Why become a member? ×

Aguilar DB112... WOW...

BigBassBob

[quote name='4000' post='577846' date='Aug 22 2009, 08:48 PM']My mate uses a single GS112 with a Markbass LMK in a regularly gigging cover band, doing stuff like Springsteen, Eagles etc. I think he hardly gets the rig past 2 or 3. Feel free to chime in Stu![/quote]

Stu's band plays fairly low backline levels, pretty sure that was the main reason for using the single cab.

I bought Shauns (4000's) 2 GS112's off him, great sounding cabs, but didn't for second suit his Rick tone at all. We go for massively different tones. I like a very modern twang, I like having the horn.

At a gig where the backline was our pal, Stuarts 2 GS112's and Mark bass head, the first bass player had a tone to me that was superb (active warwick dolphin from memory...great player as well), shaun's passive Rick through the same rig just didn't do his playing any justice at all.

I have been gigging recently with just the one cab, mainly as it is plenty loud enough for the small gigs I have been doing. but have to say the two cabs paired together are superb.

As always, one mans tone is another mans bag of washing..... :)

Dave

Edited by david_l_perry

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='580431' date='Aug 25 2009, 04:58 PM']Stu's band plays fairly low backline levels, pretty sure that was the main reason for using the single cab.

I bought Shauns (4000's) 2 GS112's off him, great sounding cabs, but didn't for second suit his Rick tone at all. We go for massively different tones. I like a very modern twang, I like having the horn.

At a gig where the backline was our pal, Stuarts 2 GS112's and Mark bass head, the first bass player had a tone to me that was superb (active warwick dolphin from memory...great player as well), shaun's passive Rick through the same rig just didn't do his playing any justice at all.

I have been gigging recently with just the one cab, mainly as it is plenty loud enough for the small gigs I have been doing. but have to say the two cabs paired together are superb.

Dave[/quote]

Dave, as many will know, generally plays on 11....or possibly even 12. So if one works for him, even if only at small gigs.....

As Dave says, that's why Stu uses the one cab, but he has told me on several occasions that he prefers one to two.

The 1st player was Jim, who owns my old Warwick Dolphin Pro 2. He's also the guy who owns my old Ashdown combo, and he told me at the gig that he preferred my Ashdown head to the LMK.

Just to clarify, I actually had my Ashdown ABM plugged into the cabs at that gig. I was having a general nightmare all round to be honest (couldn't hear what I was playing for a start, and just about everything was going wrong!); I sold my bass off the back of that gig, I was so p*ssed off with it. I think it was the worst gig I've ever played, and I've played a few stinkers. Hated every second of it. Maybe a soundcheck would've helped seeing as we'd only gigged once in a year, but hey ho.

I'm so glad you bought those cabs Dave. How's the arm BTW?

I've been using an Aguilar DB112 (in chocolate thunder, THE best colour IMO) for a few months now with my Warwick Streamer Jazzman and it really suits my tone, modern/slap/trebly etc. Until recently I felt using just one was under-powered but I was holding back from turning up the volume on it due to clipping from the pod-into preamp which sounded like a problem with the cab when pushing the volume. My last gig on Friday I finally sussed out the clipping problem, turned up the master and MAN.....what a sound from just the one cab. I have just ordered a second this morning (DB112NT from The Bass Merchant, best prices I could find online) and can't wait to try this out with the other in anger at my next gig.

regards Ashdown mentioned in this topic, I've used the heads in rehearsal studios but never the cabs. However, through an Ampeg 8x10 they sound utter crap and so, IMO I'd never own one.
Cheers.

[quote name='4000' post='580570' date='Aug 25 2009, 06:53 PM']I'm so glad you bought those cabs Dave. How's the arm BTW?[/quote]

The arm is nearly fixed...still a bit broken...but [i]almost [/i]back to normal...... :)

Got a gig with a floyd band in a couple of weeks and will probably only use the single GS112, but then it could be a loud one...Yep both of them it is......Just hope my arm holds up..

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='583048' date='Aug 27 2009, 11:07 PM']The arm is nearly fixed...still a bit broken...but [i]almost [/i]back to normal...... :)

Got a gig with a floyd band in a couple of weeks and will probably only use the single GS112, but then it could be a loud one...Yep both of them it is......Just hope my arm holds up..[/quote]

Just PM'd you Dave; best of luck with the gig and particularly the arm!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='580431' date='Aug 25 2009, 04:58 PM']Stu's band plays fairly low backline levels, pretty sure that was the main reason for using the single cab.

Dave[/quote]

Hi Guys,

Yes Dave, the main reasons for the single cab, is to get the backline level down so that my bass tone does not compromise the on stage monitoring, the three part harmonies etc on the Fleetwood Mac and Eagles tunes are quite tough on the singists and to give full authority to the sound engineer, front of house to get the best sound out of the performance i.e. no bleed over.

That said, I have used my LMK and single GS112 as a backline without pa support, in smaller venues with my regular band and as a dep for a local blues band in both cases a simple vocal PA was in use. I had taken two cabs but ended up using one!!

I see a lot bass players who perhaps do not appreciate how much cabs can throw their sound, they stand in front of a couple of 4 x 10s struggle to hear themselves whilst people in the middle of the room get too much volume. A bit of distance between bass player and cab can make a lot of difference. In many circumstances a smaller set up can give you more control.

I play quite a lot, up to three gigs a week with my main band, a jazz band jamming session most weeks, and a rehearsal, convenience is important. I have my LMK in the markbass rucksack type case, so bass, cab, and amp can be carried from car into venue in one trip. I have used this set up since 2005 with no real signs of wear or breakdowns (after lots of gigs), I get a great tone using my MM stingray, feedback from other bass players has been positive and I may have inspired one or two purchases of LMKs and Aguilars!

I also use a 1977 fender precision with tru bass strings and a Gary Willis Ibanez fretless, through the same set up and I think I get good results. I possibly agree with Shaun and Dave regarding the Ricks, I used a Rick for a while and whilst I got a good tone using my LMK and Aguilars my trace elliot rig really let the sound out better.

One cab is plenty for most applications, especially if you have pa support. The master volume on the LMK seldom gets above 2! I cannot recommend the Mark Bass and Aguilar combination more highly.

Stu

[quote name='Bluepigbass' post='598225' date='Sep 14 2009, 02:35 PM']I see a lot bass players who perhaps do not appreciate how much cabs can throw their sound, they stand in front of a couple of 4 x 10s struggle to hear themselves whilst people in the middle of the room get too much volume. A bit of distance between bass player and cab can make a lot of difference.[/quote]

Indeed, though it's not due to 'throw' it's due to dispersion. Maximum loudness is right up against the cab but only if you're on-axis (i.e. the speaker is pointing right at your ears) - stand up close but off to the side or have the speaker firing at your knees and then you'll feel and hear all the lows but you won't get the mids and highs (and that's what sounds loud and cuts through).

When a player with a tall rig is having this problem it's either because they're standing to the side and thus aren't hearing their mids (4x10" cabs are very directional) and/or because they've managed to position both their rig and themselves so that they're standing in a low frequency null (where the reflections from the walls are cancelling out the direct sound from the cab).

Alex

Anybody got GS212s?

Lots of people in thread have either one or two 112 cabs. Probably a wise choice! I have a GS212 which I love to bits: loud, punchy, rich and deep but still clear. Quite weighty though, about 30kg. Luckily it comes with casters.

I had no idea about the mid scoop when I bought it (I bought it because it looked cool and was going cheap) but now it's been mentioned it does make sense. For my rig I put that mid straight back in with the Epifani 310 sitting on top, but when using just the Aguilar I do have to beef up the mids on the amp eq.

All in all the GS212 is in my experience a brilliant bottom cab. Suitably rugged for stacking heavy stuff on top of and has wheels! And not a 15" so a bit different.

Jon

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='577458' date='Aug 22 2009, 11:27 AM']Sorry Peter, they 'sound' slightly better as a pair when in classic black and silver. :)

On a serious note; if you think the single DB sounds good wait till you do try them doubled up. Honestly, they are better than the sum of the parts.

[/quote]

Actually, you're both wrong. I think you'll find the new "White Hot" is the best sounding colour! I love it!

Actually you're all wrong. The tweed version has the most mojo and therefore sounds better. I have had these for a while now and had an Ashdown ABM500 EVO II and an Aguilar AG500SC (I still own the Aguilar) and they're the best sounding cabs I've ever heard. Honestly.

About the optical illusion: you're right! Except on the last pic, the bottom cab seems bigger, but that, of course, is perspective :)

[quote name='BassAgent' post='599638' date='Sep 15 2009, 09:40 PM']Actually you're all wrong. The tweed version has the most mojo and therefore sounds better. I have had these for a while now and had an Ashdown ABM500 EVO II and an Aguilar AG500SC (I still own the Aguilar) and they're the best sounding cabs I've ever heard. Honestly.

About the optical illusion: you're right! Except on the last pic, the bottom cab seems bigger, but that, of course, is perspective :)[/quote]

The tweed is very nice. They're all nice, dammit. Except the Green, that's bloody awful...

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='600988' date='Sep 17 2009, 03:42 AM']Three green ones sounds unbelievable, well at least it does now I changed the head to an Epifani UL902C. The Mesa head is garbage!

[/quote]

sorry I criticised your colour, mate, but 3 stacked together just looks great! I bet it sounds great as well. Well envious. (Thinks to self.....mmm, need 3 in White Hot....)

• 5 weeks later...

They are fine for carrying one handed using the one handed handle although I find one in each hand a struggle but I'm no tower of power. The strap type handle did concern me a little at first but it's substantial.

I usually carry two handed with the other hand under the other side. So to sum up, not a problem for me one at a time.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='630424' date='Oct 19 2009, 03:25 PM']I picked up a DB112 and they arent that bad a weight at all.

Id probably carry one at once if I went down the 2 x 112 route.[/quote]
go down the route....go down the route the 2 DB112s sound amazing!!
:)