently. It's so.. playable!

My favourite is my Streamer Stage 1. Light weight, bites through the mix, P & J pickups, down-tunes well and is a pleasure to play. That ticks all the boxes for me! :)