Why become a member? ×

Which of my basses should i use for a video?

gafbass02

...and is it going to be a dark environment - if so, wear a light coloured bass - and vice versa. Don't want to be disappearing into the background.

Sound advice on linking bass to what you're wearing for image consistency - also, will there be any blue-screen work at any point in the vid - issues with blue vs blue?

[quote name='gafbass02' post='578998' date='Aug 24 2009, 01:01 PM'][/quote]

um right, I may differ here in the approach to choosing to most folk. Your best bet would be to send this photo to the director and let him/her choose.
The question is not 'what is the coolest looking bass' or 'which will stand out most' but which bass will make my band look good.

Approach it purely visually.

1 What colour is the background. What is the style and image of the scenery? What is the concept of the video? How are you lit? Coloured gels will affect the way your bass's colours look.

2 What are you and the rest of the band wearing? all black like the photos in your myspace? dressed up like cowboys? spacemen? I dunno but visually it will affect it.

3 How does your band wish to come across? How do you (collectively) want to bass player to come across? Do you think you will be leaping around the front of the shot like Flea or standing looking cool in the shadows? That will affect choise.

4 also remember, however brilliant you may be, 90% of folk who see your video dont care about the bass. Or even possibly the bassist. I disagree with the idea to 'stand out', or if you're in black use the white bass. (very Hives) Only stand out if you actually think that makes the band look better.
Also the fender bass shapes are recognisable and classic, making you look classic in your styling. The aria is a lovely but very very 80's visually.
It shouldn't matter but it does, Fender over Squier, it could be picked up in a shot. You're not going for the grunge/punk look so avoid squier. Its all about looking good.

All said I would go for the '57 P bass (without the mute and cover- unless you are standing stock still at the back in a '50's style) or the blue one. Mark Hoppus plays a random custom P- J thing. The bloc party bass player's bass is the same colour and you don't see him and think hes a bit mark hoppus do you.

any way thats my 2p

[quote name='gafbass02' post='578972' date='Aug 24 2009, 12:44 PM']Ok so im shooting a video with loungefly this weekend for our song 'lap it up', and of course rather than 'what shall I wear' or 'aaarrgh my skins really bad at the moment!'

My first thought is 'What bass am I gonna use?!?'

Now my sonic blue jazz is the bass most people have associated with me over the years so i feel like thats the one i should use, but its the colour, I LOVE it but im worried as the song is a bit punky I could come of all, 'I wanna be Mark Hoppus'. ( I have taken the animal sticker off though)

So then i thought my black n gold Geddy, it looks nice, its kinda shiny, but black is a bit dull.

So the white jazz?, or Aria for some retro coolness, or the tatty 'relic' P bass replica, which i think might look cool, but is it too 'done'? and then its covers on/covers off time?

You see my dilemma, so im putting the word out lol, which do you guys (and gals) reckon?

[/quote]

droooolllllllllllllllllllllllll

the white one...now i can relax