Why become a member? ×

Jaydee Basses

Sonic_Groove

Its a Series I model (where's Bryan??!) - I suppose the proper model name is a `Jaydee Supernatural Series I Classic Session model! (the session models featured fancy woods etc).

I bought it off a mate of mine - originally, it was a natural finish over the entire bass (there's back facings too!) then he had it done in the greenburst - it then came to me and I've had it for around three years or so. I love the green colour but I think the clear trans red (not the deep wine red) will suit it better! There's one mini toggle for the LEDs and the other two are coil taps! The LEDs were originally mains powered via an Alembic-esque transformer box but I'm having it changed to use regular 9v batteries (too much messing around with cables etc etc).

Nick

As far as i can figure, series 1 is the same shape as mine, series 2 are narrower and have a scoop between the fingerboard and neck pickup, and series 3 are a smaller version of the series 1...

I'm probably way out, i'm just getting used to it.

Yeah, a bass with an externatl PSU sounds like a complete nightmare.

Still, if it's alright with you i'll be using the greenburst photo as a screansaver - I can see what you mean about changing to the red, should be a classy looking bass!

Johnbobs custom on the first page is ridiculous, I keep staring at it.

I think the electronics on my Roadie IIA are a winner, don't know how many more switches and knobs I could deal with!

These really are fantastic basses, and i've got rough sketches already drawn up for my custom - I've had a few interesting ideas for headstock facings etc.

I just need to figure out what to sell to fund it...haha.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='598258' date='Sep 14 2009, 03:07 PM']Do you mean something like this old girl...

Its being refinished in the same red as the bass featured on the first page of the JD website - it should be done soon - can't wait to get it back![/quote]

I'm so sad you're having that refinished; it's possibly my 2nd favourite Jaydee ever. I absolutely love the colour. :)

[quote name='4000' post='598551' date='Sep 14 2009, 07:14 PM']I'm so sad you're having that refinished; it's possibly my 2nd favourite Jaydee ever. I absolutely love the colour. :)[/quote]

Sorry m8! I absolutely love green basses (in fact I'm having my Roadie fretless done in a deep bottle green tint) but the way it worked with the mahogany core wood was kind of `yuck'. I think the red will set it off better!

Which is your favourite JD then?

This is mine! (well it was ten years ago!)

Blimey - there's my old SWR/PV bass rig, rack system and a Pangborn and a Fender MK Jazz! And I had hair!

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='598534' date='Sep 14 2009, 07:01 PM']As far as i can figure, series 1 is the same shape as mine, series 2 are narrower and have a scoop between the fingerboard and neck pickup, and series 3 are a smaller version of the series 1...[/quote]

Andy - your bass is a Series III mate - as noted, a scaled down version of the Series I shape.

Cheers

Nick

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='598534' date='Sep 14 2009, 07:01 PM']As far as i can figure, series 1 is the same shape as mine, series 2 are narrower and have a scoop between the fingerboard and neck pickup, and series 3 are a smaller version of the series 1...

Johnbobs custom on the first page is ridiculous, I keep staring at it.

These really are fantastic basses, and i've got rough sketches already drawn up for my custom - I've had a few interesting ideas for headstock facings etc.

I just need to figure out what to sell to fund it...haha.[/quote]

Hey Andy,

They are indeed fantastic basses!

My custom GA24 is the cocobolo one with the Pangborn-esque headstock on the Custom Specials page of the Jaydee website...and it's my current avatar.

Like Nick's Session, mine has the coil tap switches so it's a lot more versatile. It's a tighter sound overall than the Classic/MK series models but I can get everything from trebly slap to a fantastic growly Jazz tone to a P-bass thump with very little tweaking. In fact, it also manages a very passable impression of a Stingray too, dunno how...!

Body-wise, the GA24 is between the Series I and Series III - about 14.5 inches across - and slightly shorter in length. A good alternative for thos of us who're slightly on ths short side!

John's a great guy - he'll accommodate any design ideas you have (like my 'blasphemous' headstock, for Jaydee purists!) and give his valuable opinion of what might or might not work.

Anyway don't worry about the funding bit, get on and order one! Mine was 16 months from order to delivery - plenty of time for you to save up!!! :)

Best,

David

I saw Level 42 in this year for the first time and they were incredible, two years later and it would be suits, stylists, expensive videos, stadiums and the end of pogoing at their gigs.
Marks' Jaydee sounded evil live.
Enjoy.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQEZfiOtybU&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQEZfiOtybU...feature=related[/url]

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='598883' date='Sep 15 2009, 12:09 AM'](in fact I'm having my Roadie fretless done in a deep bottle green tint)[/quote]
What, as in my old Roadie fretless? Blige :rolleyes:
What else you having done to it? And has John found the hi-tech EMG pickup mounting system yet? :)

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='597873' date='Sep 14 2009, 12:09 AM']Just as a bit of proof, here are a few pics.

The previous owner did a few messy patch ups on the paint and added/removed a thumbrest. It plays amazingly well though.[/quote]

that really is a lovely roadie you have there mate, if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for it?
i love mine, its a 1981 model with a rare stripe through the middle and it just sounds incredible, like no other bass ive ever heard before, mine the series 2 shape :)...

here it is along with my dads series 1, f***ing amazing piece of kit it is, (not the difference in body size)

and the series one:

plenty of jaydee here (i really think this should be done again sometime i would definately be there):

and last pic (me getting into the pursuit of accidents album):

marcus

x

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='598883' date='Sep 15 2009, 12:09 AM']Sorry m8! I absolutely love green basses (in fact I'm having my Roadie fretless done in a deep bottle green tint) but the way it worked with the mahogany core wood was kind of `yuck'. I think the red will set it off better!

Which is your favourite JD then?[/quote]

The first one I ever saw....the Starchild. :)

id pay 800 quid for one anyday mate ill never sell mine ever ever....not for all the money in the world it means too much to me in every way like in terms of the actual bass and the fact that my dad gave it to me....:)

the starchild is just fantastic :rolleyes: check it out on youtube when mark king is playin heathrow and almost there on the old grey whistle test in 1982 with level 42 :lol:
and also check out moo's starchild copy over on the great site statii.com he has 16.5mm string spacing on his and a satin finish neck its gorgeous

Meant to say, this pic that Marcus posted was taken at the Jaydee 25th Anniversary Open Day at the old workshop in Bartholomew Street, Birmingham, back in the summer of 2001. It was the most incredible day with loads of JD fans and owners together; John was blown away by the turnout and we had some lovely food!

Andy T - if you look closely, my Classic bass (the one being refinished at present) is the third one in from the left - this was how it looked when it was first completed, in the natural finish.

Starting on the right of the first row, working towards the left, we had the claro Walnut GA24/25 which was made to commemorate that year (was owned by Marcus Littler), then we had the very first Jaydee (001) and then, my ex-King Classic (00002). The pink GA24 at the back was mine, I then sold it and bought it back last year! If you look really closely, there's Nick Redman's three pickup Custom bass (just behind 00002), which was essentially a Series II MK model with an extra p/up such that he could attain both MK and GA sounds!

The natural is great too, the Green/Blue burst is beautiful but i'm sure the red will be a winner.

I've just had a P.M. from a previous owner of my Jaydee regarding some history on my 71180!

There are rumours it started life as a Rodie 1, lived in the netherlands for a while and then came to Manchester Via Oxford (Wierdly, Johnny Roadhouse is on Oxford Road - Not quite a link of any weight)...

I hope this all tallies up, as i'd love to have the history on this new-to-me bass.

Any plans for another get together? Although it sounds like John and the chaps are up to their eyes in it!?

i would love to go to one of the open days...i mean i need to go and see john soon cus i want a brass nut put on my jaydee and all the brasswork on mine refurbed and finally the led to get done...

Ive just made a deal with a guy on the status website and im getting a series 1 status but after a while mor of saving the jaydee will go in for a service but its an amazing instrument and itll always be with me, we all need to meet up with these jaydees soon itll be great how about music live?

X

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='600946' date='Sep 17 2009, 12:44 AM']Ah!

I think your bass was actually up for sale at Wunjo Guitars (Denmark street) a couple of years ago - I played it (when it was the single p/up with the thumbrest!).

Can any of the lads confirm this?[/quote]

Yep, that's right. It also had a lump out of the body and neck!
After I bought it, I took it to John who did all the work.
FP

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='599795' date='Sep 16 2009, 12:23 AM']Ah! You mean this one!! Here's me with Morgan Roussell at his flat in Paris with our two famous JDs:

I suppose its the bass equivalent of name dropping - however, I would not advocate `bass dropping'[/quote]

As I've said previously that was the first JD I ever saw (and what a one to see; I'm a sucker for fancy inlays for a start) and was being played in a way I couldn't imagine at that point (I'd never heard [i]anybody[/i] slap before, let alone Mark King!). I thought (and still think) it's one of the most beautiful instruments I've ever seen.

Edited by 4000

yeah nick but itd be convienient for everyone :)....oh im trying to think what about like a conference room somewhere or at someones house, preferabbly not mine as i live in a small 3 bed haha!

but yeah itd be great for a load of people to get together,

hey nick im soon to own my first status, got a bargain on it needs a bit of work but itll be cool when ive done with it, its an energy model but im going to have a graphite neck put on it, and maybe some new pickups e.g. kingbass pickups and the kingbass circuit, as well as a refinish? what dya reckon?