Why become a member? ×

Marcus in the pocket

ped

Just found this video. Normally I find Marcus' playing a bit wild but love it when he sticks in the pocket. Not sure what the video is about but it looks like he cooks up this bassline in no time and totally nails the tune. Of course he can't help but try and own the tune with a cheeky solo, too...

ped

[quote name='The Funk' post='579987' date='Aug 25 2009, 11:06 AM']This is that French programme hosted by Manu Katché where he gets different famous musicians together and gets then to jam through things - everything that Later with Jools Holland should be but isn't.[/quote]

Really?? Manu is one of my fave drummers and the first musician I knew by name.

[quote name='ped' post='580014' date='Aug 25 2009, 11:20 AM']Really?? Manu is one of my fave drummers and the first musician I knew by name.[/quote]

Yep. Someone else posted a clip from his show a while ago with some other killer musicians. I then went to the site and went through as many different clips as I could find.

Jools Holland did this sort of thing with MM and Dave Sanborn on a U.S show ..where they invited guests

Worked really well most of the time.

The guitarists were Hiram Bullock, mostly, and sometimes Roben ford. Drummer was Omar Hakim..
Keys was Phillip Saisse

[quote name='JTUK' post='580212' date='Aug 25 2009, 01:57 PM']Jools Holland did this sort of thing with MM and Dave Sanborn on a U.S show ..where they invited guests

Worked really well most of the time.

The guitarists were Hiram Bullock, mostly, and sometimes Roben ford. Drummer was Omar Hakim..
Keys was Phillip Saisse[/quote]

Think I saw a few of those... Omar is another fave. Didn't they do the joke where they disproved people who said it was because they played good instruments that they sounded so good, and had a jam on some plastic toy instruments and still sounded tight?

For me, this is the sign of a truly great bass player; we all know he can do the fancy stuff, he knows he can do the fancy stuff, but despite this he just plays the basic line that the song requires. Fantastic.

Like Ped, I rate Manu Katche as one of the best and most tasteful players I've ever heard. Comes across as being a really nice guy, too.

Edited by Rumble

I have heard so many examples of Marcus doing in the pocket stuff, i love it when he stretches his bass playing myself..dont forget, for most of his career he has been a session player...what is the guy waffling on about at the start?? i felt for him he sounded very intimidated... Ok its Marcus Miller but it sounded very awkward!..

Not sure if its a sign of a truly great bass player, hes a professional session musician..his profession is to play to what the song requires..

Marcus is very versatile, and any wild stuff he may play has always been in a solo context, and very musical..i see nothing wild in it... :)

Have to say though bloody loved the singing and the tune, wonderful..

Edited by bubinga5

I guess wild is the wrong word, but I like it when he nails it to a groove. There is a good track called 'Ooh' (feat. Lalah Hathaway) where he starts off with a sweet groove and does some tasty soloing over the top... it is really fun to play bass along to, keeping the original groove going under his solo.

ped

Yes that Lalah track is superb Ped, good call..

Love this, Marcus with Meshell Ndegeocello... lovely picking at the start, but some beautiful slapping after, you can so hear that MM tone..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r63PfJiEDq4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r63PfJiEDq4[/url]

This is one of the best simple (fit the song slap bass lines) ive ever heard, tis a small detail, but check the chromatic climb to E at 0.22. .Little bits like this i love..amazing...just fantastic.. Marcus sessioning for Luther Vandross

Oh my simple mind.... [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KraIB1z0aac"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KraIB1z0aac[/url]

Edited by bubinga5

Nice vid.

I thought it was funny that the guitarist told Marcus that the chorus of the song went "like (Sly Stone´s) If You Want Me to Stay" and whoever did the subtitles didn´t get the musical reference, tried to make sense of it and translated it to "if you want me to continue..." :)

Great stuff - but this is the way pros work - no nonsense, learn the tune, play... if you can play jazz at a high level, like Marcus does, these changes aren't very hard (obviously!) and it's the kind of B-line MM can play in his sleep, but it's lovely stuff and a cool tune as well - so thanks for posting.

Yeah it was a bit awkward! Marcus didn't do much to ease the situation either by the looks of it.

Notice his miniature ashtray. I tried one of those and it is a brilliant solution to the problem of a larger width one covering a fair amount of the plucking area. They are pretty common on Japanese super-jazzes like Atelier-Z and Bacchus, and I have seen them on Fodera basses too. Perhaps Marcus is thinking of adding them to the MIJ sig instruments?

ped

[quote name='ped' post='581973' date='Aug 26 2009, 11:38 PM']Yeah it was a bit awkward! Marcus didn't do much to ease the situation either by the looks of it.

Notice his miniature ashtray. I tried one of those and it is a brilliant solution to the problem of a larger width one covering a fair amount of the plucking area. They are pretty common on Japanese super-jazzes like Atelier-Z and Bacchus, and I have seen them on Fodera basses too. Perhaps Marcus is thinking of adding them to the MIJ sig instruments?

ped[/quote]
Marcus is the man! Thanks for posting. Reminded me of the VHS casettes I have from the 80's with the Miller/Sanborn/Holland shows - should really have them transfered to DVD...

About the mini PU cover - I've been looking left and right to get one, but always ended up in Japan. Where to get one without paying through the nose?